Always Worship
Very Happy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Always Worship
Very Happy
Always Worship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LUKELEVEN! (Clever, no?)

+3
JacobPk
dennis
hannahlee
7 posters

Go down

LUKELEVEN! (Clever, no?) Empty LUKELEVEN! (Clever, no?)

Post  hannahlee Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:52 pm

FIRST POST!
Haven't done this in an eternity!

School smells. I'm excited for Friday. Very excited.

Luke 11

9 “And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. 10 For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened.

Persistence. I found it neat that Jesus told them to constantly keep asking. It makes me feel like there's even more freedom that God's granted us, even beyond the gift of choice. And I love the comparison afterwards, to how we sinners would want the best for our children, and how much better we should envision the Almighty God's gifts to us. Maybe I interpreted it differently, but to me, it reminded me of how some Christians feel uncomfortably bound to something - they feel that since God has a plan for them, they're obligated to something they don't want. But this verse made me more comfortable in recognizing that, while God has had a vision for us before our conception, He's still a God that wants to see His children happy. And maybe this is completely wrong, but maybe there's a chance that God's a God that's open to suggestions, too. My two cents.

33 “No one lights a lamp and then hides it or puts it under a basket.[k] Instead, a lamp is placed on a stand, where its light can be seen by all who enter the house.

34 “Your eye is a lamp that provides light for your body. When your eye is good, your whole body is filled with light. But when it is bad, your body is filled with darkness. 35 Make sure that the light you think you have is not actually darkness. 36 If you are filled with light, with no dark corners, then your whole life will be radiant, as though a floodlight were filling you with light.”

That's such a beautiful vision. For every bit of our lives to be so radiant and transparent. And I think that growing up, I always interpreted verses like this to mean that I had to flail my Bible around with me, and spurt out verses to everyone I saw, but now I interpret it as also challenging myself to live out my beliefs. Because it's not enough to know the word and just keep it in my heart - that would make me comparable to a Pharisee. I need to be the one that shares it with the world. I want to be radiant as though a floodlight was filling me with light! That's epic and awesome. So I'm gonna challenge myself even more this year, to take my devos and find practical everyday applications for them, so I can do, do, do!

- H
hannahlee
hannahlee
minion

Number of posts : 219
Birthday : how tall? CN tower tall...
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

LUKELEVEN! (Clever, no?) Empty Re: LUKELEVEN! (Clever, no?)

Post  dennis Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:49 pm

Luke 11

From verse 2 to 4 is the Lord's prayer. When I was reading this particular part of the chapter, I found myself skipping to the fifth verse because I knew what the Lord's prayer was. But I actually didn't. When we say it on Sundays, I let the words fall out of my mouth without really knowing what the prayer actually means. So, today, I went back and read it carefully. It starts with "Father" to show our intimate relationship with God. Then, the prayer praises God for being with us always and blessing us (daily bread). From there, there is repentance and a request to God so that we'd learn how to forgive other people. It hit me today that people assume that God can forgive us easily and that we can take a little bit of time before forgiving others (don't know if that makes sense). What I mean is that, sometimes, we believe that it's easier for God to forgive us than for us to forgive others. Ultimately, the one thing about God that allows Him to give us a fresh start is His love.

v.34 "Your eye is the lamp of your body. When your eyes are good, your whole body also is full of light. But when they are bad, your body also is full of darkness."
When I read this verse, I wondered which of the five sense I wouldn't be able to give up if there was some monster forcing me to make that choice. After much consideration, I decided that I would never be able to give up my sight. Not being able to see what my family, friends, buildings, and the outside environment (like nature) look like would be depressing. I think Jesus felt the same way- he considered our eyes to be the most important, guiding part of our body. When we "see" believers acting in selfless ways, we know that it's through God that they are able to be so loving. I hope that we can let our eyes see the good in other people so that we would be able to imitate that, and also recognize the sins that we carry in order to ask for forgiveness.
dennis
dennis
minion

Number of posts : 204

Back to top Go down

Post  JacobPk Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:23 am

I agree with what you both said. clap clap.
We can only ask if we pray to God. I find that prayer is just an essential part of our walk with God. Prayer should be happening all the time. Like i always feel more confident or pumped after i pray before going to service, and theres somethign about prayer that you can't describe, but you can feel it. Lets keep praying guys, i can't stress this enough, "If praying is the one thing that allows to communicate with God, wouldn't you communicate more?"
Also in verse 13 it says " So if you sinful people know how to give gifts to yoru children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those whowho ask Him." All we need to do is ask, and he'll provide. Also, something that is relevant to this is that we need to be humble and giving, so that the next generation will also do the same. Sam always pays for food without asking anything in return and the only thing he says is "Do the same." When we have an example to look up to, we will also try to follow. WHen we follow we are also able to lead. I' not only talking about giving and humility, but in general.
I think a leader is not someone who only leads, but serves and follows aswell. How can you lead if you can't follow right? So i want us to become not only leaders that do the outside work, but spiritual leaders, things you can't see fomr the outside.
" Lead, Serve, Follow."

