Always Worship
Very Happy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Always Worship
Very Happy
Always Worship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Luke Devotion 18

+11
Sean
Joseph
Andy
fobsquads
Roh
JacobPk
Suji
dennis
Cathy
Isaac
Allan
15 posters

Go down

Luke Devotion 18 Empty Luke Devotion 18

Post  Allan Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:42 am

I am reading chapter 18 and the thing that comes to my mind is "Status", more specifically "Social Status"

Why does Jesus always use people who are in upper class of society in his stories. Judge, The Rich, Pharisees. I believe it is easier to sin when you have power, because what is the norm going to do about it. The fact that no one will ever look down on you is overwhelming. I think humbleness can go a long way. You think that people who are higher in the social click* to be humble, but...there not. Is it not a frighting thing to know that, the people that should be leading are so easily corrupted.

Verse 6-14

Is talking about the exact same thing
Throughout Luke and John, I can't take the word Pharisees seriously. When I come across that word, some kind of disappointment and anger swells up, because you know that these are the most hypocritical people in the Bible (previous devotion reference). People who are supposedly close to God, are acting against the word. In the end the normal tax collector who was not high and powerful in society, had the RIGHT heart. God does not pick favorites and he does not take such superficial things as "status" into considerations. God will take favor in whoever comes with a right and pure heart.

The mind of a child. A mind of pure thoughts. A heart of pure emotions...I can go on. The likeness of a child. I think we really have to take this into considerations. I don't mean we act like toddlers, but Children are free from shackles of this world. A kid is not going to worry about useless, superficial things like whatever. We should embrace God, metaphorically as a child. Trust in him and love him with all our hearts.
Allan
Allan
Disposable

Number of posts : 314
Birthday : Viet for life
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Luke Devotion 18 Empty Re: Luke Devotion 18

Post  Isaac Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:58 pm

hey guys/gals!

im reading a book called Jesus Freaks. Its a good book. (i can lend it to anyone who wants to read it after im done). its a book that tells story after story about people in the past who had such a passion for Jesus they were coined "Jesus freaks" in the 60s. A lot of people have died, and their stories are told in the book. some stories are inspiring while some are gruesome. When i read the first sentence "1Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up." It made me think about all the people that never gave up their faith in Jesus.
Although i got a lot from the chapter(like the rich man camel parable) i got a lot from the book and the first sentence from this chapter.
The author coins them "The voice of the Martyrs". Martyr (from the Greek word for "witness" is one who chooses to suffer death rather than deny Jesus Christ or his work.
We should all be "martyrs". There was a time when i used to be not so out going with my Christianity. Not that i was ashamed, i d would have just rather not proclaim it to my friends. Im sure a lot of you were like this/ maybe are like this. But some people have died and have been tortured for the same thing "i rather not talk about".
Anywho thats just my blurb...

Lets keep up with our devos k? Some of the praise team hasnt made an account yet... its ok we ll help them on sunday but for those who have been good job!

E-Sek OUT!
p.s Suji, that picture is of me when im at home Wink hope you like it.
Isaac
Isaac
Admin

Number of posts : 916
Birthday : will you eat my baguette?
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:18 pm

isaac, you read ANOTHER book? thats TWO in 16 years, my friend! IM SO PROUD OF YOU! HAHA
loser.

I skipped french and english to come home and study for my math exam. I ended up napping for like. 3 hrs.. SO GOOD Sleep

LUKE 18:

The parable of the Persistent Widow:
Jesus teaches us that even a judge who doesn't care for God or for any other human being will grant the wishes of the widow and bring her justice, because of her persistence. And then he compare this judge to God, and says - if somene who doesn't even care about the widow does what the widow wants, then how much more will God do for us? Cause God actually does care about us. and unlike the judge, he sort of.. is God so I guess he automatically cares about God? LOl at first I read this and I was like.. does that mean that God only does what we want because we annoy him? Hhaha But I think that Jesus means that if slight annoyance is enough for the hearless judge to grant wishes, then persistence will definetly make God, who acutally does care about us and lovees us will want to bless us. Hahah Cathy Pak here is going to pray very hard about exams.

The parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector:
At first the Pharisee talks about how righteous he is, and how glad he is that he is not a sinner and thus, must be righteous in the eyes of God. But on the other hand, the tax collector didn't even look up to heaven, but beat his chest and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.' By doing this, he really brought himself before God. He recognized how much of a sinner he was, realized how weak he was and really gave all of his life to God. He asked for mercy knowing that he needed it and that he could not do it alone. On the other hand, the Pharisee was pretty self-righteous and kinda cocky about his faith. Instead of using his righteous actions to worship God, he turned it into a form of self-worship.
Thus Jesus says, 14"I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." I think this passage really reminds us to be humble Christians. Ofcourse there are a lot of people around us that are really realy sinful and its easy for us to pass judgment and think, 'that person isnt righteous/holy'. But who can judge but God? Let's rememebr that we are sinners too - and unlike the Pharisee, lets use our good works to glorify GOD Smile
Cathy
Cathy
Disposable

Number of posts : 401

Back to top Go down

Post  dennis Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:23 pm

I'm finished my chem test
I'm finished my chem test
I am so happy
Lalalalalalala
I am no more hormonal

Soo. the best thing happened to me today. I go to take my test all nervous and shivering, and the test is exactly the same as the one from last year, which I looked over last night. Pretty much, I whizzed right through, and was so happy. Very Happy Very Happy

Luke 18

v.7 "And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night?"
I saw the power of prayer and praise through this verse. At first, I was a little confused as to how the judge who granted the widow justice was similar to God because the judge was tired of the widow's persistence. Looking beyond that, God is a lot like the judge because He cares for the neglected, and immediately listens to those who are desperate to know Him and to receive help from Him.

v.14 "For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."
When I read this verse, I was like "Ahah!" because I remember reading it in one of the chapters from before. I remember Sam telling us that when things are repeated in the Bible, they are important; from this repeated verse, I realized that being humble is one of the most important aspects of being a believer. I think that it's easiest to show our talents off, but, when we remind ourselves that those skills were given to us by God, hopefully, we can be humble.

v.17 "I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."
I was wondering how we could be like "children" to be able to enter heaven. It took me a while, but finally I saw that children are so innocent and have so much room and time to grow. I think that Jesus is telling his disciples and others that having the mindset of a child or an infant is the perfect way to live for God. To me, a child is not afraid to try new things, able to learn a lot, and learns from experience that something is right and something is wrong. People who are willing to be guided by God and grow with His help will be chosen by God as His children. Just as a little child touches a hot pan and knows not to touch it in the future, hopefully, we can learn not to be tempted by our habitual sins.

v.29 "No one who has left home or wife or brothers or parents or children for the sake of the kingdom of God will fail to receive many times as much in this age and, in the age to come, eternal life."
Basically, I really like this chapter because it made me think about what each verses meant. When I first looked at this verse, I thought that it was weird that God would reward us when we abandon our families. Then, I thought for a little while longer, and realized that Jesus wasn't telling us to leave our families, but to love God so much more so that He is #1 in our lives. If we were to choose between our family and God, would we not hesitate before choosing one or the other? It is definitely hard to commit more to God than our own family. Hopefully, through our devos, we can see the amazing things that God does in people's lives and learn to appreciate Him more than we do now.
dennis
dennis
minion

