Always Worship
Very Happy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Always Worship
Very Happy
Always Worship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

feb 28

3 posters

Go down

feb 28 Empty feb 28

Post  Kevin Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:47 am

Hebrews 11:1
1 Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.

Dictionaries usually define conviction as a fixed or strong belief. Conviction is really much more than that. Your convictions include your values, commitments, and motivations.

I like the definition of conviction I once heard from the great Bible teacher Howard Hendricks: "A belief is something you will argue about. A conviction is something you will die for!"

Our convictions determine our conduct. They motivate us to act in certain ways.

When you first become a Christian you often do things simply because other Christians around you suggest them or model them. You may pray, read the Bible and attend services because you see the examples of others.

This is fine for a new Christian. Little children learn the same way. However, as you grow, you must eventually develop your own reasons for doing what you do. Those reasons become convictions.

Biblical convictions are essential for spiritual growth and maturity. What is ironic today is that people often have strong convictions about weak issues (football, fashions, etc.) while having weak convictions about major issues (what is right and what is wrong).

Think about your walk with Jesus and make a list of the convictions you now hold. Are your convictions weak on any major issues?
Kevin
Kevin
Perfection

Number of posts : 903
Birthday : i'm an orphan
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

feb 28 Empty Re: feb 28

Post  jaake kwon Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:17 pm

I really don't know what to gather from today's devo, so I'll just stick with reading all of your guys'.

Happy posting!
jaake kwon
jaake kwon
Disposable

Number of posts : 338
Birthday : 7.21
Registration date : 2011-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:21 am

Great passage haaaa

The main point was that we must establish our own convictions, because we are of that maturity at this stage in our lives.
However these are really deep things that can't be seen as lightly.
We must direct our focus to the bigger picture, rather than things that are really just irrelevant to our main well being.
I liked how it was pointed out the question, are our convictions weak on major issues?
Most of us, probably have strong convictions on minor issues, and weaker ones on the major ones.
Personally, I find that it''s because I haven't put the time and effort.
I haven't really sat down and THOUGHT for a long time about what I deem as a major issue in my life.
Time and effort is our duty. God will do the rest.
Kevin
Kevin
Perfection

Number of posts : 903
Birthday : i'm an orphan
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Esther Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:29 am

Holy macaroni, it has been way too long since my last post.
Sorry about that, guys. Juggling life and school has been tough, lately. But honestly, not doing devos have taken a bigger toll on my life than not doing them, I'd say.
AND I'M BACK AT IT NOW! cheers

Convictions. What a good time to read about them, considering I just finished learning about ethics and morality in my philo class!
They definitely won't be the same as others but as we grow in our faith, we've begun to learn about our own convictions.
It's not easy to take the time to figure out what you would die for because until we're in that position, it's difficult to decide if something is worth your life.
But when you do think you know them, you'll find that acting on these convictions helps bring you even closer to God!
I suppose you could also, through knowing your convictions, find out what God really wants you to do on this earth.

note-to-self (and you guys): make your faith in God, a conviction!
Esther
Esther
Disposable

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2011-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum