Always Worship
Very Happy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Always Worship
Very Happy
Always Worship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E-L-E-V-E-N

+5
Isaac
Allan
dennis
hannahlee
Roh
9 posters

Go down

E-L-E-V-E-N Empty E-L-E-V-E-N

Post  Roh Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:41 pm

First time that the disciples are called "Christians"! I guess this meant "People of Jesus Christ", the same meaning that we have for it today. And Barnabas and Saul weren't even part of the disciples! This is amazing...The disciples were trained so well by God that people that they evangelized to were doing great works. Not just good, but great.

This reminds me of our church. There's always an influx of leaders that come and go, due to the nature of our hi-c. People become grade 7, and people also graduate! I like that our leadership team is so solid right now, because it shows the condition of the leaders that were present before. And I know that in a couple of years when all of the older leaders graduate, there's going to be new ones and they're going to be doing great things as well.

I want the same to occur within our praise team too! Sad, but Denise and Hannah will be leaving! We'll probably get a couple of new kids and I want them to look at the older ones and automatically follow them by example.

So guys, on and off the stage, let's set a great example for the disciples to come!

Roh
Roh
Roh
Admin

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-09-09

https://milal.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

E-L-E-V-E-N Empty Re: E-L-E-V-E-N

Post  hannahlee Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:11 pm

ACTS ELEVEN

29The disciples, each according to his ability, decided to provide help for the brothers living in Judea. 30This they did, sending their gift to the elders by Barnabas and Saul.

What I especially like from this verse is the added detail of how each of the disciples provided help, according to his ability.

In the greater scheme of things, we live in a world where only certain talents, careers, and abilities are associated with success, effective world aid, worthwhile and impacting, etc. I'm sure that though we might not all agree with this, we can admit that N. America typically condones the idea that to make any kind of a difference, you need to become a person of power and influence, which in society's eyes is only attainable by becoming a businessman, a doctor, a lawyer, etc. But we are God's children, and as our Father, doesn't He want what's best for us? If that was what was best for all of us, He would have crafted each one of us so that we were all fit to become those things. But He didn't. He gave each and every one of us unique talents and abilities to do all kinds of things in this world, and help those in need, according to our abilities - abilities that God carefully handpicked for every individual.

We can look at the church as a microcosm for this.
Within our Hi-C, I know that attending its weekly services since grade 7, I was always under the impression that the only way for one to effectively serve was to join the praise team or be on the leadership team. They always seemed to be the only ones appreciated, and there were faces to the 10 to 15 of them that the entire ministry could know. But we have a congregation of 70+ and you can't mean to tell me that of the 70 of us, only 18 or so are fit with the abilities to serve...So I think that as visible leaders in our ministry, we need to help facilitate for having others recognize that there are other ways to serve and help them tap into using their God-given abilities, whether it's through providing opportunities or regularly recognizing and showing appreciation for the serving that often goes unseen in our ministry.

EXAMPLES:
I know some kids in our Hi-C that really enjoy setting up the equipment with us, week for week, as hard as that may be to believe for some! I know that some might argue that that's simply "using" them or something, and while that idea initially occurred to me, I thought about it and really beg to differ with it. Everyone has different passions and abilities and there are those that genuinely prefer and enjoy serving behind-the-scenes and comparatively would hate to go in front of the congregation week for week and lead praise. So, I think that instead of only letting them do a half-hearted job, by giving them things to carry, etc., if you're convinced that they help us because they enjoy serving that way, then let's take the time to teach them how to set up things properly, for example, so they can serve, serve, serve! The last thing I'd ever want in our ministry is to have people feel that they want to serve God within the Hi-C, but simply can't see how they could. And I fear that it's already happening..

Secondly, I know there are people like JJ who come and set up the chairs every week, and it typically goes unnoticed because people expect it be a given. 'Of course the chairs should be set up for service.' But just because it's a necessity, doesn't mean that everybody would be willing to take on the role. So I also think it's important, that especially as leaders, we take the time to recognize these kinds of things and let them know on occasion..We all know how nice it feels to be encouraged after a good week of praise, but just as, or more, important than us is the powerpoint, is the chairs where the congregation can sit, etc.

I suppose I took this verse and made it into a kind of a spiel. But a good kind of a spiel, I'll hope, haha.
I hope you guys take the time to read this, because I feel like it can be another stepping stone in our development as true leaders in our ministry!

Have a great Wednesday, peepo!

- H
hannahlee
hannahlee
minion

Number of posts : 219
Birthday : how tall? CN tower tall...

Back to top Go down

Post  dennis Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:01 am

ACTS 11.

v.18 "So then, God has granted even the Gentiles repentance unto life."

I wasn't exactly sure who the Gentiles were (besides not being Jewish), so I looked it up on google, and found out that they were uncircumcised people who belong in the "nations". In this chapter, some of these Gentiles were surprised that God was more than willing to forgive the sinful Gentiles so they could have eternal lives. The Gentiles thought that they were undeserving of such love and kindness. But God's grace is His gift to everyone no matter how deserving they are.