V. 35. Make sure that the light you think you have is not actually darkness. I have seen people who THINK they are filled with Jesus, until they realize the bigger picture for them. Guys like Terry, i remember him telling me " I will never turn away from God, because of what i know."
Look at him now, looking for answers. It troubles me to see someone who was so enthousiastic about Christianity just fall down. Same scenario with Jeemin. So remember guys, THINK FOR YOURSELF as well, tahst really important. Just because Roh or Steven feels one way, it doesn't mean its right and we should copy. If Everyone is praying out loud, it doesn't mean you HAVE to aswell, you may be put into an awkward situation, but you're not being real to yourself if you copy. I'm going to be realistic here, almost every Christian is SPOON-FED. A pastor is saying this and that so therefore he MUST be right! We all grow up thinking this way, because of the environment we live or grow up in. We are satisfied at the end of each retreat just because we're spiritually high. Shouldn't it make more sense to do more research if you want to seek God more? and more importantly ON YOUR OWN? ahaha i'm not bashing or anything, i'm just saying we should reassure ourselves before we lead, because it can become a hazardous event later on. SO relating back to the verse, MAKE sure... and don't be pampered. DO your own research and what not to justify what you're looking for. that is all Smile
JacobPk
JacobPk
Disposable

Number of posts : 458
Birthday : I like men

Back to top Go down

Post  Roh Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:07 am

Hey guys! Sorry I didn't post mine yesterday. Nothing flashed out, so I'm going to combine Luke 10 & 11 in this post. Once again, sorry for the slacking, but I will keep up! Hope all of you guys have been enjoying your devos and learning a lot from it! If you guys have any questions don't hesitate to call me, or if you're too shy to call, email, and I'll get back to you ASAP.

Luke 10 & 11

Jesus once again reminded us of our duties on this planet. That it is not merely to enjoy everything that God has made for us and given us. Remember that just because you can wake up on a bed and listen to your mom nag in the morning, it doesn't mean that those things were "freely" given by God. There are always reasons to everything that happens to you and everything that you have. We shouldn't take anything for granted and always have a thankful heart. Sure, it's not the normal thing to wake up in the morning, walk to your mom and say, "thanks for being my mother" every day. But show it through your actions. Jesus told us, "The harvest is great, but the workers are few. So pray to the Lord who is in charge of the harvest; ask Him to send more workers into His fields. Now go, and remember that I am sending you out as lambs among wolves." God sent you here for a great purpose. Don't waste it! Also, it's kind of sad because even among the works of God, I don't know what percentage of those people would be fully committed and really just into doing their jobs for the Lord at all times. So like I said before, let's represent Christ, and not just Christ, let's represent Christians among Christians! Stand out, and remember to ALWAYS WORSHIP.

Jesus also taught how to pray and gave us a "sample prayer". If you haven't noticed, this is the Lord's Prayer that we recite every Sunday after service, but just in a different version. If you haven't had the chance to read it, I'm going to post it again:

"Father, may Your name be kept holy.
May Your Kingdom come soon.
Give us each day the food we need,
and forgive us out sins,
as we forgive those who sin against us.
And don't let us yield to temptation."

Covers a lot, I think. I like how it starts off with what the purpose of all our daily actions and words should be -- that His name would be kept HOLY in all that we do! I think that is the idea of "always worship", that we're keeping God's name holy through all that we do and say. And I like how we ask for the "daily bread", not "the excessive amounts of money and fame". Keeps us humble by asking for forgiveness and asking for help against temptation. Inspiring.

Another thing he assures us about prayer is that our prayers will always be answered, no matter what. In chapter 10, verse 9-10, Jesus said, "And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened."

Remember to always have faith in the Lord and ask! He cares and He's listening.

ALWAYS WORSHIP.

Roh
Roh
Roh
Admin

Number of posts : 147

https://milal.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Isaac Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:19 am

hey guys! pretty exhausted today... my family adopted an abandoned cat... its so cute ill post pics later. I had to keep and eye on him cause he was peeing everywhere... but i named him Olias and olly for short.

the 6 woe part i got a lot of. A lot of the time, we are pharisees too. Like sometimes when i feel "Jesus Like" ill mentally look down on "sinners" much like the pharisees but reading this chapter felt like Jesus was talking to me directly.... it was nice to read.

Anywho excited for friday? very...

E-Sek OUT!
Isaac
Isaac
Admin

Number of posts : 916
Birthday : will you eat my baguette?

