Always Worship
Very Happy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Always Worship
Very Happy
Always Worship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

genesis one

+4
Roh
JacobPk
Isaac
hannahlee
8 posters

Go down

genesis one Empty genesis one

Post  hannahlee Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:48 pm

Hope everyone's days are going sweet, not that any of you are gonna read this for quite a while, I think. Haha. Is it just me or does this week feel extra long? I don't know, I can't believe it's only Wednesday. Can't wait til' Friday, whoowhoo.

Genesis 1

I haven't much to say about specific verses from today's chapter but it doesn't mean I appreciated it any less than usual. I was reading through it and it was just so beautiful. It really reminded me of how great our God is, simply put, as 'obvious' as that might sound, you know? The thought and love that went into His creation of this world on our behalf is beyond all fathom. It's incredible. You get to recognizing His power and majesty when you read about how creation sprung from His single breath..and then take a look around you, and can't deny just how perfectly and intricately everything falls into place..blah, it's just mind-boggling to me. Anyways, the bell just rang, yikes. Have to run to class. I had some other words to say, but I guess those can wait until a little later.

Have a great rest of the day, ladies and germs! =)

- H
hannahlee
hannahlee
minion

Number of posts : 219
Birthday : how tall? CN tower tall...
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

genesis one Empty Re: genesis one

Post  Isaac Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:55 pm

yoooo guys/gals what's up?? Skipped English to sleep:o soo good.

Reading this made me feel like I was at the science centre at an IMAX movie!!! So epic how God made the world. Makes you feel so small but at the same time big you know?? Big because a huge powerful God made such a beautiful world for us to take. I also like how it explains some stuff like the sun, moon and stars. Other people don't know or won't believe that this is how the world was made but for us believers it's like a little tumbit of the creation with some specific parts like God from the start made the solar system to help make "day" and time. Also my bible mentions something cool. God made the earth and heaven instantly but everything else slowly through a process. Much like how the Israelites were freed instantly over night but had to roam for 40 years. Also how we accept Christ instantly but our journey and growth is an ongoing process.
Just some food for thought.
MLB playoffs baby!!!!!!
Have a good Thursday buds.
Isaac out!!!!
Isaac
Isaac
Admin

Number of posts : 916
Birthday : will you eat my baguette?

Back to top Go down

genesis one Empty Genesis

Post  JacobPk Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:48 pm

Hey Hey hello Smile
Hope you guys are having an awesome week. My week is a-ok!
umm news for today, we had our first dance club meeting today, we expected a dozen people max to show up. However 50 people showed up.
oh dear what to do with them all.
Cathy tomorrow!! Lets get our g1s with Allan aha

The beginning. The one question that always comes out to me when i read this chapter. People ahev answered it, but i'm still disatisfied with all the answers, because i don't agree with them. So in verse 3 when God said" Lets there be light" What kind of light was that? He said light was made to be separated fomr the darkness. Was the concept of light? Because The sun and moon weren't made until the 4th day, so technically... how were light and day differentiated? If the greater light(sun) were to govern the day, and lesser light(moon) govern the night. What governed the days before to tell if it was day or night? If the answer is" because He's God". I'll be pretty sad aha.
I love this passage. Creation, so perfect yet us imperfections cease to notice that.
Anyway at the end of this chapter, God saw that what he made was VERY GOOD. keyword. If we look at our world now, can we still say it's very good? I wonder what the world would've been like when God FIRST created it, before the spiral of sin came into play.
I hope you guys have a good thursday
Cheers! drunken
JacobPk
JacobPk
Disposable

Number of posts : 458
Birthday : I like men

Back to top Go down

Post  Isaac Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:04 pm

JacobPk wrote: What kind of light was that? He said light was made to be separated fomr the darkness. Was the concept of light? Because The sun and moon weren't made until the 4th day, so technically... how were light and day differentiated? If the greater light(sun) were to govern the day, and lesser light(moon) govern the night. What governed the days before to tell if it was day or night? If the answer is" because He's God". I'll be pretty sad aha.

Hey Yacob. When God creates "light" i dont know if its literally light as we might see it, just how his "days" are not necessarily on the 24hour clock. God can create light without a secondary source. If you read Revelations 21:23 it says that in the new heaven and earth, there will be no need for sun or moon. I dont exactly understand it truly. It might mean that the giver of light in our old world is no longer needed in heaven because God is there. It could also mean other things but it does tell us that there will be another source of "light" because im sure we would need to see somehow. Then again its heaven... who knows?
I hope this helped a little.
E-sak!
Isaac
Isaac
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Roh Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:39 pm

Yeah, in terms of the logistics of how creation occurred can be very controversial and sometimes just very mind-boggling. So I'll comment on both what Jacob wrote and Isaac's reply.

