Always Worship
Very Happy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Always Worship
Very Happy
Always Worship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2 Peter 2

+5
jennifer
Audrey Jong
James
Christine Kim
jaake kwon
9 posters

Go down

2 Peter 2 Empty 2 Peter 2

Post  jaake kwon Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:09 pm

So ill just point out the phrases that ill focus on.
(1) But there were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you... (2) Many will follow their depraved conduct and will bring the way of truth into disrepute.
soo i found this phrase very familiar as i CONSTANTLY tripped over it while i was struggling to find God in my life.
ever since i was born, i was nurtured by the warmth of the church, so i wouldnt know how people without God would live.
as i was raised, i was always taught that our God was the real God and of course, me being 7-ish, I didnt question it.
around one year later, my friend invited me to her birthday party, and she was a buddhist. So it felt really awkward having a mini golden buddha by the door.
around then, i started wondering why wouldnt other Gods be real? (prettyy common obstacle i think.)
so then i started actually getting into the history of Christ, and found alot of stuff.(at the time, i believed in him but not fully.)

when I joined praise team, i remember one of the questions very strongly(cuz it tripped me up most.(meaning all of them did ^^;Wink)
"Do you accept Jesus Christ as your savior? How/Why/When(iddunnoo which one of those it was though.)"
So I answered it but I didn't fully understand it at the time even though i thought it did.
When I found the answer, at our recent retreat, at prosecution, I started yelling out answers and "kept on being stubborn" some would say.

Simply put; when we read this verse, it seems very harsh, but it stays true to the "opposite"(cant think of the right word) definition which would be:
Matthew 17:20(ithink.)"....if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move..."

wow. that was nostalgic. [:

Last edited by jaake kwon on Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrote 2nd Peter 3. >.<)
jaake kwon
jaake kwon
Disposable

Number of posts : 338
Birthday : 7.21
Registration date : 2011-10-10

Back to top Go down

2 Peter 2 Empty Re: 2 Peter 2

Post  Christine Kim Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:42 pm

there were a lot to read in this chapter but the verses that really stood out to me was similar to jakes about flase prophets and people following their shameful ways as verse 1-3 says. i can really connect to this specific topid because i live in a jewish community and there are many people who will make fun of Christianity, and make a joke about the word Christian itself. among my friends i have buddhist, hindu, muslim and of course jewish friends. it feels really strange thinking about different cultures and their "Gods". i remember when i first came into my neighbourhood i wasnt really open to other cultures since i came from an asian christian neighbourhood. when i thought about the differences, i questioned God and the Bible. i was unsure until i really had my hardest times in grade 5 when i was really tired and stressed from school, my mom told me to talk to God and let out all the stress to Him and ask Him for help. so it really helped me get closer to God and made me really close with him...thats really why im here in praise team. to get closer with God through a different way to really confirm my faith and not question God anymore.
Christine Kim
Christine Kim
minion

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  James Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:12 pm

First and foremost, I really don't know why verse 9 says "IF this is so, then the Lord knows how to rescue godly men from trials and to hold the unrighteous for the day of judgement, while continuing their punishment." Why can't Peter say that it is true? I'm just very confused. :S

I didn't really understand this chapter. Could you guys pray for me? I'm really falling behind on my studies and I tend to get distracted really easily....

and great job today, billy!! you were great Smile
James
James
Disposable

Number of posts : 411
Birthday : No one cares about my birthday. I like kids.
Registration date : 2011-09-25

Back to top Go down

2 Peter 2 Empty 2 Peter 2

Post  Audrey Jong Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:20 pm

Ok, so what I got from this is that we need to avoid false teachings and that when the day of judgement comes, God will pick out only the ones who have done good and have followed the word of God.
There were also two verses that made me think and find out something new:
"For God did not spare even the angels who sinned. He threw them into hell." This, i never knew so that suprised me.
I also felt the same for this verse:
"When people escape from the wickedness of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and then get tangled up and enslaved by sin again, they are worse off than before."

One of my favorites from this chapter is verse 17 because it gets you thinking: "These people are as useless as dried-up springs or as mist blown away by the wind." I liked it since it makes it clear that the ones who sin, are useless in God's eyes.

Although it's hard for us humans to understand some things that God has planned for us, this chapter clairifies what it really means to be a true Christian.

Alrighty! Good night!
~Audrey~
Audrey Jong
Audrey Jong
Disposable

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  jennifer Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:34 pm

1 But there were also false prophets in Israel, just as there will be false teachers among you. They will cleverly teach destructive heresies and even deny the Master who bought them.
on the verryy first verse they point out that tthere are many false teachers among us, who maybe purposely, or maybe by accident will lead us to false conclusion about the gospel and ultimately lead us away from God! these false teachers can be anyone from actual teachers, pastors, parents, friends, and relatives! they all teach us things. howver, this verse leads us to the root of how this problem can be fixed. this points to and emphasizes to us the importance of our own personal relationship with God and the importance of reading scripture and asking God to lead us in the correct path and let us interpret it in the way he wants us to interpret it. By doing this, we will avoid being led astray by false teachers because we will know what they are preaching and telling us is wrong, and we can point that out to them instead!
On that topic, i find that now in my issues in life and what not, i really see the differencce in between when i ask for Gods guidance and ask God for signs, than when i dont rely on God to deal with my issues. When i rely on God, my issues no longer spiral out of control and seem smaller! i sstart to see signs of what God really wants me to do, even if i really dont want to do it! i find myself more grounded and feel closer to God and feel like im on the right track Very Happy yay! aha and its so simple <3
9 So you see, the Lord knows how to rescue godly people from their trials,
this verse backs up what i was just saying aha that God knows how to rescue us from the most deepest and terriblest situations and will pull us out of the hole that we have dug ourselves if only we ask!
yepp thats what i got today!! byebyee Smile
jennifer
jennifer
Disposable

Number of posts : 304
Birthday : My birthday isnt important :(
Registration date : 2011-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post  josephpaik Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:58 pm

Everywhere in the world, there is false teachings that are brought upon others. In our church, we obviously dont have any false teachings towards us because all the things that are taught to us are from Gods wisdom. We should always be careful about what we absorb and believe because it can harm us in negative ways. Teachings arent only in the church, we are taught in everything we do. For instance, when someone does something stupid, society is taught to laugh and make fun of them, when really we should be supporting their fault and helping them. We are being taught in satans way and we should really think about what the other person would think if we bring upon our negative wisdom towards them.
It says in the Chapter that people of false teaching go through suffering and are held for judgement which is true!

We should all watch what we absorb into our lives, and what we teach others. All of us now are the leaders of our congregation and kids in our ministry look up to us because there arent many older grade 12 people to take wisdom from. We should teach appropriately because we are being watching and if we bare false teachings, we will suffer! :O

Just "think before you act" is the perfect quote for this chapter.!

Good Night!
josephpaik
josephpaik
Disposable

Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2011-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Esther Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:51 am

1-2But there were also lying prophets among the people then, just as there will be lying religious teachers among you. They'll smuggle in destructive divisions, pitting you against each other—biting the hand of the One who gave them a chance to have their lives back! They've put themselves on a fast downhill slide to destruction, but not before they recruit a crowd of mixed-up followers who can't tell right from wrong.

Erks... that kinda freaked me out a bit... :S
Guys, don't falter in your faith! Or at least, try not to!
There's always going to be people testing your faith and mocking you but really, there's nothing to worry about because in the end, the only one that matters... the only one you need to impress is God!

So, do God's will and stay faithful and committed!

That is all! Farewell!
Esther
Esther
Disposable

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2011-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:07 am

20 And when people escape from the wickedness of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and then get tangled up and enslaved by sin again, they are worse off than before

Damn this verse is scary haha. When we are rescued and saved of sin, and fall back to it, we're worse than we were before we were saved. I don't know about you guys but really, that scares the crap out of me. That knowing we're saved, yet we continue to live evil lives, that we'd be judged even more strictly. A little bit of fear is good I think in our lives. That we should fear God but also acknowledge him. Even though habits are hard to break, God hates it when we sin, but what he hates more is going back to that same sin. That he had forgiven us, and we had completely shafted him in doing the same sin. I'm sure we could all make an effort to attempt to break our habits. Step by step, we'll be better people in Christ.

Goodnightt
Kevin
Kevin
Perfection

Number of posts : 903
Birthday : i'm an orphan
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa Ta Rick Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:15 pm

In Peter 2 it said that there are many false teachers among us who will try and lead us towards the wrong path. These false teachers will cause destruction among us and they will cause us to suffer. But Verse 13 is saying that they will be paid back with harm for the harm they have done. Their idea of pleasure is no carouse in broad daylight. They blots and blemishes, reveling in their pleasures while they feast with you. This verse stood out to me because it is saying that God will punish the false teachers for the harm they have caused.
Pa Ta Rick
Pa Ta Rick
Admin

Number of posts : 409
Birthday : Snitching Since 1945. I'm a monk.
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down