Always Worship
Very Happy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Always Worship
Very Happy
Always Worship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Genesis 14!!!!!!!!

+2
JacobPk
Isaac
6 posters

Go down

Genesis 14!!!!!!!! Empty Genesis 14!!!!!!!!

Post  Isaac Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:53 pm

Hey guys, and guyettes?
Gen 14:
This chapter mentions tithing. Something that some people may have issues on or not totally understand. My old church was like HARDCORE TITHING. I was put under the impression that if i didnt tithe, i would burn in hell... that is not the case at all but it was very emphasized at my old church. For some of you aswell, may have different concepts of tithing. In the old testament tithing was almost a tax that every jew would give up 10% of their money/ crops to the church to help with sacrifices and pay for needs. In the new testament it doesn't say tithing as a "law" but Paul says that believers should set aside some of their earnings to help pay for needs of the church. Tithing should be a joyful occasion because we GET to (not have to) give something back to God. Like Sam says, we are given a chance to give back something that already belongs to God.
"Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver"- 2 Corinthians 9:7
We should pray about what we give. The 10% is just a recommended figure from the old testament but my mother (whos hardcore about tithing) always told me to give what i feel is right. For instance, on thanksgiving we give a lot because we are giving thanks to God for all that he has given us, little or a lot, because the actual AMOUNT doesn't matter thats why its in a % number. To God 100$ and 1$ is the same. Just how Jesus feeds the five thousands with little, God can provide us with the little we give back.

Thats just my two cents. I know it was long but i figured someone might want a little background check on tithing.
I hope you had a good 2sDay (ahaha Suspect ) and a good wed-nes-day.....
E-Sak OUT!
Isaac
Isaac
Admin

Number of posts : 916
Birthday : will you eat my baguette?
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

Genesis 14!!!!!!!! Empty hasuidhasirbeb f

Post  JacobPk Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:04 pm

Ok, how were your first days? I'm trying to learn bboy, lots of bruises and bumps but no paina no gain aha

Ok, i agree with Isaac 100% about how should and get to give back to the Lord.

Umm, this king Melchizedek, pretty random guy isn't he? He just pops out of nowhere , gives blessing and just disappears.

Verse 22 Abram remained faithful to God and in Him. I like the word 'Remain', it means "continuation in same state" (dictionary.com) only one i liked. Anyway Of course our relationship with Christ is never neutral, it is either going up or goiing down. In this case, goods, wealth etc was put before Abram, but Abram immediately refused to accept it and did what the Lord would have found favour in. There are many times where my relationship can be shaken to keep me from remaining in God. Things like money, time, family, are things God has blessed us with, but we use them as excuses to fall away fomr God. Shouldn't we give back what God gave us? So basically i'm trying to say, We should remain in God just like how Abram did. Without hesitation, will you be ready to go into Go'
ds direction? Or will there be things that will weigh you down?

Anyway, i wasn't detailed enough but i hope you guys get my point!

Ciaoo.
JacobPk
JacobPk
Disposable

Number of posts : 458
Birthday : I like men

Back to top Go down

Genesis 14!!!!!!!! Empty Re: Genesis 14!!!!!!!!

Post  hannahlee Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:48 pm

The week is almost over...Haha.

Genesis 14
#1. Really appreciated everything E-Sak brought up about tithing and what our intent behind it should be, etc.
#2. I've said this before, and I'll say it again, but as I read about Abram, I'm realizing there's so much to be learned from this man. Yesterday we looked at his humility in offering up the best to his nephew, and here we see him very well risking his life to rescue Lot and his possessions. He risked the 318 trained men of his household and pitted them against King Kedorlaomer and his alliance, who were probably at a much greater advantage. Verse 7 shows of their manpower to have conquered a number of cities, including Sodom and Gomorrha, where Lot was captured, and so they're evidently not a weak group of people. And yet, with these 318 men, Abram goes ahead and defeats Kedorlaomer and his allies. Now, the first great thing about Abram is the way that he lets none of this get to his head. If you led a group of people to win an epic battle when your odds of success were one in a million, I think a lot of us would have some part of our thoughts that unconsciously owed some part of the victory to ourselves. I mean, on a smaller scheme of things, we do that kind of a thing all the time, don't we? We turn to God when we need desperate help and once we come out strong, we fool ourselves into thinking we're capable of living and navigating our lives on our own. But Abram, instead, not for one second forgets that God was guiding him the entire way, and the first thing he does is offer a tithe. Secondly, in verse 22, when he refuses the gifts from the King of Sodom, you see Abram's wisdom at work once again. I can't help but think that if we were to live our lives with whole-hearted devotion as Abram does, then God would consistently provide us with wisdom to face our days, too.

