Always Worship
Very Happy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Always Worship
Very Happy
Always Worship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

genesis 27

+3
Isaac
JacobPk
dennis
7 posters

Go down

genesis 27 Empty genesis 27

Post  dennis Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:18 pm

So, I got off school early today, and went shopping with my madre. We didn't get any shopping done because we just wanted to eat, so we went upstairs to the food court, and I had "Jimmy the Friendly Greek" , and my mom had pho from "Thai express". Oh my goodness. That pho was the best pho I've ever had. So fresh, so minty, and so spicy. Do try it when you're at Yorkdale.. I strongly recommend ittt.

Genesis 27

To be perfectly honest, I don't really understand the passage. I get all the points, but I don't understand how Isaac can't just bless Esau who came after Jacob. Isaac says, "I have made him lord over you...So what can I possibly do for you, my son?". Not sure...

I did find the whole deception part really interesting. First, verse 11 was funny to me: "But my brother Esau is a hairy man, and I'm a man with smooth skin." Esau must've been really hairy geek ..harhar. Also, I wondered if our parents favor one kid over another, just as Rebekah and Isaac did. The fact that Rebekah was willing to go behind her dying husband's back to bring blessings to her favorite son Jacob was really interesting to me.

Yoo, let's watch "The Hunting of Molly Hartley".. hahahaha kidding!
dennis
dennis
minion

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

genesis 27 Empty Re: genesis 27

Post  JacobPk Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:00 pm

Unni, i don't think we should stick to phone conversations just yet aha.
today was a busy day, so frankly i'm getting a 70% in math. need to get an 80, only thing from discouraging me right now is my MIDTERM reoprtt card where my parents freak at me. ahhh.

On to today's devo.!
SO this Jacob fellow is a a tricky one. First takes away the birthright and then Esau's blessing. Hmm, i don't get it though, if Isaac's blessings were just words that the Lord would fulfill, wouldn't it make sense Jacob would not be blessed anyway? And how can a blessing ever run out, like Denise said, why couldn't Isaac bless Esau too?
Hmm back to my other question, Isaac said his blessing so that Esau would get it, so wouldn't it mean that Esau should be getting it anyway? How can you deceive someone to get someone else's blessing if it's just words, and it wasn't meant for you in the first place. Get what i mean?
That's like me blindfolded and saying "Ilove you" to one person, but another person is standing infront of me. That doesn't mean i Love the person standing infront of me, because it wasn't directed toward him. Make sense?
Just a question to think about, unless blessing were more than just words back then.
OR God meant for Jacob to receieve it.
hmm hmm
JacobPk
JacobPk
Disposable

Number of posts : 458
Birthday : I like men

Back to top Go down

Post  Isaac Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:21 pm

Hello people. I have so much memorizing to do, its gross....

In the Hebrew translation, its "I" and "Esau is your first born". So its actually separated. Isnt Jacob sneaky?
Ive been doing some reading about this "tricky" situation we read about. From what im getting, its more of a spiritual blessing. Esau did get blessed, just not as much as Jacob. Also, some food for thought, in 2005 Jacob was the most common name given to babies in the united states....

Jacob actually only lied directly to Isaac once, when he said "God gave me great success..." But he deceived his own father many times.
So what did we learn from this? if your moma says its ok, its ok... No thats a lie but seriously Rebekah has some mad post-pardon depression....

This brings up a great topic which is lies/deceit. Were all pretty close right? so we should be honest with each other not like Jacob and Esau.

anywho, lots of reading to do! (but i first much watch the world series Razz)

E-Sek OUT!
Isaac
Isaac
Admin

Number of posts : 916
Birthday : will you eat my baguette?

Back to top Go down

Post  hannahlee Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:23 am

GENESIS 27

Didn't draw much from today's passage. I just thought it was a little peculiar to see Rebekah's favouritism for Jacob. It's pretty intense. And I'm driven to wonder if the abundant blessings upon Jacob and few blessings upon Esau stood as they were, despite the fact that Jacob achieved his through deceit...I get the impression that the blessings were still 'valid'...but did God not do anything more to compensate for Esau afterwards? Hmm...Anyways, this chapter made me more frustrated than anything.

Sorry about the conciseness! Stressful day!

Have sweet Tuesdays, everybody!

- H
hannahlee
hannahlee
minion

Number of posts : 219
Birthday : how tall? CN tower tall...

Back to top Go down

Post  Roh Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:39 am

Didn't get too much out of today either, to be honest. This is bad though! I'll pray more and I'm really looking forward to this weekend too! A great time away from everything and time to spend more time with you guys and learn about God.

Please keep praying for this praise team and even for this retreat! Don't just treat it as another time we get to spend time together but a weekend where you'll get to listen to God and get to know him better.

And good job to all of you yesterday! I got some really good feedbacks and you guys are really getting to play as one!

Roh
Roh
Roh
Admin

Number of posts : 147

https://milal.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy Tue Oct 28, 2008 1:43 am

Hey guyss
Hahha i remmeber sam telling us this story and I just couldn't get the hair part out of my mind
Like most of you guys said, I don't really get how this can apply to my life.
And I'm a little confused, just cuase like. they make someone's blessing really seem like something that you can't give to more then one person. Like if I say God bless you to Denise, am I not allowed to say it to Hannah? Razz
Hahah well anyways Esau the hair man totally got shafted by Jacob, for the second time, but instead of having Jacob get punished, Jacob got the wonderful blessings and tales of his fortunes and such, whereas Esau gets condemed to be shunned from the riches and joys of the world. Funny how that works. haha but anyways Esau is really really jealous and he's plannnig to kill his own brother. Man that's a lot of anger if you wanna kill your own brother.
In english we're reading streetcar named desire, and its kinda funny becuase my teacher finds a way to relate EVERYTHING to adam and eve and original sin. And I guess now it just sorta makes more sense to me and it has more meaning to me. The fall of Adam and Eve kinda triggers and foreshadows everything else that happens for the rest of human existence; like Esau's fall as he plots his own brother's death.
oh man
(or Blanche's fall with her promiscuous behaviour as she sleeps around at hotels and is a total cougar for younger men. )
STELLLLLAAAAAAAAAA!
sorry that was english ranting.

but have a great tuesday lovely people

ps. STEELLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Cathy
Cathy
Disposable

Number of posts : 401

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Ha Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:23 pm

Hey guys~ gonna catch up on all the devos tonight

I learned from this Chapter that this is a very possible real life situation if you're a rich man writing the Last Will. Also.. if I had twin sons, then I would never pitch them to fight against each other. That is just uncalled for, you don't have to have all your eggs in one basket you know? but I know for a fact that things were different back then, so I guess I can't blame isaac for wanting to bless the one he personally liked. I'm just wondering what set Jacob apart from Esau that Rebekah liked one, while Isaac liked the other... They were twins and the only differences we know are that Esau was hairy and Jacob wasn't, and Esau was born first. Anyway, I don't believe in favouritism...
Alright, onto the next one!
Michael Ha
Michael Ha
minion

Number of posts : 214
Birthday : in you

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down