Always Worship
Very Happy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Always Worship
Very Happy
Always Worship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Choosday, I choo-choo-choose you.

+8
Suji
Isaac
Sean
fobsquads
Joseph
Cathy
Roh
hannahlee
12 posters

Go down

Choosday, I choo-choo-choose you. Empty Choosday, I choo-choo-choose you.

Post  hannahlee Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:43 am

Simpsons, anyone?

I've been absolutely horrid with posting my devos the past couple days, so my apologies to the team for that.
New semester, and Hannah feels like a real student this time, haha. It's weird to think that it's the beginning of the end of this high school chapter. The rest of the school year's going to go by so quickly..Anyways. I heard last Sunday sounded great, and I'm so stoked to see everybody this coming week.
People better be coming to our street run! Smile

Ephesians 4:29
I love Ephesians. The entire book. It's only 6 chapters, so if you ever feel like a good read...Hahaha.

v.29 "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

This was one of those passages that discussed something that can be considered very "obvious" to any Sunday School Christians, but it's really important to re-affirm it once in a while, even for the 'most devout' Christians. It talks about gossip and slandering, and the abuse of the power of the Word. I found it most relevant to me because of this past weekend, where I spent it with 5 other teenage girls. Now, luckily, this group of friends and I are really good at carrying intelligent conversation without having to resort to talk about other people, but I noticed that once in a while it slips in. And whereas in the past, I could forgo it, now any kind of non-productive talk like that makes me feel 'cold' like Roh discussed yesterday, and I want to strive towards cutting it off completely. I think it's the hardest when others initiate it and you're stuck in a limbo, but this is one thing that needs to be addressed, bc not only is it against God's word, but it also holds you back from really getting to know a person, it isn't at all beneficial to anybody, and is not the best sight to be displaying as an 'active Christian' amongst your friends.
I love the part that says, "only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."
So Paul takes it from beyond just cutting off gossip, but really thinking about the words that you say. The bible is a prime example of the power of the word, and God has given each of us the same power to control. As Christians, we should be thinking not just about staying away from the 'bad' use of words, but actively thinking about ways we can use it to lift others up - calling that friend that wasn't feeling too great, etc. It's actions like that that will set us apart. So how do you use your power?

- H
hannahlee
hannahlee
minion

Number of posts : 219
Birthday : how tall? CN tower tall...
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

Choosday, I choo-choo-choose you. Empty Re: Choosday, I choo-choo-choose you.

Post  Roh Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:32 pm

I decided to hop on the bandwagon and read Ephesians! Sam spoke on Ephesians and he's going to do a serious on it. Like Sam said, this was a book written by Paul to the church of Ephesus. Not all churches had pastors so they would get letters like this and share it with the whole church as their Sunday teachings and blessings. He was one wise man.

I read Ephesians 2 and a couple verses that really stuck out are verses 10 and 11: "God's purpose in all this was to use the church to display his wisdom in its rich variety to all the unseen rulers and authorities in the heavenly places. This was his ETERNAL plan, which he carried out through Christ Jesus our Lord."

I wanto highlight a couple of things. I'm going to go backwards and first mention that this was his "eternal" plan. Everything written in the Bible aren't cute little stories from centuries ago that we should just read like all non-Christians and treat them like stories in just another fictitious book. Though many of these stories do not specify the applications for us, all these books are meant to convey truth and meaning into our lives. Everything you read, you should learn from, and apply into your lives. Remember what I said a few weeks ago? The best way to learn all of this is to "internalize" the teachings into your heart -- make it yours.

Secondly, I just want to remind you guys about something. Paul said that God's purpose in Jesus' death is so that our church can go out to the rest of the world and show God's wisdom. Are we doing that? Often times, we're busy containing God's wisdom withIN the church. But this is an obvious one. If we know the Good News, won't you want to go out there and spread it to the rest of the world? It only makes perfect sense. So let's not be Sunday Christians. Or even Friday Christians, for that matter. Or even further, Christians only when you're comfortable with showing your faith. At all times, let's display God's wisdom through our actions and words. This is really important.

If there's one thing you guys can get out of the praise team before I left, I'd want you guys to become daily Christians that have so much discipline and faith. Keepying yourselves true to devos, being accountable to yourself for all your actions, and living by the Word.

Roh
Roh
Roh
Admin

Number of posts : 147

https://milal.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:07 pm

hahah did I just read a reference to RALPH WIGGUMS?
gotta love ralph. my favourite person ever
So I too, have decided to CONFORMMMMM! And I decided to read Ephesians too because I got my bible today and didn't know where to start.

Ephesians 2 1-4: "Once you were dead because of your disobedience and your many sins. You used to live in sin, just like the rest of the world, obeying the devil - the commander of the powers in the unseen world. he is the spirit at work in the hearts of those who refuse to obey God. All of us used to live taht way, following the passionate desires and inclinations of our sinful nature. By our very nature we were subject to God's anger, just like everyone else. But God is so rich in mercy, and He loved us so much, that even though we were dead because of our sins, He gave us life when He raised Chrsit from the dead. (it is only by God's grace that you have been saved)"

I liked this verse because it reminded me that we are all born with innate evil. (Lord of the Flies, anyone?) We are all sinners, and all of us have the natural inclination to sin. Thus, every single one of us are subject to God's anger and his judgement. Before accepting Christ, though, we let the devil comand our lives. I liked how the verse described the devil as 'the commander of the powers in the unseen world'. By saying unseen, I think that Paul meant the dark side of the spritiual world, where there is a constant struggle between good and evil and where spiritual warfare comes in. And because of his power over our former lives, he inclined us to disobey God and live a sinful life, in which there was darkness and death. If any of you guys have read the screwtape letters it's CS Lewis' way of really showing us how clever and sly the devil is, that he uses everyday things and thoughts to turn us away from God and into a life of corruption and sin. And even though we gave in to Satan's temptations and his trickery and we committed the sins that made us 'dead' spiritually, God's grace gave us the gift of life. And through him we are sort of able to rise from the dead in a spiritual way, reflective of the way that Jesus rose from the dead physically. Even though we all know this and it's basically the salvation message, this verse really got to me by using the word 'dead' to describe our lives before christ and 'alive' to describe our lives after. This really heavy juxtaposition really made me think back to how different my life was before I became a Christian. And then I look at myself now, and I know that I have grown so much and really found so much more meaning in life, as I'm sure all of you have as well. And really, isn't that the difference between life and death? A life without meaning or God or love really isn't life at all, right? Smile
Cathy
Cathy
Disposable

Number of posts : 401

Back to top Go down

Post  Joseph Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:15 pm

So i read romans chapter 5 today, and i found a verse i wanted to share..

Romans 5:1-5

Therefore since we have been Justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverence, Perseverence charater and charater hope. And hope does not disapoint us, because God has poured out his love into your hearts by the Holy spirit who he has given us.

God has given us peace and grace in this world. Just like on sunday service, right before Sam does his sermon he would say grace to you and peace. It is telling us a message that Gods peace and grace in this world. Another thing i learned from this passage is that GOd can only change your character not your personaliity. Sam also mentioned about that on sunday sermon. In verse 3 it is saying that suffering produces perseverance. I think it is telling us that we all suffer. Just like how Jesus suffered from sacrificing himself on the cross for our sins. And suffer comes from hard work. We all suffer from studying hard for exams, and etc. And i also forgot to mention in verse 1 it says if we are justified through faith we will have peace with God through Jesus Christ. I think it is telling us that in order to get to God, we must get through Jesus Christ, and that is having faith. Faith is the key word. If you have no faith you cannot get through Jesus. Having faith will give what you want.

So be thank full for everything, because God has given peace and grace in this world.

Amen.......

take care guys, and may God be with you...
Joseph
Joseph
minion

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Choosday, I choo-choo-choose you. Empty me devos

Post  fobsquads Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:52 pm

hey guys!
how you doing? so i've spent hours looking for a condo... terribly hard. anyways, if you guys know of anybody moving out of theirs or if you know of any condos for rent, please let me know! on a totally side note, here is my devotions for today! yes i did them yesterday, but i got in so late last night i didn't have the energy to post it!

what i read: Romans 6
what i learned: well the previous chapter said something so profound that leads up to this chapter. it questions us. it says it is easy to do good things for good people, and people who are good to us, but when is the last time we have done anything good for people who are bad. for everybody who steals, murders, i'm sure we all do this, well i know that i do, that i look poorly upon them. This chapter states there was one man that came to do good for all bad people in the world, including you and i. as we go into the following chapter, it states this question: so since we know that we as bad people have gotten something good, what do we do with it.. take advantage of it, or treat it as something of profound grace?
what i am going to do: well a couple of things... i have learned that just like Christ who did something good for someone who was bad.. .me, i should be able to do the same and i got to learn to do the same! also, i got to learn not take advantage of the grace that God has given me! there is freedom in it, but often times i find i take advantage of it as well.
sam
fobsquads
fobsquads
minion

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:53 pm

HEY guys! Man I LOVE my semester two! I'm actually having fun learning in my class! Its a wonderful feeling!!
Hope you guys have great week,

Romans 8:1-17

v.5 "Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires"

I really like this verse alot because it says NATURE and SPIRIT. I noticed how it says nature, saying that sin is natural. We are born with sin but it is our choice to not be drawn or commit the sin, and that is setting out mind to the Spirits desires.
Sean
Sean
minion

Number of posts : 36
Birthday : when michael was born

Back to top Go down

Post  Isaac Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:03 pm

hello hello, i too amm reading Ephesians because i think its good to read a head of time what Sam will preach on. Also Hannah, thumbs up... Very Happy

In chapter 3 of Ephesians there is one part i was inspired the most with. "Paul's Prayer For Spiritual Growth" says 17"Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him..." I like this whole two way street thing going on. Like Jesus isnt "lucky" for us to worship him, its the other way around. We are LUCKY to worship Jesus. HE made a home in OUR hearts. You know? like he came in, not the other way around. And only as we "trust in him".

Thats what i got from Ephesians so far. Sorry for the late posts (again). It took a while for me to be "inspired" so i got all the way to chapter 3. Seeing as we werent restricted to one chapter a day, i really didnt want to post a "didnt get much, thats it" devo.

E-Sek OUT!
Isaac
Isaac
Admin

Number of posts : 916
Birthday : will you eat my baguette?

Back to top Go down

Post  Suji Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:10 pm

Hey guys. Hope all is going well with school and the fluffies coming from up above.

Ruth 3

umm- didin't really get it
Naomi tells her daughter- in law to do certain tasks after Boaz has eaten his dinner and basically receives blessing and favouring. So Ruth goes back home with barley and Boaz sees her noble character and attraction in that.
Man, that Naomi is a smart lady- she knows how to get her daughter a man

Okay- didn't really get anything further meaningful

Maybe next passage.

Later Days
Suji
Suji
minion

Number of posts : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  JacobPk Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:14 pm

Just got home from band aha.
Since most of you guys did Ephesians,,, i DID.. Proverbs.

Proverbs 13.
It ties in with Hannahs "badmouthing" idea.
"A gossip goes around telling secrets, but those who are trustworthy can keep a confidence."

I also find myself randomly talking bad abotu people at times, but there are times where i think its not THAT bad. Clearly wrong.
I'm steadily learning though, usually when gossip starts i just tend to smile and walk away even if i get in the midst of it.
Also, it gives people who are trustworthy more confidence in terms of your friendship with others and to build up relationships.
Its easy to break a relationship, but its hard to maintain or build up on it after its shattered.
JacobPk
JacobPk
Disposable

Number of posts : 458
Birthday : I like men

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:29 pm

o boy this randomly picking devos thing is EXTREMELY hard..i have no clue on what to talk about
o well here it goes..

well i read proverbs like jacob and found this verse quite interesting

"the way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice"

i think many people think the right way to live is the way of the North American life and the typical life, it might seem more right then the christian life because it is SO MUCH easier to live. Like it says it is the way of the fool, it doesn't get you anywhere in terms of with God, nothing in this world lasts forever. I think we were all given advice by somebody, and it states that a wise man listens to advice because somethings you just can't overcome by yourself. This is very crucial for the praise team and the leadership team, if someone gives us advice we must take it and not reject it, as it is to help us and to bring us down..

Andy
minion

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Ha Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:45 pm

I dunno what to do, so I'll just do Ephesians too... if I can find it ==

so I just finished reading Chapter 1... and I didn't get much out of it
I kinda got this feeling though that God = Time and not God controls Time
the reason being that both God and time reveal things progressively in a chronological order
Both God and Time does not keep secrets from us, since God and Time are both moving forward, everything has already been revealed by their means, we just gotta wait to find out
Both God and Time are never-ending
Both God and Time influence us in such a way that we cannot go back
etc. etc.
I'm not sure what this has to do with anything, but this was what came to my head so I decided to write it out as my devo

http://www.soompi.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=175968
Michael Ha
Michael Ha
minion

Number of posts : 214
Birthday : in you

Back to top Go down

Post  dennis Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:59 am

Ugh sorrrry for the terribly late devos.

Ezekiel 11

v.19 "I will give them one heart, and I will put a new spirit within you; and I will take the stony heart out of their flesh, and will give them a heart of flesh."

This is one of my favorite verses in the Bible because it shows the transformation through which many believers go when they accept Christ. Reflecting on it right now, I think that this verse applies not only when we first accept God into our hearts, but sticks with us everyday in our lives. As we all know, being a Christian is definitely not easy because we are often tempted to sin and stray away from our faithful walks with God. Through this verse, we recognize that we don't have to be in this alone- that we have others whom we can ask for help when we are struggling.

As leaders at this church, let's be accountable to each other so that we can show other people that God gave us one heart of flesh.

-Denise
dennis
dennis
minion

Number of posts : 204

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down