Always Worship
Very Happy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Always Worship
Very Happy
Always Worship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Genesis 15

+2
JacobPk
Roh
6 posters

Go down

Genesis 15 Empty Genesis 15

Post  Roh Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:59 pm

Hey guys! I'm sorry I missed yesterday's devotions. It's midterm time (though it's no excuse), and I haven't been able to devote my priorities straight, and devotions should be an every-day priority.

Please check your emails, for Hannah has sent out the weekly announcement/song list email and I would appreciate it if you replied back to me, or Hannah that you received it. Whenever you get an email like that, I want you guys to reply so I know that you're listening to the songs and doing your devos and keeping up with praise team info. up-to-date.

Genesis 14 & 15 were about Abram and Lot, and God's covenant with Abram. The latter of the two really struck me in terms of some sort of enlightenment from the message. These chapters, compared to the New Testament ones that we studied, are harder to read between the lines because they're more of stories than little sentences of "truth" and insight. I mean, it's a lot easier to get meaning out of Jesus' direct words than it is the interpret ancient stories, right? But it's interesting, and you CAN read between the lines if you devote your time and focus to it. God went up to Abram and told him not to be afraid, for God is his shield and his very great reward. I like that Abram did in response to that. Most people would just go, "Thanks God." and settle with that. But since Abram had some problems of his own and felt like his life had been a challenge, he decided to question God and say, "How can I not be afraid in this world?" He probably didn't say that, but it seems to me like Abram was complaining and questioning. Which is, totally fine. I think that's what's important in our relationships with God. It must be a two-way relationship, and we need to remember that God is always listening. God wants to hear our insight on his actions towards us and look what God did here. He reassured Abram that he was going to have children. Then, "Abram believed the Lord, and He credited it to him as RIGHTEOUSNESS." Questioning God when it feels like he's speaking to you and listening to what he has to say about your complaints is simply RIGHT. It's the right thing to do.

Remember to listen to God, and if you have any questions, ask, or complain, and he'll answer you right back. I know, it seems so abstract and sketchy telling you to "listen" and "complain" to a figure-less being, but if you sit down at night before you sleep and examine what you've been praying for and how it has been changing, you'll see that God has been working.

Roh
Roh
Roh
Admin

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-09-09

https://milal.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Genesis 15 Empty 15

Post  JacobPk Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:50 pm

I got a phone exchange ... for the same phone Smile

Ok Another covenant God makes, but this time to Abram. "Do nto be afraid I am your shield, your very great reward."
When i read this, i thought on the word 'reward' Isn't reward something you recieve only after you've done something to achieve it? Back fomr the previous chapter, Abram stayed faithful to the Lord and was rewarded. I Learned that the more pleasing thingsd yoo do for God, the greater the reward God has in store for you in heaven. I think having that mentality isn't that great, but overtime, i think God can use that to be changed into something else. I'm nto being clear aha. It's natural for a human to want more of something if they like it, or if it feels good. So wouldn't we strive more to do what God pleases in order to get those rewards? Now tahst a bad thought. But i think God can change you so that it isn't even about getting the reward in heaven. Doing things that please God are rewards, because God himself is a reward and we are priviledged to worship him.
It's like this... hmm... You bring out your friend to church, only because he'she thinks there are cute guys'girls. Lets say there is one hot guy(Isaac) and this girl is attached to him. If thats the only thing that brings her out to church, you would say" Thats not a good reason" BUT theres GOD Smile He can immediately use that and change what attracted her to coming to church into something else. It's all based on faith, you can't give up because something seems unlikely to happen. God does things in strange ways and all we got to do is believe Smile
Want to back this up with verse 6. Abram believed the Lord and God credited him.
Believeing in prayer is important, we need to understand how important prayer is and what God can do through it.
Prayer is nothing if you have doubt in your mind.
Just like how Jesus said to Thomas" Stop doubting and believe" We need to do the same Smile

So We're all children of Abraham, pretty cool huh. SO in counting,,, we are ALL related Smile Incest.
Can't wait till Friday
Ciao
JacobPk
JacobPk
Disposable

Number of posts : 458
Birthday : I like men

Back to top Go down

Genesis 15 Empty oh

Post  JacobPk Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:51 pm

And i got the songs
JacobPk
JacobPk
Disposable

Number of posts : 458
Birthday : I like men

Back to top Go down

Genesis 15 Empty Re: Genesis 15

Post  Isaac Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:45 pm

helllloooo
ok so i dont get one part
"Then birds of prey came down on the carcasses, but Abram drove them away. ". Why would he drive the away? some parts of the bible seem strange but im sure there is a reason for it. Also i see alot of "three"s . It seems to be a theme with the Bible.
I know roh, i attract lots of girls to this church but we would need SOOOO many more chairs (and that would lead to more work for JJ) so i decided to funnel them to other churches.... its a shame though, we could use more pretty girls in our ministry. Razz
But the reward thing is a key part of this segment of Abram. But like sams says a lot, God doesnt give based on your work or take based on your work. we all know the phrase "he gives and takes away". When i first heard this i was shocked because i would think "why the hell would God take something that belongs to me??" but now i realize that when God has a plan, it may not seem good at first because we dont see the big picture.
Next chapter = the coming of the Great Isaac of Abraham. What an amazing name.... so sick. Dont we all wish we had that name??? cheers
Anyway have a good Thursday buds and buddettes.
E-Sak OUT!
p.s i did/ downloaded all the music Roh
Isaac
Isaac
Admin

Number of posts : 916
Birthday : will you eat my baguette?

