Always Worship
Very Happy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Always Worship
Very Happy
Always Worship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Genesis 11

3 posters

Go down

Genesis 11 Empty Genesis 11

Post  dennis Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:15 pm

helloooo
i feel like a hermit. i sat in starbucks today from 2 till 7:30 studying like some intense asian kid..
at one point, a girl sitting next to me was like, "how long have you been here?"..
anyhoo,
had 2 muesli yogurts
1 caramel latte
2 green tea lemonades
what a big fattttttyyy

PEOPLE. we're singing every move i make tomorrow with the whole church (including the halmunis, halabujis, ummas, appas, little kids, etc etc.)

Genesis 11

From verse 18, there's a list of names... again. But, the first part of the chapter was pretty interesting. I remember learning about this chapter in Grade 5-ish, and finding the answer to how we came to have different languages.

In verse 4, it says, "...let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves...". Clearly, God created different languages because of the corruption in Babel. It sounds really harsh, but I think that God initially made the whole world with one language so that we can be unified as one and do God's will as one. But, clearly, the people of Babel took advantage of the fact that everyone understood each other, and wanted to accomplish different things together, for themselves; they were being selfish.

So, they basically used the blessing from God for their selfish wants. As much as I think that those people were stupid and ignorant, I must admit that I've been in their shoes. Often, when God gives us something great in our lives, we use it for personal gain. For example, some people might have really good social skills, and they could use them to approach people and introduce them to God. However, they might choose to use their social skills to make lots of "cool" friends.. (don't know if that's the greatest example, but hopefully you get my point).

Anyway, in the time of thanksgiving, I hope that we can count all of the blessings and gifts from God, and figure out ways to use them in order to bring glory to God.

see you all tomorroww
Wink
dennis
dennis
minion

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

Genesis 11 Empty Genesis 11

Post  JacobPk Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:46 pm

I went to the library today with Sean, Joseph, Denise came but ditched. so forget her and we met crystal too.
It was fun, i actually got some homework done so it's all good. Except for some math queestions ahaha. ahem** hint.
kidding kidding Denisee. So how was your week guys?

Ok The Tower of Babel, i wonder if this is where we got all our languages and mulitculturism( correct spelling?).
Ok So this passage basically reminds me of my whole life in general. Sometimes i get so caught up with "It's all about Me" God does things to discipline me and say" No, it's not". Just like how these men wanted to make a tower that would reach heaven, God altered human tongue and as a result, the men were unable to proceed with the building. So question for the day... When in your life has God come in and purposely did something so that you would become mroe like Christ? To learn, to become more patient, and not to be spoiled with the things of this sinful world, God has his ways to discipline us. Anyway, God says in verse 7, Let us go down,,, who is he referring to again? Father son and hilyspirit probably? I didn't get so much, but the one thing i did get is something i should reflect upon. It's pretty big, like it's literal, but you can relate it to your life. get it , don't get it?

aha see you guys tomorrow!
JacobPk
JacobPk
Disposable

Number of posts : 458
Birthday : I like men

Back to top Go down

Genesis 11 Empty Re: Genesis 11

Post  hannahlee Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:54 pm

DANCING QUEEN, YOUNG AND SWEET, ONLY SEVENTEENNNN.
Finally bought the Mamma Mia! soundtrack so my mum and I can hardcore jam in the car on my rides to and from school. SO stoked.

Genesis 11

I've always really liked the story of the tower of Babel. I always found it so fascinating because I find the idea of languages pretty interesting. The world currently has about 6,700 existing different languages, and this is where it all began. Prior to this, everyone spoke the same tongue. That's really hard to fathom.

v.6 The LORD said, "If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them."

Verse 6 made me a little bit sad because it implies the greatness that could have been achieved when all could understand one another. Instead, we let our sinful natures get ahead of us and the division of tongues was 'necessary' in God's eyes...Not gonna lie, I'm pretty curious as to what could have been...
I liked what Dennis wrote about how people took advantage of the gift of a unified tongue. Along the same lines as she wrote of, it made me question how often I take what God has blessed me with, and in failing to recognize what great potential He's granted me, I choose to build my own Babel instead. Where in my life have I been shunning God and building impossible towers? In light of thanksgiving, I wanna challenge us to think of these areas in our life and recommit them to God. Also, I think it's always good to keep yourself in check, because it isn't uncommon for God to sometimes bring tribulations your way for the sake of humbling and helping you along your way of recognizing where He's working in your life.

Anyways. Thanksgiving weekend. That's what this weekend's called, not "Turkey weekend", as much as I like using the funner pseudo-name. (I bet half of us aren't even having turkey this weekend, haha. My mum thinks it smells Sad) Amidst my reflecting, just wanted to let you guys know that I'm so thankful to have each and every one of you in my life. Especially in the past little while, getting to know all of you even more and making it the highlight of my every week to see and worship with you guys every Friday, has meant a DDONG-load of a lot to me. So thanks, guys, I'm pretty blessed Smile

Hope you all have a great TURKEY Thanksgiving Weekend! Smile

- H
BTW, I'm heading to Michigan tomorrow after church to visit family and I'll be back on Monday night, so I'll hopefully get my devos up tomorrow, but if not, they'll be up when I'm back!
hannahlee
hannahlee
minion

Number of posts : 219
Birthday : how tall? CN tower tall...

Back to top Go down

Genesis 11 Empty Re: Genesis 11

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down