Have fantastic Wed-nes-days, everybody! Smile

- H
hannahlee
hannahlee
minion

Number of posts : 219
Birthday : how tall? CN tower tall...

Back to top Go down

Post  dennis Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:49 pm

Bros & Sis's.
Today, we had our first official dance troupe practice, and my legs are dying right now. For an hour and a half, we used our bodies to write our names. I started writing my name with my derriere, and then realized that we had to make it more sophisticated and lyrical.. dang. So I was basically rolling around, doing random movements, and it was so funnn Smile Maybe we should try it once. yahh???

Anyhoot,

Genesis 14.

I love the fact the Abram had Lot's back even when Lot was living in a different place. Abram was probably living a great life with God blessing him in every way, but he gave it up to find his nephew who was being held captive. So, I hope that we all have each other's backs, so that, when one of us is suffering, the other eight will be more than willing to help that one person, like a trampoligne.... When someone's falling from the air, we can be the support system that catches him/her...... albino

v.19, 20 "Blessed be Abram by God Most High...And blessed be God Most High, who delivered your enemies into your hand."
From this verse, I realized that our actions should reflect God's will. Melchizedek ultimately blessed God as he blessed Abram. Because Abram carried out a selfless act to rescue the innocent people, Melchizedek saw God through him. For those of us who are not ready to physically tell other people about our faith, we can still evangelize through our actions. In everything that we do, if we are hopeful, selfless, loving, and humble, then it will be clear to people that there is something in us that makes us so unique, and that's God.

I am so tired....
Sleep

Adios
dennis
dennis
minion

Number of posts : 204

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:41 am

Hey Guys
Slept in this morning
haha
my mom made my brother take the bus to work so she could drive me to school with his car.. lol i felt really bad Razz

KK So yet again, Abram is PRETTY DANG COOL
When he found out that his nephew, Lot was taken away he got together his men and they attacked. Abram obviuously kikced butt, and he took back everything and everyone. Then Melchizedek comes and he blesses Abram. For this reason, Abram goes and gives him 10% of all of the goods he recovered. This is the first time in the bible that the idea of tithing comes up. Abram shows that he has no detachment to money; he gives away this 10%, but he also gives back all of the goods he recovered to the king of Sodom. When he does this, he goes furhter to say that the King of Sodom should go and give some of the money he's giving back to his allies. So Abram really shows us how generous and humble he is with wealth and material goods; he just really doesnt show any greed, any desire to keep it and use it for himself. And well, why would he when he's got God absolutely kicking butt for him? But if you think about it, God can totally kick butt for us too, we're just much more attached to money and we kind of go to God for a last resort. We always rely on ourselves, our money, whatever we have to get us through. But Abram showed this intense trust in God, that he didn't need the money. We can really learn from all of this; god doesnt ask us to tite becuase he needs money - he does it more so that we learn now to rely on it so much Smile
Cathy
Cathy
Disposable

Number of posts : 401

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Ha Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:18 am

In biblical times, you must fight to survive. Lot lived in Sodom and the four kings said, "iunno who this Lot is.. but I want him and his lot (haha).. dead!" Abram the Hebrew had one chance.. and his chance was to fight back. They didn't know who he was... With just 300 (+18 ) men by his side, Arnold Schwarzenegger this summer is...
UAHHHHHHHHHG
Abram the Hebrew...

Yee... i have time to waste and do things like that now, since i'm done with all the busy stuff yeeee
cheers
Anyway.. to say something actually meaningful...
I learned from this Chapter about harbouring the characteristics of a real man of God...
First, is loyalty...
Second, is knowing your share...
Third, is knowing other people's share...
Fourth, is recognizing God "who delievered your enemies into your hand."
Fifth, is not always relying on God, but believing in the choices he's laid out for you.
Sixth, is being humble...
Lastly, it's not the amount you give, but the amount that you keep that matters; keep what is necessary and give what is surplus, don't give an amount which breaches the necessities, since it is not the amount that counts but the spirit of giving...
I like this chapter, it's epic =]
Michael Ha
Michael Ha
minion

Number of posts : 214
Birthday : in you

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down