Number of posts : 204

Back to top Go down

Post  Suji Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:03 am

Have english exam tommorow and its an essay about Othello and Catcher in the Rye. I know I can do it but I hate OTHELLLO and my worst essays are under restricted times.
Grrr....damn academics
On top of that I have a deca thingy coming up that I haven't studied for and swimming regionals!
AHHH- but semi is coming up!!! much excitement for that Smile
Denise- cougar! you go get him!
Cathy- you will look HOT in that electric blue dress you want Wink watch out for some perverted boys!
haha- i'm gonna take pictures of Mike and his girlfreind dancing to slow music Smile my stalker mode will be put in play
who is else is going?!
and Isaac that picture of you at home is WAY more attractive than what you usually look like- heehee jksjks

Ok when reading Luke 18 I really saw the importance of praying consistently. When ever I pray for a person or for an issue my passion and faith that change will happen dies away because I don't see what God is doing. This passage helped me that God will bring justice to the problems that I present. ALso when i read that verse I thought maybe my problems are not worthy of receiving justice.
:So know that God will bring justice but it will take time and know what your prayers are about also for its purpose shouldn't be abused
Suji
Suji
minion

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post  JacobPk Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:32 am

Verse 27. " WHat is impossible for people is possible with God."
KInd of obvious isn't it? Yet we still fail to put our faith in God sometimes. Key word : WITH.
Anything and Everythign is possible for God. The people asked Jesus before he said this, then who can be saved? IT would've been impossible for us to go to heaven if it wasn't for God. Saying that God can make something that seems impossible, possible just like that. We should stop doubting and just give it to God. Impossible is nothing - Best Buy.
JacobPk
JacobPk
Disposable

Number of posts : 458
Birthday : I like men

Back to top Go down

Post  Isaac Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:41 am

yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Stevens internet is on the fritz... he will update his devos asap. alien
Isaac
Isaac
Admin

Number of posts : 916
Birthday : will you eat my baguette?

Back to top Go down

Post  Roh Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:46 am

Hey guys!

The set list for the praise team is sent out, so please take a look and practise! I know that you guys are busy this week, but to let practice run somewhat smoothly on Friday, please take the time to look over everything at least once and know what you're doing on Friday.

The story of the Rich Ruler really caught my attention in this chapter. I was reading this chapter at 7:30 this morning, going in and out of sleep, so I had to read it again and I completely missed this! It's really sad how even the people around Jesus who were supposed to be his "best men" failed to comply to Jesus' teachings and it shows that Jesus didn't really even have much faith in them at times. This story was really for the strict Jews back then who believed that their deeds, not their faith in God, was going to help them get to heaven. But it is soooo applicable today! Look at everyone around us. People tend to do good things for themselves or to justify their sins. Many times we sin, and we think it's okay in our heads because we balance our sins with our kind acts towards others. God doesn't need that from you. God doesn't need anything, but he wants a relationship with you! Imagine being a father. If your son made a mistake, you would want him to learn. Instead, he just paid you $100 every single time he screwed up, but kept making the same mistakes over and over again. Would you want that daily $100, or would you want his effort? The answer is pretty clear.

Jesus said in verse 27, "What is impossible with men is possible with God."

Jesus makes ALL things possible. So as we talked about this before from Proverbs, present all your requests to God and with thanksgiving, show your appreciation. God is on your side.

Roh
Roh
Roh
Admin

Number of posts : 147

https://milal.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Luke Devotion 18 Empty my stuff...

Post  fobsquads Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:15 am

Hey Guys!
how are you doing? well here are the goods for me today!
What i read: Luke 18
What i learned: this passage was quite the interesting, you can definitely see the heart of Luke in this passage, as Luke is all about the minorities, we see a passage about the widow, the children, the tax collector, and the blind. in the book of Amos, God specifically instructs the people to be helping the orphan, the widow, and the fatherless, and we see examples of this, and that the theme of the Old Testament is still true to the day of Luke and still true to our day as well. More specifically i saw how God's hand is at work through these types of people, but what i found most interesting, is this: despite all that God does to make sure that these types of people are helped, they too turn their backs on God as well. it states in verse 32 "He will be handed over to the Gentiles. they will mock him, insult him, spit on him, flog him and kill him". After all that God does for the poor, the sick, the lame, the widow, and the fatherless, it is these people who turn Jesus over and flog him, mock him, insult him, spit on him, and kill him. As i thought about all that Jesus did for these people not only in this passage, but still today for me and for all the other Gentiles in this world, it made me think, man we suck. how is it that we still turn our backs on God despite all that He does for us, despite all that He wants for us, we still choose to flog him, mock him, insult him.
What i am going to do: i've been thinking a lot lately about this concept: what would life be like if I fully knew God was present in all that i did. how would my comments change, how would my actions change. then as i was reflecting on this passage, i was thinking about how much time i spend in floggin my God right in His face! how i insult him right in his face! how i kill him right in his face. kind of breaks me. so i got to learn to live with more of a conscious of God's presence in my life....

i also read...
Job 20
What i learned: man, this chapter is soooo frustrating. John Ortberg and my text talks about this theory called the theory of retribution. what it is this: they believe that if you do bad things, God will bring vengence upon you for doing bad things, but if you do good things, God will bring good things to you. but at the very beginning of the chapter, satan poses this question: 'does Job love you (God) for nothing'. And that is a question that i still ponder for myself, but in this passage, it is quite interesting because we see that for Job's friend Zophar, he firmly believes in it. he even states this comment which i found rather harsh "He will spit out the riches he swallowed; God will make his stomach vomit them up". i mean come on now, God is not like that at all, but it is interesting how their view was of God, and i often think that our view of God is like this as well, where we think if we search for riches and the things of this world God is going to make us pay the price for it. i honestly think that we will pay for what we get, not because of God, but because of the separation that we choose to take from God when we make decisions like that...
what i am going to do: well my thoughts are that i need to continue to focus on the love of God and not the repercussions of loving Him, and to focus on the goodness of loving God, but not look for anything in return for loving Him!

sam
fobsquads
fobsquads
minion

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:25 am

Ummmmm im sorta used to doing one section at a time so ill just include little from each..
busy busy busy..

first section
Our god is a just god. He will bring justice when he feels the time is right and he will not put off those that cry out to him.

2nd
God doesnt want us boasting about what we do right, even though we might think were doing right..were actually not cuz God can find the faults in us easy, since were not perfect. He rather want the humble man, someone that knows that he/she is doing wrong and acknowledging it.

3rd
This one was sorta confusing..I think that Jesus says that we have to RECEIVE the kingdom of God. He states that it is open to anyone, young and old.

4th
This one was probably the highlight of this chapter. Even though we think we are good, perfect and right, we can never fulfill everything that God has laid out for us because we are not perfect. "what is impossible with men is possible with God." really hit me, truly with God anything is possible, from healing to driving out demons.

5th
This is just stating the prophecy over again. This has been repeated through out scripture numerous times and this time Jesus says it directly to the 12.

6th
FAITH FAITH FAITH. Thats all there is to it, if we have faith anything is possible. Since Jesus knew the man had faith, so he cured him. We must have faith like that man..

Andy
minion

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Joseph Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:35 am

Wuzzup, o good job on your test DK....(Donky Kong)

This chapter was quite interesting, and i found these verses interesting to me..here it is

v22. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. in this verse God is telling us, we should sacrifice our self and give it to the poor. Just like how Jesus christ came down to earth to sacrifice himself on the croos for our sins. God is telling us that if we do as he commanded us to do, he will give us great treasure as we enter to the kingdom of heaven. This verse reminded me when we went to street missions, and we would make sandwiches for the poor. This was really good. And im sure God was really pleases about it. Im also excited going to street mission when we hand out some clothing, gano be sick.