Back to top Go down

Post  hannahlee Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:10 pm

I got the songs too. Hahaha, BAD JOKE.

I'M GOING TO THE OPERA TOMORROW Smile
4 hours of Prokofiev's War & Peace. Seats in the nosebleeders, perfect to see the surtitles provided, seeing as how it's 4 hours of beautiful Russian. Hahaha, I'm so stoked. Speaking of which, I'll be getting home past midnight, so I'll try to do my devos during my spare before we leave at 1 and if not, write them on the Friday.

Genesis 15

Firstly, I liked what Roh brought attention to, about how Abram goes ahead and questions God's promises. Like he said, we're involved in a two-way relationship with God and He wants to listen, He wants us to bring all our thoughts, thanks, concerns, etc. to Him. As much as He's our great and mighty God and we're so undeserving of His love and mercy, and as much as we should simply obey His will, you know, there's something to being an even more active child of His on your part. And by active, I guess I mean taking example from Abram's actions and interacting, really talking with God, asking questions, bringing your concerns, etc. to Him on a regular basis. Something like it.

Secondly, this is the third time over the span of a few chapters where Abram's demonstrated ridiculous faith. Chapter 12, when God tells him to leave his country, people and family to go to an unknown land that He'd show him. Chapter 14, when Abram takes his 318 men against Kedorlaomer and his 3 allies, and goes out to fight when the odds are definitely not in his favour. And here, God promises Abram not only just a child at his 75+years of age, but as many offspring as there are stars in the sky. v.6 "Abram believed the Lord." Now if Abram isn't a man of faith, I don't know what is. I think especially in our time if anything remotely radical and out of our comfort zones were to be asked of us, we'd be quick to call it downright ridiculous and cast it off as nothing. We're a society very revolved around the "I" and anything that requires us to go out of our convenient way or risk being 'different' is often hard for many people, therefore it's more often than not, denied. But muuuuch more radical things were asked of Abram and he chose to listen. When God calls me to do something, my hope is that I can take an example from Abram and be a woman of faith, and with constant interaction with Him at all parts of the day, learn to have that steadfast confidence Abram has in the understanding that God will always provide.

Have sweet Thursdays, everyone!

- H
hannahlee
hannahlee
minion

Number of posts : 219
Birthday : how tall? CN tower tall...

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Ha Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:28 am

WOOT! GOING TO JOE SATRIANI'S CONCERT TMR AT MASSEY HALL WOOT!
hope there aren't ne a**holes smelling like weed sitting next to me...
btw it sucks he's not playing the song "Mystical Potato Head"... why would he take that out of the setlist?
ya.. just thought i'd let u know

neways..
I learned from this chapter that if God favours you, he will give you everything you could ever desire.
Also.. I learned from this that there probably is predestination in the world, so I keep asking myself... are bad people predestined to be bad?
Seriously... it's been bugging me for a while... I mean God says to Abram directly, "Know for certain that your descendants will be strangers in a country not their own, and they will be enslaved and mistreated four hundred years." right? So this is all planned out and stuff...
That's all I've got to say~
see ye guys on friday!
PSYCHED FOR TMR AND FRIDAY WOOOOO GO SATRIANI
Michael Ha
Michael Ha
minion

Number of posts : 214
Birthday : in you

Back to top Go down

Post  dennis Thu Oct 16, 2008 2:45 am

Hi,
sorry for the late devos..

Genesis 14

v.1 "Do not be afraid Abram. I am your shield, your very great reward."
This verse really stuck out for me from reading the whole passage. To start, the first part of this verse tells us not to be afraid. This just goes to further describe God's fatherly and loving characteristic. In fact, when I am scared (ie. walking home alone and only one other person is in the street), I quickly pray to make myself not scared. I don't know how effective it is, but there's a sense of safety I feel once I remind myself that God is always with me. Next, the fact that God is our shield shows that we can ask God to protect us, and He is the best shield out there. When we are tempted to sin, we can refer to the Bible to keep us from submitting to the "dark side", if you will. Also, whenever we're going through struggles, we can always find peace in the midst of hardships through God. Finally, God says that He is our very great reward. We didn't do anything grand to deserve such a great reward. I think that the reward God has given us does not depend on our accomplishments. However, I think that this reward can be received by anyone who is willing to accept God into their lives, and only great things will come out of the reward.

I'm leaving in... 7 hours.. I'll keep up with my devos, and e-mail them when I get back!
Have an amazing week and praise practice.
I'll miss you guys & girls!

-Denise
dennis
dennis
minion

Number of posts : 204

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down