Always Worship
Very Happy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Always Worship
Very Happy
Always Worship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Luke chapter 12 Devotion

+4
JacobPk
hannahlee
Roh
Allan
8 posters

Go down

Luke chapter 12 Devotion Empty Luke chapter 12 Devotion

Post  Allan Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:40 pm

Dang it I promised myself that I won't miss any, but dang. I've been doing my own self devo for the past days, sry about this it was kind of selfish of me sry guys. I'll catch up as soon as possible

Well today me and my friends skipped last period to go to a new wings place near the school and we each picked the hottest wings in the menu, being stupid I picked the hottest one called "The Ring of Hell", and it's been an hour and it still burns. Man 10 bucks well spent.
What else, oh yah I hd the weirdest alk today with my friends at math class, where we were debating if Science can be used to prove the Bible. One of my friends was really against the idea of putting the Bible together with Science. I guess I understand that, some people think Scinece and religion cannot be used to support each other, but I am think WHY NOT? Who said that science can't be used to prove the bible. Well that was my boring hetic day.

Luke 12

Hypocrisy (or the state of being a hypocrite) is the act of preaching a certain belief, religion or way of life, but not, in fact, holding these same virtues oneself. For example, if a person were to tell one to repent for his sins yet he never repents himself this is hypocrisy.

I think that in this generation we are taught that God will always forgive us and he loves and what not. But i Guess we sometimes forget the anger of God. When I was young i always got this confused. Let say you done something really detestable, ig God angry or sad. I guess sometimes we don't want to hear about becasue it seems to contradict God's love, but it;s true God's anger is clear as day. We should'nt be afraid of what other people will say, but really condsider if our actions please God. It's hard I slip up the "F" word few times, but what do I do after I say it. Do i just forget about it or say sorry. It's scary how the "NLT" says it. "anyone who is not working with me is opposing me". Huh, and that is what sin really is. You are working against bringing God's rightousness to our world. Fear God and don't fear those who are basing the religion in hipocrisy

Man I think I read verse 22 like 100 times already, but it's good to read when things are not going the way you want them to be
Basic analysis "Don't worry" I will provide

Umm the thing that kind of sparked my curiosity was "Jesus Causes Division"

He said that he has not come to being peace to the Earth, but to divide it. I dont' really get it if anyone can bring some light into this that would be sick

Aghhhhh Man Everytime I burp it burns

K c yah guys soon
Allan
Allan
Disposable

Number of posts : 314
Birthday : Viet for life
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Luke chapter 12 Devotion Empty Re: Luke chapter 12 Devotion

Post  Roh Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:24 pm

I liked your discussion on hypocrisy Allan. Thanks! I think it's true, how we often are so okay with being hypocrites that we end up not even deem our actions to be hypocritical, merely for the sake of justification. We do forget the fear of God often times, but we should not forget it, as it could be quite costly. We saw many times in the Old Testament, the actions of God when he was angry. Not such a pretty picture. In verse 9, Jesus said that people who are hypocrites (i.e. followers of Jesus who deny him in public, which is essentially what hypocrisy is) will be rejected by God's angels, just like how we reject God sometimes. It's a scary thought. If the angels forsake us, who's here to protect us, to guide us into the right paths? It goes both ways. We remember God and trust him, and God will do the same for us. People often forget that it's a RElationship. In order to receive, you must give. God's not always going to be this grandfather figure and let things off the hook every single time.

What is Jesus' concept of "being rich"? It is as follows: "A person is a fool to store up earthly wealth but not have a rich relationship with God." We often get stressed or focus a lot on the present situation and immediately act on it, not remember how much it is worth in the future. The following example is something that is common among Christians. Because you're going through busy stages in life where it requires a lot of time, attention, and effort, you may decide to take a "break" from God because for the short term that you have to focus on such things, you want to do your best in it. But what you forget is that when it's all over, it's more important to have a strong relationship with God than to be a little more successful in whatever you were engaging in, because it is God that you're going to be with for the rest of your life, not your profession or hobbies. God doesn't say, "I'll see you in heaven, so do whatever you want on the earth -- all the things that have no relations to me." He says, "live for me on this earth and being on the earth will only prepare for our meeting in heaven." Remember that.

In general, Jesus spoke a lot about greed and earthly treasures vs. the future. Along those lines, He mentioned His second coming. I think what's important to take from this chapter as a whole is that when we make big decision in life and go through our earthly lives, we need to plan ahead and make these important decisions in the bigger picture.

Roh
Roh
Roh
Admin

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-09-09

https://milal.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Luke chapter 12 Devotion Empty Luke 12

Post  hannahlee Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:57 am

Luke 12

4 "Dear friends, don't be afraid of those who want to kill your body; they cannot do any more to you after that. 5 But I'll tell you whom to fear. Fear God, who has the power to kill you and then throw you into hell.[a] Yes, he's the one to fear.

These few verses don't try to hide between tricky literary facades, but rather, blatantly tell it like it is, which I really appreciated. Reading this allowed me to think that I have absolutely no justification for some of the fears that I hold in this world, those things that I let get to me. Because we serve a God who has "the power to kill you and then throw you into hell." It's a much more scary side of God, but knowing that we're on His side, it's like that good feeling you get when you watch the Lord of the Rings and know that the little hairy hobbits should have no fear, for White Gandalf is there!! Or something. I fell asleep during those movies. Hahaha.

33 "Sell your possessions and give to those in need. This will store up treasure for you in heaven! And the purses of heaven never get old or develop holes. Your treasure will be safe; no thief can steal it and no moth can destroy it. 34 Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be.

If our treasure is in heaven, that's where our heart will be. But if our treasures lie in the things of this earth, that's, instead, where our heart will be. When you think about how this verse is saying that anything that we work for that's strictly of this world is only ever temporary, it almost seems so obvious that we should be doing much more to work towards a heavenly reward, which will last an eternity. For me, I don't interpret this as saying that we shouldn't indulge in any worldly pleasures, that we should sell absolutely everything that we own, and live on strictly essentials. But I do interpret it as saying that we shouldn't find ourselves making the treasures of this world our life's first priorities; i.e. overconsumption and keeping possessions when you own a sufficient amount and there are still those in need, making it our life's purpose, etc. For me, as I think about my ambitions, etc. this verse helps to re-affirm that I really hope my life is one that strives towards a heavenly cause, as well, not just striving for success in terms of the world because that'll only ever amount to temporary rewards.

I really like how Jesus made all these comparisons to how God cares so deeply for the lowliest of animals on this earth, and it'd only make sense to believe He'd do that much more for us, His own children. It definitely drives a point home.

- H
hannahlee
hannahlee
minion

Number of posts : 219
Birthday : how tall? CN tower tall...

Back to top Go down

Post  JacobPk Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:02 am

i agree with what both of you had to say, especially with Allan's discussion of hypocrisy. Us, being CHristians have it the hardest because we ARE the biggest hypocrites on this earth. We always tell people to do this, but we have ntohing to say when people often remind us that we sin too.
Ok verse 5. It's like Jesus is making a joke here, but you're kind of forced to laugh... aha. He says "Don't worry about people who'll harm you, worry about God, he can kill you and throw you into hell. oh yeah, he's the real deal." just watnted to point that out. aha
Verse 40. question i would liek to ask everyone "if you die, are you 100% you'll go to heaven? Are you prepared?" and if you are prepared, why not share some of that one-way ticket with others?
yah, Allan, i don't get the division part either.
JacobPk
JacobPk
Disposable

Number of posts : 458
Birthday : I like men

Back to top Go down

Post  Isaac Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:24 am

study study... my cat isnt peeing on the ground anymore... which is good.
19"And I'll say to myself, "You have plenty of good things laid up for many years. Take life easy; eat, drink and be merry."
Like i said in my last devo, its easy in life to just "think" were "good" (good as in we have what we want not kind good). And its easy to think that cause we have money, or friends, or talents were "good". But this chapter revealed that "God does give", and he also "takes away". Like when i m doing well (in earthly terms) i tend to not pray as much. Its obvious why, i dont need anything. and thats very selfish of me to do so. not only is there always something to pray for (for others, for the food, for the clean water, for AIR!!!) but we shouldnt go to God only FOR STUFF but just to talk you know? like son to father.

night guys! Im glad to be able to come home to read your devos. This book is really getting people involved more. Keep it up guys!

E-Sek OUT!
Isaac
Isaac
Admin

Number of posts : 916
Birthday : will you eat my baguette?

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:06 am

hey guyss
it was SO COLD TODAY.
and when i left my house my bus passed me so I ran like the WINDDDDD and i caught it because i have a very pleasant old and slightly senile white bus driver. and i didnt feel the cold till i got on the bus and then i realized that i was breathing heavily while i was running (mind you i havent exercised at all since. i actually cant remember) so then my throat felt like it was frozen and it was just not a good feeling. haha

LUKE 12:

21"This is how it will be with anyone who stores up things for himself but is not rich toward God."
Does this remind anybody else of the korean saying "If you don't eat it it will turn into poo?"
hhaha my parents used to say that to me all the time cause i was one of those kids that liked to hoard the candy and save it up to a big mountain of treats and then eat it slowly and savour each one. haha but eventually they would turn stale or my brother would steal them from me. lol so they told me to just eat my food when i wanted to.
wow i must clarify I AM NOT FAT. and I AM NOT A LOSER. and MY LIFE DOESNT REVOLVE AROUND FOOD, I SWEAR.
lol
anyhoo i know this is a sort of weird connection. haha but if candy = money and eating = giving to God and poo = wasted money, then my parents = jesus? haha wait that last one doesnt work. wow im so unbelievably distracted today
but what im trying to say is that in the same way, theres no point in saving up all your money and giving none to God: because eventually you're going to die with lotsa money in your bank account: but where does that go? the money could have been much better spent for glorifying God and helping the needy. Smile
And not only is that because GOd wants us to use our money - God doesnt need money, yo. HE BALLINNNNN
but I think God wants to see us detach ourselves from our money: even though money is an essential in our society to survive, God doesn't want us to be our master: like that verse somewhere. in some part of the bible says, "you cannot serve both God and money". Its easy to get reliant on money and let it take over our lives because it gives us security and luxuries. But by allowing ourselves to detach from it - we replace God first in our lives, and it allows us to trust in him more.

And this leads on to my next point :
Do not worry!
I remember we did this for discipleship like. two weeks ago? Jesus talks about how God provides for the ravens and the lillies: and we are greater than the birds or the flowers so ofcourse our Father will bless us and provide for us! So Jesus challenges us to stop worrying! I find that pretty much everyone is always stressed or freaking out. or quietly freaking out. Unless you're bob marley. but he's dead.. Anyways so let's lift up our burdens to God: let's let him take care of the stupid little things we worry about each day and instead, live with peace - and acutally love life! i find it's really hard to do that when you're worrying

Alright I am off to work on my english!
Good night y'allz
Cathy
Cathy
Disposable

Number of posts : 401

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Ha Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:43 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKu2QaytmrM
reading the part about Jesus "setting the world on fire" reminded me of this song, you guys should all watch it and pay attention to the lyrics if you have the time and will to do so

I learned from this chapter and from the way Jesus taught so passionately, with a hint of just raw anger, about being a teacher and a student...
How did I make that relationship? I have no idea, but I thought about how answers led to relevant questions which led to more answers and more things began to come into light.
I learned it's very important to ask questions, because not everything you hear will be true, in fact most of it will probably be BS.
So I say we ask questions, and seek for the answers in the bible.
Michael Ha
Michael Ha
minion

Number of posts : 214
Birthday : in you

Back to top Go down

Post  dennis Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:29 pm

Sorry everyone for not posting...
I had a really bad day two days ago. Not an excuse but that's why I didn't do it.

So after reading this passage, I regret not reading it two days ago because that day was filled with worries and stress. because I worry all the time, it was good to read that God provides for all of us without needing our worries.
dennis
dennis
minion

Number of posts : 204

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down