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:30 am

Hey guysss

LUKE 11:
The Lord's Prayer! I totally agree with you Denise, I found myself skipping lines too because I was like. Ohh well I already know it. Jesus gave us this prayer as a blessing: he gave it to us so that we can know how to pray, and be able to pray a prayer that is sort of like a gift to us from Jesus. But unfortunately, it has become routine to many of us. LIke Denise said, when we say it at church it sort of just comes out of my mouth without me acutally think about it. And we take it for granted, we don't think about the meaning of the words so we're not actually praying - we're just repeating words. ANd this is definetly something that we need to change! Routine can be such a dangerous thing - so next week let's really take the time to think about the words while we say them. I remember in Grade 9 my math teacher alwyas started off the class with a prayer: and there was this one that she printed out and handed out to all of us, and I really fell in love with it because it was a twist on the Our Father. The prayer takes each important word or verse of the prayer, and relates it to how we should apply it to our own lives and reflect on how well we are living out God's will for us. I looked it up and here it is;

I cannot say "OUR" if I have no room in my life for others and their needs.
I cannot say"FATHER" if I do not demonstrate this relationship in my daily living.
I cannot say"WHO ART IN HEAVEN" if all my interests and pursuits are in earthly things.
I cannot say"HALLOWED BE THY NAME" if I, who am called to bear His name, am not holy.
I cannot say"THY KINGDOM COME" if I am unwilling to give up my own sovereignty and accept the righteous reign of God.
I cannot say"THY WILL BE DONE" if I am unwilling or resentful of having God's will in my life.
I cannot say "ON EARTH AS IT IS IN HEAVEN" unless I am truly ready to give myself to His service here and now.
I cannot say "GIVE US THIS DAY OUR DAILY BREAD" without expending honest effort for it, or by ignoring the genuine needs of others.
I cannot say "FORGIVE US OUR TRESPASSES AS WE FORGIVE THOSE WHO TRESPASS AGAINST US" if I continue to harbor a grudge against anyone.
I cannot say"LEAD US NOT INTO TEMPTATION" if I deliberately choose to remain in a situation where I am likely to be tempted.
I cannot say"DELIVER US FROM EVIL" if I am not prepared to fight in the spiritual realm with the ultimate weapon of prayer.
I cannot say"THINE IS THE KINGDOM" if I do not give the kind of disciplined obedience of a loyal subject.
I cannot say"THINE IS THE POWER" if I fear what my neighbours may say or do.
I cannot say"FOREVER" if I am too anxious about each day's events. I
cannot say"AMEN" unless I can honestly say, "cos
t what it may, this is my prayer."

Hope you guys like it! Smile

Also
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 10For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened. "
This verse really demonstrates how much God blesses us and how much he WANTS to bless us, nurture us and comofort us. You know how sometimes you come home from school and you've had a really long day and umma does something like makes you a cup of hot chocolate or makes this big hot meal, or says encouraging words? Or when your dad gets up early to shovel the driveway just so you can go to church/school or whatever. And things like that are examples of parental love: our parents are always nurturing, always wanting to give to us. And Jesus says, if this is the kind of love that our earthly parents give: then how much greater are the gifts from God? And this just really reminded me of the parental love of our Father in heaven. Ofcourse, Jesus doesn't mean that our prayers should consist of only 'I WANT THIS I WANT THIS I WANT THIS'. But Jesus tells us not to have FEAR when we ask for things: for they will b e given. Just as we know that God can move mountains, he can give us the things that seek - he wants to continually overflow us with his blessings. Mann what a GENEROUS LOVING GOD!
Let us go to God more often, with whatever struggles or pains that we may have with the FAITH that he will bless us - give us comfort and whatever we need to get through certain things.

Have a wonderful wednesday!
Cathy
Cathy
Disposable

Number of posts : 401

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Ha Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:50 am

Yo.. we are part of an epic battle that's been going on since the beginning of Time..
GT and GB Squadrons of God Forces.. assemble!
BTW, I'm not a geek and I'm not stupid lol

I really think that all the customs people made to worship God is really stupid.
Not only does it turn people away from God because they don't want to commit to some of the ridiculous acts and things (these things make worshiping God/Christianity look sooooo fake, at least that's what I thought before), but they're also made up by the Pharisees to scorn others for not following them, and to seem holy to others.
Basically the Pharisees made these to differentiate themselves from others by being "better" worshipers.
It's all about loving God, so fulfilling the acts and stuff shouldn't matter.
Michael Ha
Michael Ha
minion

Number of posts : 214
Birthday : in you

Back to top Go down

Post  Roh Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:56 pm

haha Michael, who is that a picture of?
So creepy!
Roh
Roh
Admin

Number of posts : 147

https://milal.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Ha Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:45 am

I know Wink
Michael Ha
Michael Ha
minion

Number of posts : 214
Birthday : in you

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down