v23-25. When he heard this, he became very sad, because he was a man of great wealth. Jesus looked at him and said "How hard it is for the rich to enter the kingdom of heaven of God, Indeed it is easier for a camal to go through the eye of a needle then for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God. in this passage God is telling us how it is difficult of a rich man to go into heaven, because it is hard for a rich person to give all he has to the poor. It is huge sacrifice. And also a rich man has less time spending time with God because of there Job situations. In the other hand God is telling us that being poor is easier to go into heaven. he is saying this because being poor will give you the time to have more quality time with God. And God will be pleased. If you are poor there will be less things to worry about, and all they would need is God. That as you go into heaven he will give you great treasure.

v42. Jesus said to him,Recieve your sight your faith has healed you.Immediatly he revieved his sight andfollowed Jesus prasing God. And so also all the other people praise the Lord. In this verse there has been another mircale. When the blind man went up to Jesus to ask for healing, this man had faith. And So Jesus said let there be sight, and the man recieved sight. Jesus said to him, your are healed because of your faith. Having faith will give you what you need.

AMEN.........................
Joseph
Joseph
minion

Number of posts : 66

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:54 am

haha no school tomorrow! but study study study:)

LUKE 18

"The Parable Of The Persistent Widow"

So basically what I got from this parable is that there was a judge and a widow Shocked The judge did not care about men and did not fear GOD, I guess this is somewhat a corrupted cop or judge or something like that. Dirty cash. So the widow wanted justice against her adversary. It doesn't really say what the justice is for but seeing as it wasnt mentioned, it seems like its not important. But the widow keeps persisting and the judge finally gives in only because he wants to get rid of the annoyance (widow). I think this is a comparison that GOD is making, between himself and this unjust judge, GOD is saying, I do not answer your pleads and prayers out of annoyance but the opposite, I answer them because I want to grant justice. He is saying he will never put us aside for something else and he will see that they get justice, and quickly. Notice how he doesn't say prayers or gifts? He says justice. I think hes making it clear that even though he answers prayers, he is referring to those prayers when we consult GOD as our last resort:S when we have nothing else and we pray to him, please let me pass my exam, or get me this. He says justice because it is sort of our right to have justice. Exclamation

"The Parable Of The Phraisee And The Tax Collector"

This was huge! I find it kind of funny that the Phraisee has the nuts to say that to GOD, he's basically saying oh GOD thank you I am not like those losers, it seems like he is a stupid and cocky person, the worst combo ever. What is admirable about the tax collector is he is so ashamed of his sin that he cant even look up at the heavens and he only asks for forgiveness and mercy. Sometimes I find that we are the Phrarisee, maybe not to that extent but since we are leaders, we should try to make the effort to be like the tax collector, to consider ourselves no higher then a sinner. The leaders should be the one setting the example, not someone else.

"The Little Children And Jesus"

This stands out to me, the mothers of the children want there child to be touched by Jesus so bad that they all crowd around him, I can kind of imagine a crowd of chicks shouting touch my baby, hahaha. Anyways the disciples rebuke them. I think this was like Obama signing autographs or something, and all these children want is to talk to him, but his security guards think they are a nuissance in a sense, this is what the disciples do, the children are not "worthy" enough to talk or even be touched by Jesus, but Jesus says that anyone who will not receive the kingdom of GOD like a little child, will never enter it. When I was little, my uncle used to spoil me with toys, and I would get soooo happy and excited. I think this is what Jesus means, that we should be overwhelmed and joyful that we get to enter the kingdom of GOD, happy and excited like a child.

"The Rich Ruler"

So this was intresting but it was even more intresting to read it again, I got to see it from a different point of view. No one really looks from the rich man, people now say ohh what an idiot, just give it up, its heaven. But I think it would have been extremely difficult for me. To leave my family, my friends and everything that I own, is a huge jump. It is easy to go from poor to rich, but way harder to go from rich to poor. Sucks for that guy.

"Jesus Again Predicts His Death"

This one didnt stand out to me that much, it was just a repeat of before.

