Always Worship
Very Happy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Always Worship
Very Happy
Always Worship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Genesis 11!

5 posters

Go down

Genesis 11! Empty Genesis 11!

Post  Roh Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:38 am

Hey guys, I apologize for putting this up late.

Genesis 10 and 11 were focused on two things. The only part that I learned from was the section of "The Tower of Babel". They other parts were just various genealogies. You may think that these parts are boring and may skip through, but try to read some of these names and it's pretty interesting to see how some of these important figures in the Bible (e.g. Abram --> later Abraham) showed up.

Anyhow.

After the whole world was swept away by the flood, people STILL didn't turn to God. Now, they wanted to build a tower so high with their so-called technology of sturdy bricks and reach God. Maybe, just MAYBE, they were advanced (not like us, but in a different way) and their generation felt like they could do things on their own and not need God. Our world today, as it seems, is becoming more and more agnostic and also atheistic. This comes from individualism and self-actualization that is based on people's selfish needs for pleasing themselves.

I think this is a good lesson for all of us. Sometimes, it's easy to think that we can control our own lives and do whatever we want to obtain what we need and want. It seems pretty straight forward, right? Get good grades, go to university, get a job. Maybe get married somewhere down the line with an amazing person that you meet. Have kids, buy a house, etc. etc. But what happens...when you die? It's interesting if you see it from that perspective. Individualism can be good, but in the end, God wins.

Think on that.

Roh
Roh
Roh
Admin

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-09-09

https://milal.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Genesis 11! Empty Re: Genesis 11!

Post  Isaac Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:02 am

whats up guys? I hope you had a good saturday!

Gen 11:
This one hit me hard because at times i feel like things are ok, and the problem i accomplished had nothing to do with God but EVERYTHING has something to do with God. Like Roh said its easy for us feel like we dont need God especially in a world with technology that supports individualism. But if God sees us making our own tower of Babel he will confuse the crap out of us with a stern back hand to the face.... keep that in mind....

See all your faces tomorrow!!!! I dont like joint services. To be honest if this was last year i wouldnt have gone to service but to like another church.

E-Sak OUT!
Isaac
Isaac
Admin

Number of posts : 916
Birthday : will you eat my baguette?

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:12 pm

SOrry guys for the last devo
I just totally forgot last night
But um. I guess that happened to everyone else except for Roh and Isaac
So Genesis 11:
So people got relaly cocky and they wanted to build the Tower of Babel.
V4: "Let's build a city with a tower that reaches to the skies - a monument to our greatness! This will bring us together and keep us from scattering all over the world".
The part where they say 'a monument to OUR greatness' really stood out to me. These people wanted to build a tower to show how great they were, and it was a great human achievement. But this was worrisome to God, because they were doing this for their own glory, and were already beginning to come together and ignore God in order to do great things for themselves. So God separated them..
ON a personal level, I think we all build 'Towers of Babel'. We buy things, do things, achieve things that make us feel really good about ourselves. And these aren't necesseary bad things, its just that when we do these things to call attention to ourselves and how awesome we think we are, we're making it take the place of God. Instead of focusing all of our time on doing things that makes ourselves look good, we need to be humble and do things as a monument to how great GOD is.
Cathy
Cathy
Disposable

Number of posts : 401

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Ha Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:24 pm

lol, i think the one who should be most thankful of God here is Russel Peters..
if God hadn't done this in this chapter.. russel peters wudn't have any stand up material haha

anyways...
why do people want to build higher at this point of the time? geez... it's not like you're living in japan where there's no room so u have to build 100 + floor apartment buildings so u can all squeeze in an island...
but like izak said... they wanted to show off their greatness, and ya
don't want to paraphrase izak so im going onto my next devo
Michael Ha
Michael Ha
minion

Number of posts : 214
Birthday : in you

Back to top Go down

Genesis 11! Empty Genesis 11 Devo

Post  Allan Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:26 am

Since when did this whole concept of I am better, come from??? And is it a bad thing? Is it wrong to want more than others. Well yah in some expect. Greed is a fine margin in a concept like this, but aren't we made that way we want to be better.

Is the reason for God's doing becasue of the tower and it's purpse, or because is it the fact that the people making it wanted to be better than everyone else (make a name for ourselves)

And the generation list continues

Allan's top 5 picks

1.Nahor
2.Terah
3. Reu
Allan
Allan
Disposable

Number of posts : 314
Birthday : Viet for life
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down