I find that many non-Christians, including my friends at school, are afraid to come out to church because they know that they sin, and they're not sure if they would be accepted by believers, or even God. I think that God really doesn't calculate how much each of us sin, but accepts the fact that we all live in this world, and are easily tempted to sin. He wants everyone to claim that they are sinners and that, through their relationships with God, they will try to live holy lives. In fact, everyone is deserving of this great gift from God for us to be saved because everyone is a child of God- they were all created with a plan that is unique from that of any other person.

-Denise
dennis
dennis
minion

Number of posts : 204

Back to top Go down

E-L-E-V-E-N Empty Acts chapter 11 devo

Post  Allan Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:27 am

Lol for like a straight hour I was trying to find 5 dollars in accounting (TIME well spent Mad )

The desciples eaxh according to his ability, decided to provide help

I beleive if you have the heart to serve there is place always waiting for you. You don't have to be a good singer, speaker, dancer, whatever. Everyone has their own unique gifts and abilities. If yo truly come with a heart to serve then God will provide. He will give you the chance to serve where you can fully give it your all.

lol claudius

K back to

OH, JOKE OF THE DAY:
"To do is to be." - Socrates
"To be is to do." - Plato
"Do-be-do-be-do." - Frank Sinatra

Mad fail lol
Allan
Allan
Disposable

Number of posts : 314
Birthday : Viet for life
Registration date : 2008-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Isaac Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:40 am

SQUASH IS AWESOME. Its so much fun. i played 2 hours of hardcore squash.

hannah, i skimmed through your "book" :p but ill thoroughly go over it after this but you made some good points.
We all have our own gifts. For instance, i was having dinner with Roh and he said that he didnt like to play bass that much. Me, personally, i love it. Mainly because its not the lead but you ll notice when its not there. Some people, like rohan, allan, and mike, may like to be prominent which is great cause thats what we need.

I like this chapter, its a mile stone for us.
"20Some of them, however, men from Cyprus and Cyrene, went to Antioch and began to speak to Greeks also, telling them the good news about the Lord Jesus. 21The Lord's hand was with them, and a great number of people believed and turned to the Lord."
Sickkkk. They went "an extra mile" and spread the word to Greeks. We should find our "Greeks" in our lives and spread the word too.

Very Happy I have late start/ half day tomorrow, field trip thursday and PA day on Friday. SUCK ON THAT RICHMONDHILL PEOPLE.

E-Sek OUT!
Isaac
Isaac
Admin

Number of posts : 916
Birthday : will you eat my baguette?

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Ha Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:43 am

I thought when they sent the guy to look over at what was happening, that the guy would be a douche (sry.. >_> ) and persecute the Christians, but i'm happy I was wrong =]
This Chapter paralleled last chapter, so I didn't take anything new from it
It was on a much bigger scale though, so it showed me how small things can lead to big things
See you guys on Friday

BTW Hannah, I legitly enjoyed that joke
Michael Ha
Michael Ha
minion

Number of posts : 214
Birthday : in you

Back to top Go down

Post  Steven.Hong Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:51 am

Omg wth
I did the devo but it got deleted....
so hannah I think u called but I was at work
so sorry about that and Thanks for letting me know

Acts 11
There was a lot of things going on in this verse. First people back in the days got to talk to the Holy spirit.
Wouldnt be amazing if we got to talk to the holy spirit or God. That would be amazing!!!!
Also, when I read this the disicples were called christian for the first time. I was really surprise, when i read that. I thought people called them christian but
that was the first time.

-Steven Hong lol!
Steven.Hong
Steven.Hong
minion

Number of posts : 142
Birthday : Inside 8====D~~~~o
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  JacobPk Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:20 am

I agree with what all of you guys said. Joseph what a sexy boy. Now the question is HOW. How can we make it so that people who want to serve can do it with willing and full hearts. How can we make our friends come to church knowing that they wont be judged? Ask God Smile

Sorry guys, i am kind of stressed about our dance (talent show thing ) so i'll rant about it to you guys at practice. i i couldnt even concentrate at reading, i'll post my devo up tomorrow. ahahah
have a good wednesday guys!
JacobPk
JacobPk
Disposable

Number of posts : 458
Birthday : I like men

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:11 am

aww you guys this chapter is so cute
there's finally like a church community going on and like all of you said, it reminded me of our church..
I love how at the end it says that each of the discplies workecd to provide help for the brothers of Judah.. and also people like Barnabus and Saul taught others about Jesus and brought them to the Lord.
This really shows the importance of leadership and of helping your community.. I remember when I was younger and I didn't really do much at church, just kinda came and then went.. But now that I'm serving more I see church in a completly different way, and I'm sure taht you guys feel this way too.
A church can't be a church unless people work together, they serve with willing hearts and do everything in Jesus' name.
So let's rememebr that as a praise team - that we shoudl really be workignt o make our church one that is unified and serving Smile
and i agree, JJ IS THE MAN
Cathy
Cathy
Disposable

Number of posts : 401

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: