Always Worship
Very Happy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Always Worship
Very Happy
Always Worship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1 Corinthians 5

+2
julian
Kevin
6 posters

Go down

1 Corinthians 5 Empty 1 Corinthians 5

Post  Kevin Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:51 pm

Kevin
Kevin
Perfection

Number of posts : 903
Birthday : i'm an orphan
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

1 Corinthians 5 Empty Re: 1 Corinthians 5

Post  julian Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:27 pm

Hey all...

I'm still recovering from my cough.. I have a strong immune system, so it should be gone in a few days. I hope it goes away soon! And I'll probably be staying up late to finish my Queen's! Sad Wish me luck.

This devotion made me think about a LOT.

The idea of incest alone made me disgusted. If you don't know what incest is, I'll make it blunt. It's basically when a child has sex with either of their parents. It tells me that the situation Paul was in was one that was just filled with lust... to the CORE. Eating dinner after this made me feel a little sickening on the inside... with me already feeling sick.

Verses four and five seem weird, actually..

4 So when you are assembled and I am with you in spirit, and the power of our Lord Jesus is present, 5 hand this man over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh,[a][b] so that his spirit may be saved on the day of the Lord.

It's something that I can't particularly explain... which is why if anyone has a summary of this verse, it'd be appreciated, or otherwise I'm going for MY interpretations on it. It's almost like saying that to save someone is to send someone to Satan to be destroyed (possibly rebirth). This reminded me a little bit of a discussion we had in Ohana (when Billy wasn't there.. Sad ). Moses discussed how to be born again is to die and to regrow... I was reading a lot of Job before we did devotions. The main thing I saw in the book of Job was where God had complete confidence in Job - to the point where he allowed Satan to take Job and rechange him. It's weird, hahahahah.

Verse eleven made me realize how much opportunity lies even though we are sinners:

11 But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister[c] but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people.

If you think about it, we're all leaders. But we're all sinners. I'm sure some of us have gone through hard times where we've made stupid choices and decisions in our own lives. I thought at first that Paul was being a hypocrite and that he was judging... but reading it out loud made me see a little more than just that. In fact, I felt that Paul did this out of love - out of what he saw, that there was so much corruption that made his heart desire change... it made me reflect on what Isaac talked about on Friday. If someone was to come drunk while worshipping or even coming to church, it would be atrocious (more so for worship). Yet even though we all lack in purity, God still allows us to be part of the church.

That's what came to me.

Later,

Julian.
julian
julian
minion

Number of posts : 212
Birthday : April 12.
Registration date : 2011-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:33 am

12 It isn’t my responsibility to judge outsiders, but it certainly is your responsibility to judge those inside the church who are sinning.

It says you are able to judge others in the church but often times I was told, people in the church can be hypocritical. Everyone in the church are equal sinners, so why does it say we are able to judge those in the church who sin when we too sin. So I began to think, the bible says only God has the right to judge... Would this verse cause the bible to be contradicting itself? After a while of thinking, I sort of came to the conclusion that perhaps this verse is saying Judge only people in the CHURCH if you are willing to be judged yourself. If you judge others but refuse to be judged, wouldn't that put you in the position of playing God? If you were to do that, that would definitely be a sin.

That's pretty much what I got.
Have a good week guys
The setlist will be out soon.
Kevin
Kevin
Perfection

Number of posts : 903
Birthday : i'm an orphan
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Isaac Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:46 am

hey guys, kevin asked me a question about this chapter because it seems somewhat contradictory.
This is referring to verse 12 where it says you can judge those inside your church.

Kk first lets put this into perspective:
Paul is writing this - im going to be referring to his other writings but im not going to spend time finding the specific verses cause i have an essay due in 2 hours which needs to be edited haha... so for now just take my word for it? haha

K so first the churches back then were kind of messed up. Sex in church sin blah blah blah. like if verse 11 he says "claims to be a believer yet indulges in sexual sin". What hes trying to say is that CHRISTIANS should be accountable to OTHER CHRISTIANS. Non-christians do not have the right to judge those in the church but your brothers and sisters do have the right. Its not to judge -per say, but more to keep each other accountable. To pick out the specific problems in the church TO BENEFIT the church. So yes, its judging, but in the name of God not in the name of yourself. The reason to do this is because Paul writes about the church being one body. So if the leaders are "indulging" in sexual sin then the church, in the name of God and referring to the word specifically, should judge them and try to fix it. After all, if the arm hurts so does the brain. and if other parts hurt, so should everything else.

i hope this kind of clears things up, if it doesnt then feel free to msg me or ask Pastor Moses - after all, im not a pastor and Moses knows A LOT more than i do.

-Isaac
Isaac
Isaac
Admin

Number of posts : 916
Birthday : will you eat my baguette?
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post  josephpaik Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:13 am

what business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?

I think this means that we shouldnt judge anyone in or outside of church because in Gods eyes we are all sinners.
Only God can judge because he truly knows what we do and what we dont do.
Do good, do bad, doesnt matter. We are all the same!
I know it short but thats basically all i got...
josephpaik
josephpaik
Disposable

Number of posts : 347

Back to top Go down

Post  Esther Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:38 am

Guys, I've been doing my course selection for the past 3285732957398 hourss.
Talk about stressful! );
Anyway, sorrry I'll be posting today's devo and tomorrow's , tomorrow.
Esther
Esther
Disposable

Number of posts : 368

Back to top Go down

Post  jennifer Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:10 pm

WHAT?! NOOO i posted it yesterdayyyy!!! D: i stayed up late and i posted ittt Sad and it said it posted toooo
omygoodnesss Crying or Very sad sighh
you guysre gunna have to take my word for it that i did my devo yesterday!
jennifer
jennifer
Disposable

Number of posts : 304
Birthday : My birthday isnt important :(
Registration date : 2011-01-12

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down