Always Worship
Very Happy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Always Worship
Very Happy
Always Worship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sept 4

+4
Audrey Jong
Christine Kim
Pa Ta Rick
Kevin
8 posters

Go down

Sept 4 Empty Sept 4

Post  Kevin Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:15 pm

Matthew 7:12
12 “Do to others whatever you would like them to do to you. This is the essence of all that is taught in the law and the prophets.

Clive Staples (C. S.) Lewis, a famous twentieth century British writer, wrote the Chronicles of Narnia. You may have read these books. They describe the adventures of Peter, Edmund, Susan, and Lucy, who discovered a magic wardrobe that took them to the land of Narnia. Lewis also authored a series of science fiction novels about a distant planet called Perelandra. Then he created a famous exchange of letters between two devils named Screwtape and Wormwood in his book The Screwtape Letters. One of Lewis's most influential books is Mere Christianity. In that book, he had a number of things to say about fair play. He wrote: Everyone has heard people quarreling. Sometimes it sounds funny and some-times it sounds merely unpleasant; but however it sounds, I believe we can learn something very important from listening to the kind of things they say. They say things like this: "How'd you like it if anyone did the same to you?"-"That's my seat, I was there first"-"Leave him alone, he isn't doing you any harm"-"Why should you shove in first?"-"Give me a bit of your orange, I gave you a bit of mine"-"Come on, you promised." People say things like that every day, educated people as well as uneducated, and children as well as grown-ups. Now what interests me about all these remarks is that the man who makes them is not merely saying that the other man's behavior does not happen to please him. He is appealing to some kind of standard of behaviour which he expects the other man to know about.... It looks, in fact, very much as if both parties had in mind some kind of Law or Rule of fair play or decent behaviour or morality or whatever you like to call it, about which they really agreed. And they have. If they had not, they might, of course, fight like animals, but they could not quarrel in the human sense of the word. Quarrelling means trying to show that the other man is in the wrong. And there would be no sense in trying to do that unless you and he had some sort of agreement as to what Right and Wrong are. . . . It seems, then, we are forced to believe in a real Right and Wrong. People may sometimes be mistaken about them, just as people sometimes get their sums wrong; but they are not a mere matter of taste and opinion any more than the multiplication table [C. S. Lewis, Mere Christianity (New York: Macmillan Publishing Company, 1943, 1945, 1952), pp. 3-4, 6].

REFLECT: If C. S. Lewis attended your school, what phrases appealing to a sense of justice or fairness would he hear most often?

PRAY: "I like to be treated fairly, God. Help me to treat others that way this week."
Kevin
Kevin
Perfection

Number of posts : 903
Birthday : i'm an orphan
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Sept 4 Empty Re: Sept 4

Post  Pa Ta Rick Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:25 pm

i didnt get the story bout C.S Lewis -_-

But what i did understand from the verse was that you should do to others as you want them to do to you.
I remember hearing of a saying that you should do the the things to others that you want them to do to you.

passage was very straight forward
Pa Ta Rick
Pa Ta Rick
Admin

Number of posts : 409
Birthday : Snitching Since 1945. I'm a monk.
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Christine Kim Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:43 pm

went to school today...it wasn't too bad since it was only orientation day for the grade 9s, i guess...my music and math teacher kind of scare me...
okay the passage was very straight forward today. the verse reminded me of the saying "treat others the way you want to be treated". in order, to become closer to God, we need to be able to act more alike Him which means we respect people. i have countlessly heard this all throughtout my childhood that in order to be respected, you need to be the first to show it in order for it to be reciprocated.
good luck to those starting their first day of school tomorrow!
Christine Kim
Christine Kim
minion

Number of posts : 186

Back to top Go down

Post  Audrey Jong Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:20 pm

Like Christine, this reminded me of the saying:
"Treat others the way you want to be treated"

But mostly the sermon from the retreat we had this summer....
You can't have only one part of the cross to follow God. You need an equal ammount of both. God didn't love certain people on this earth more than others. We are all made by the same creator. God want's us to love our neighbours, so why can't we? I think this is one of the verses that keeps on popping in my head when I read this. It's not the exact words from the bible but It has the main idea:
"Love my people as I have loved you...."

Have fun everyone in school!
"Hug a stranger, we're all relatives if we go back far enough....."
~Audrey~
Audrey Jong
Audrey Jong
Disposable

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Oh Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:20 pm

Audrey isn't that quote from the bathroom at Spring Rolls...?

So basically I pretty much got the same message as Christine, Audrey and Patrick.
We all want to be treated right. No one wants to deal with rude and unjust people. But we cant just expect people to be nice to us if we aren't doing the same! I forget who, but someone mentioned about WWJD in one of the past devos. We have to be like Jesus and love everyone no matter who they are, and what they do.
Ha now everyone else has school tomorrow! Good luck~!

Sarah Oh
Sarah Oh
minion

Number of posts : 251

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:48 am

To be honest the CS Lewis bit was rather confusing hahaha.
Treat others the way you want to be treated. That's a common saying we heard from when we were kids. Even though it's true, I believe there's more to it than just treating others the way we want to be treated. We treat others with love because Jesus loved us first. Not ONLY because it's what we want. Pastor Kye shared this in one of his sermons at the retreat and I've always had that mind set even before hearing him speak. Because Jesus loved us, love others. I suppose it's because I've always been told, let people see JEsus in you. It'd make sense!

Gah gotta get sleep for tomorrow!
school starts for me muahahah.
Cheers
Kevin
Kevin
Perfection

Number of posts : 903
Birthday : i'm an orphan
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post  James Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:28 am

I like this passage, especially the part where it says, no matter how educated you are, or how old you are, you always want those to respect you that you respect and always give them the coldest revenge, just like how they treat you.
"Treat each other, just like you would want to be treated."
Although elementary school stresses on this extremely hard, Jesus, our Saviour tells us to turn the other cheek.
Obviously keep that mentality of treating other people just like how you would want to, but always ever give back what they give you.
James
James
Disposable

Number of posts : 411
Birthday : No one cares about my birthday. I like kids.
Registration date : 2011-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post  Esther Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:32 pm

LOL I laughed because of how little sense that all made.
But we know we're supposed to treat others as we would want to be treated. And it's fairly simple... so why do we have such a hard time doing it?
All we have to do it take a step back and think "hey, would I want someone to do this for/to me?"
And I'm sure you guys understand why it's good to do this, so I won't go into that.
All I know is, we hear it so often, we forget to do it.
In fact, I'm not going to lie, sometimes I think us church people are a little.. too mean to each other. Because no matter how much of a joke YOU think it is, it may not feel like it to the other!

Esther
Esther
Disposable

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2011-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post  jaake kwon Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:39 am

what i gathered from the passage wasn't concerning the content of the passage but rather the usage of it.

this rule is something everybody us taught since birth, and many times out of all, we bend the rules to our own benefits. rather than bending our lifestyles to suit the rules. this passage was so well put by the bible, as if thr disciples saw into our future. the thing about this rule, is that it works kinda like war. the only thing that can end it, is for one person to treat the other well without being compensated for their efforts.

with that being said, It's ultimately up to one person to at least start whatever ends the issue.
jaake kwon
jaake kwon
Disposable

Number of posts : 338
Birthday : 7.21
Registration date : 2011-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down