So in terms of what it means by "days", there are two basic theories. It can either be "ages" (the more scientific view) or literal 24 hour periods. So what I mean by "ages" is that all the creation happened slowly and with legitimate scientific processes (e.g. evolution). And it makes sense right? That God made light, then water, then vegetation, then animals, then humans. It all seems to make sense. And the other view is that these were all miracles (well, they're miracles anyway, but more "apparent" miracles) and all happened in 7 days. One could say that since the author was human and he meant 24-hours when he wrote "day", you'd have to go back to the original transcripts and see what this word "day" actually meant. It could've meant much more than the word "day" in English. Just remember that our version of the Bible is retrieved from many many versions of the Bible in different languages so distortion could have occurred in between somewhere. There's a very good chance.

In terms of the whole light/sun debate, this may be a victim of the whole translation error business. But who knows.

If you ever wanna talk about the science of this, call me any time. I'm very much interested in it and I'd love to. Smile

As a believer in Christ, I also believe in evolution. That may make you raise eyebrows but that's all because Darwin makes sense. But to me, God also makes sense. I agree with the fact (or theory, rather) that we are all constantly adapting to our environments and evolving. But I disagree with Darwin in the domain where he describes how we evolved from single-celled organisms. The law of thermodynamics says that you can't go from something that is less complicated into something that is more intricate. You can only go the other way. You can go from log to ashes with fire, but you can't go from ashes to logs right?

Anyhow, any more questions, keep discussing!

Roh
Roh
Roh
Admin

Number of posts : 147

https://milal.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Isaac Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:13 pm

I also believe in evoluton the way roh does. But I am still curious about Jacobs light question. Although I tried to answer it I would want a more thourough answer.
Isaac
Isaac
Admin

Back to top Go down

genesis one Empty In the beginning!!

Post  Allan Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:33 am

Shudder* Issac what is that avatar Shocked

In the beginning...Man I can make a really dry Pun right now, but Nahhh! I'll save it up for a occurred moment

I probably going to asume that the greater light to govern the day is the sun and the lesser light the moon. I am just again pondering and the planets, what was the purpose?

Verse 26 he is referring let "us", make man in our image, and I drew a blank. In the other verses he never said let "us". Only in verse 26 he says let "us" make man in "our" image. The grammar is written in pural. Is he referring to Jesus, well it seems likely. Or we could get into the trinity; God, Jesus, and the holy sprirt. I don't know I was just pondering that.

Lol I remember back like 8 years ago we had to memorize Genesis, to get like a small jewel which fits into a badge. For every verse we memorized we get another jewel/bead peice.

nice comparison by Issac, a Imax.

It's amazing (cliche), but it is just the whole process, and it is so beyond our reach.

Genesis raises alot of eyebrows and I really like that quality.

Hmmm g1 this week sry Jacob next week I am good or this sat or sun
Allan
Allan
Disposable

Number of posts : 314
Birthday : Viet for life
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  dennis Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:07 am

Story: I was taking a nap today afterschool.. Grace woke me up, and the first thing I said was, "Oh god, I just dreamnt about Roh." Grace laughed, and I told her about my dream (I've recently been able to remember my dreams really well). Basically, I was going downtown for some fancy-shmancy dinner, and Roh was by the subway station as a homeless man-disheveled and dirty. Right beside him was Josh, holding hands with another dude. It was quite the weird dream..mhm

Thought you guys might enjoy that. Wink

Genesis One..

"It was good" and "it was so" are two phrases that are repeated in this chapter a lot. In English class today, Ms. Goldspink told us that "repetition" is an important stylistic device that creates emphasis. So, I thought about what the purpose of repeating these phrases over and over again was. The fact that God's work is perfect and purposeful is what, I believe, is being emphasized here. God carefully planned and created everything on this earth, and, in the beginning, saw that "it was good."

Initially, in the Garden of Eden, every living creature faithfully served God without sin. Eventually, as we know, sin got in the way of our perfect relationship with God. We all know that sin entered the world through of Satan and the fruit eaten by Adam and Eve, but do we know why sin started? I might be totally wrong, but I think that there was sin because we took God's love and blessings for granted. In the beginning, God told Adam to "rule over every living creature that moves on the ground." However, once Adam was given power, he chose to go search for more, and ultimately disobey God's commands.

So, I definitely think that there is a choice that we have to make. Are we going to be thankful for and be content with all of the blessings we've got right now, or are we going to be unfulfilled and want more? We were created in God's image, but, as we sin more and more often, God's image is being gradually chipped away from us.

Ciao
Denise
dennis
dennis
minion

Number of posts : 204

Back to top Go down

Post  JacobPk Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:52 pm

Just to add on to Allans Devo.

When God is said' Let us make man in our image" i think it means to be relational.
God's intent was for everyone to have a relationship with him, and thats what it means to be made in hsi image. make sense?
Thought i should shoot that in there
JacobPk
JacobPk
Disposable

Number of posts : 458
Birthday : I like men

Back to top Go down

Post  Isaac Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:10 pm

also i think we get our way of thinking from God. It makes sense i guess to have the same kind of thought process as the one who created us.
Isaac
Isaac
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Ha Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:00 am

JacobPk wrote:Hey Hey hello Smile
The beginning. The one question that always comes out to me when i read this chapter. People ahev answered it, but i'm still disatisfied with all the answers, because i don't agree with them. So in verse 3 when God said" Lets there be light" What kind of light was that? He said light was made to be separated fomr the darkness. Was the concept of light? Because The sun and moon weren't made until the 4th day, so technically... how were light and day differentiated? If the greater light(sun) were to govern the day, and lesser light(moon) govern the night. What governed the days before to tell if it was day or night? If the answer is" because He's God". I'll be pretty sad aha.
Admin wrote:
As a believer in Christ, I also believe in evolution.

Aite.. let's talk about this yooo
About the "light" and "dark" thing.. I'm thinking that they're just domains created based on the fact that things can only exist if it has an opposite to co-exist with. If it was always day, or if it was always night, then there would be no such thing as day, or night; it would just be the way the world is. For example... how long did it take for us to define "gravity"...? Gravity does not have an opposite, it exists by itself in our world and it was only defined when someone became aware that there was a force that kept us on the ground. The thing about gravity is, that there are forces that may seem to exist as the opposite of gravity, such as: flight, jumping, and any mundane thing that involves getting off the ground even for a few seconds. But these things are just forces which can overcome gravity, but gravity itself does not have a direct opposite, as light and darkness do. Anyway...
So light and darkness are just domains that God created, so they can exist; now sun and moon I think are direct representations of God. My evidence is that the greater light governs the day, while the lesser light governs the night. So when we look up in the sky (be it night or day), we can see that there is something we can't exactly see, but it seems to be everywhere and always glaring down on us. We can feel the energy coming from it: warmth from the sun, and eerie feeling from the moon (?cough bull s*** cough lol?). So God made the two lights to govern over the two domains which he created so they could exist. Also I think the two lights represent God Himself, and I find comfort whenever I look up at the moon or the sun (sun hurts though.. lol)

Roh, I also believe in evolution, as it is a process of becoming better rather than an explanation about how we came to be. Evolution doesn't say how we actually began to exist, the Big Bang theory does, and it's stupid. How can a Big Bang occur if there was nothing to initiate it? It's so paradoxical that the mere idea of it is ridiculous.

Now.. onto today's actual devo >_>
Michael Ha
Michael Ha
minion

Number of posts : 214
Birthday : in you

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:27 am

Dum dum dum dum
sorry this is late
but here it is

GENESIS 1:
I love the creation story, its so beautiful. I dont know, we've been doing a lot of stuff in english relating things back to like the creation story and stuff.. And reading it again just kind of.. reminded me of the blessing that God gave us with all this life and creation all around us. In the beginning, everything was dark, formelss, and empty. But God made it into this beautiful world with night and day, with sky and land, lush vegetation, animals, birds, fish, and finally humans. God made all of these things,filled the world with life and he alwyas 'saw that is was good', which shows how he loves and cares for all of these things. He created humans and told them, "Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground." And well, God gave us an advantage to these other creatures by giving us the power to rule over them, but as we all know from good ol' spiderman, "With Great power, comes Great Responsibility." And well it just makes me think cause humans were made different from these other creatures: we have more intelligence, we have the ability to develop, to create socities, to communicate and be inquisitive. God put us at a higher level of mind, but we've really abused it. I think a lot of the time, we forget that we have this power and the responsibility to protect the beautiful world that God made. But the world is pretyt much deteriorating as we speak and we really take all of this life, all of this creation for granted.
So just a thought. I think im gonna try to be more environmentally conscious now..
Cathy
Cathy
Disposable

Number of posts : 401

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down