"A Blind Beggar Receives His Sight"

This was pretty sick, when Jesus was walking there was a huge uproar and everyone was shouting and stuff, the blind beggar wants to know whats happening and they reply Jesus of Nazaereth is passing by. I am pretty sure thats HUGE, when is Jesus ever gonna pass by again, so the blind beggar tries to take advantage, he keeps calling to Jesus and he comes to him, he asks what do you want me to do for you, and in turn he replies LORD I want to see. Amazing how he says it more like a statement rather then a request, he already believes it going to happen and ultimately I think thats why he was given his sight.

I will try to be more like this beggar, to be humble and have faith like a mustard seed.
Sean
Sean
minion

Number of posts : 36
Birthday : when michael was born

Back to top Go down

Luke Devotion 18 Empty Luke 18 - Devotion

Post  Moses Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:57 am

K guys sry for the late post, busy studying for exams ><'
anyways......
all the parables and mini passages in this chapter seem to point to the fact that
God can do anything and that nothing is impossible. Nevertheless, before we can
join God in heaven, we need to be aware of the fact that what we have here on
Earth will be meaningless when we die. As Jesus says, we need to be like little children
who do not hinder because of pride, status, money etc. We should be able to give up
everything for God since God is the one who has given us all that we have. With faith,
comes our complete submission to God.

Moses

Number of posts : 4

Back to top Go down

Post  Steven.Hong Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:01 pm

hey guys finally no more grade 10 english
hehehehehehehehehe
tomorrow math exam hehehe
sorry for not doing devo my internet was pretty messed up

v42. "And Jesus said, All right right receive your sight! your faith has healed you"
As I said the day before Jesus only heals the people who have faith in him and I love how he made soo much miraclesssss....
I think that if you asked Jesus something he will give you that thing but also add more stuff into it.. so basically I am saying that
yoou will get more than you bargained forr....

-Steven Hong lol!
Steven.Hong
Steven.Hong
minion

Number of posts : 142
Birthday : Inside 8====D~~~~o
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Ha Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:45 am

Hey guys
The things i leanred from this chapter were pretty straightforward...
I could comment on them but I'd just be repeating things off the Chapter so.. ya.. onto today's devo
Michael Ha
Michael Ha
minion

Number of posts : 214
Birthday : in you

Back to top Go down

Post  hannahlee Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:22 pm

SORRY. My internet hasn't been letting me access the forum for the past couple days. Thank the Lord for COPY + PASTE.

DONE DONE DONE.
Culminating Tasks all in, Vocal Exams and school testing all done!
I practically have like a second winter break in January. Mwuhahahaha. Feeeeelin' good.
AND Obama was inaugurated. He is beautiful. My school had TVs going in our caf, gym, and sac office, and it was wilddd. Hahaha.Thanks Miguel, for those lovely inauguration dinky winks. Really.

Luke 18.

v.1 "They should always pray and never give up."
v.7 "So don't you think God will surely give justice to His chosen people who cry out to Him day and night?"

I love how all of Jesus' parables make such sense in the context of real life. His parable about the judge? Completely realistic. Awesome. Anyways, this reminded me that I have to be persistent with my prayer. That even though I might not see them answered right away, God wants to see us keeping at it, and He'll certainly answer us eventually.

v.14 "For those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will exalted."

Luke 14:11 anyone??? Hahaha. In those exact same words. I really like this verse from Luke, it's one that's stuck with me through our devos in this chapter. I like it because it makes such sense. And when Jesus mentions it twice, so soon one after the other, you can know that it's a very significant lesson he really wants us to understand.

Jesus Heals A Blind Beggar

The persistence of the blind beggar's shouting, despite people pushing him down kind of had me immediately reminiscent of what we'd read about at the beginning of the chapter about the persistence with prayer. Because as was the case with this parable, Jesus eventually hears him through the crowd and answers his prayers.
hannahlee
hannahlee
minion

Number of posts : 219
Birthday : how tall? CN tower tall...

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down