Always Worship
Very Happy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Always Worship
Very Happy
Always Worship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1 Corinthians 8 March 3rd

+2
julian
Kevin
6 posters

Go down

1 Corinthians 8 March 3rd Empty 1 Corinthians 8 March 3rd

Post  Kevin Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:58 pm

Be consistent with your devos EVERYONE.
Kevin
Kevin
Perfection

Number of posts : 903
Birthday : i'm an orphan
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

1 Corinthians 8 March 3rd Empty Re: 1 Corinthians 8 March 3rd

Post  julian Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:25 pm

Hey guys... I'm still pretty sick... I hope I recover soon... I hope I can make it tomorrow... if I'm lucky and I'm well.. if not... then I don't know.
It's actually starting to get worse and worse... Sad

Anyway, on to the devotion.

The way I see it, the title 'food offered to idols' basically tells me about sacrifice. Yes, many people do offer food to idols because of practice.... and because it's necessary to sacrifice something. This relates greatly to when Jesus had not died on the cross... every sin that would be committed would have the cost -the sacrifice of an animal. And I thought for some time that this might have been had tradition... if Jesus didn't come to rescue us and to give us hope, we'd be sinning creatures just killing animals until there'd be no more...

But my main question from this passage is this - do we sacrifice for God? What do we give up for God... and most importantly, do we do it out of love (which we'll get to in Ch 13)... if we do something for the sake of something, it isn't maintaining a relationship. It's essentially just living in a bureaucracy filled with paperwork and paperwork of doing things to get DONE... but really, everything we sacrifice for God should be done with passion and with thought. It's why we do devotions together.

Verses 2 and 3 left me with an interesting message;

If anyone thinks he knows anything, he does not yet know it as he ought to know it. But if anyone loves God, he is known by him.

This is going to be my prayer for today...

The last thing I wanted to share was verse 13; Therefore, if food causes my brother to fall, I will never again eat meat, so that I won't cause my brother to fall.' Obviously I'm not saying this out of being a vegetarian or anything... but I notice that we should sacrifice for each other - to be in a good community with each other, loving our brothers and sisters. If something causes someone to struggle or if something hinders in his or her way, then why not help them?

Jules.
julian
julian
minion

Number of posts : 212
Birthday : April 12.
Registration date : 2011-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post  josephpaik Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:25 am

5-6
For even if there are so called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many "gods" and many "lords"), yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ , Through whom all things came through whom we live.

In the world, there are many God and Lords..... Not only specifically speaking of spiritual gods but physical gods too. In society, there are many gods when you look around to see.
Ex Computer
Games
School
Girls/Boys
Phones

But these are not supposed to be gods... its supposed to be just another thing in life. The only god you should have is the GOD Lord Almighty. The beginning and the end. This is because he provided us with his Son, so that through all things, we can live and through all things we WILL live in his Name. We should live our every step for God and only "God" not any other "gods".
josephpaik
josephpaik
Disposable

Number of posts : 347

Back to top Go down

Post  jennifer Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:48 am

hope you get better julian!
sorry guys! yesterday i came home really late and was super tired so i went straight to bed. devos totally slipped my mind! :S i know its not an excuse! im sorryy Embarassed
2 Anyone who claims to know all the answers doesn’t really know very much. 3 But the person who loves God is the one whom God recognizes.[a]
This verse is like what i learned in one of the devos before. It says that people who just have knowledge about God, the bible, the church, dont really, and truely know God. Yet the one who loves Him is the one whom God recognizes, because with the love of God, everything else comes inevitably after. Like, if you love God, you will want to read the bible to learn more about Him, youll want to spread the word, and youll want to love others like He does. It inspires me to keep my relatiionship growing with God, and talk to Him constantly, even if it's in the middle of the day. praying doesnt have to be a hands clasped, eyes closed kinda thing right? you can do it anywhere and however you like. Soooo yeah! i like this verse. its well put. haha
13 So if what I eat causes another believer to sin, I will never eat meat again as long as I live—for I don’t want to cause another believer to stumble.
dont let what you do affect other people's walks with Jesus. This is selfish and you can survive not doing this. if you compare that to ruining their relationship with God, not doing one thing to aviod that is simple.
jennifer
jennifer
Disposable

Number of posts : 304
Birthday : My birthday isnt important :(
Registration date : 2011-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Grace Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:22 am

Hey guys, I actually had a really goo day today, but it seems like a caught a cold XD

I loved today's chapter! I'm posting off my iPod so I won't post the verse, but basically near the end of the chapter I got somethig really important , something we all know but struggle to practice!!!
It means nothing if we know everything about the bible but not reflect on it and follow it trough! It's all just knowledge that doesn't turn into wisdom. It says that our actions reflect us and GOD big time! What kind of Christians are we if we tell others to turn away from their gods and preach at them that they are wrong and sinful when we can't even turn down ours... We need to truly show these people who don't know God, how we are different from others, who much better it is to know God! Because the reality is that there are many out tere who are so attached to false idols, but we can't let ourselves be obstacles for these people, we need to guide them onto God's path, not push them away. We all need to be conscience of our actions.

Love you guys, nightttt Smile
Grace
Grace
Disposable

Number of posts : 416
Birthday : GB braces

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:15 am

4 So, what about eating meat that has been offered to idols? Well, we all know that an idol is not really a god and that there is only one God. 5 There may be so-called gods both in heaven and on earth, and some people actually worship many gods and many lords. 6 But we know that there is only one God, the Father, who created everything, and we live for him. And there is only one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom God made everything and through whom we have been given life.

So I was thinking about this chapter and it had a lot to do with idolism. If you guys actually know exactly what an idol is, it's anything that replaces God. In our world, there are SO many idols that can be offered up to us. We all should set our sights on God and on no other distractions because as team, how can we worship God fully if our attention is elsewhere? How can we lead others into worship when we ourselves aren't worshipping because of other distractions? God gave us this life, let's use it wisely! Very Happy
Kevin
Kevin
Perfection

Number of posts : 903
Birthday : i'm an orphan

Back to top Go down

Post  Esther Fri Mar 04, 2011 2:45 am

Sorry, guuys. I've been reading this verse over at least a dozen times and there isn't much that 'speaks to me'.
I think it may have to do with how much food I had just a little while ago. Hahaa
Aright, hopefully, I'll get Saturday's!
Esther
Esther
Disposable

Number of posts : 368

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down