Always Worship
Very Happy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Always Worship
Very Happy
Always Worship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

dec 19

+5
josephpaik
jaake kwon
James
Sarah Oh
Kevin
9 posters

Go down

dec 19 Empty dec 19

Post  Kevin Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:33 am

Deuteronomy 15:10-11
10 Give generously to the poor, not grudgingly, for the Lord your God will bless you in everything you do.
11 There will always be some in the land who are poor. That is why I am commanding you to share freely with the poor and with other Israelites in need.

Have you ever played the game "I've never"? It's a fun game to play at camp, at youth group meetings, or when a bunch of friends just get together. Here's how it's played: Someone makes a statement beginning with the words "I've never." Anyone who has done or experienced what the speaker says must stand. Then someone else makes another "I've never" statement, and the others must admit whether they've done such a thing by standing or sitting. The game ends when only one person is left sitting (or when everyone in the room turns eighty, whichever comes first). How about playing a quick version of "I've never" right now? See if you could truthfully make any of the statements below: "I've never given my parents a Mother's Day or Father's Day gift." "I've never put any of my own money in a Salvation Army Christmas kettle." "I've never shared my favorite toys with other kids." "I've never bought something to share with someone else." "I've never volunteered my time to help a person or group." "I've never offered a favorite article of clothing to a friend." "I've never given a gift without expecting to get a gift in return." "I've never surprised anyone with a sincere compliment." "I've never visited anyone in a nursing home." "I've never put my own money in the offering plate at church." How many are true? Four? Five? Nine? Ten? In case you haven't noticed, all the "I've never" statements were about generosity. If all ten are true, you really need to work on showing generosity to others. If only one or two are true, you deserve a halo. Maybe those things don't seem like a big deal to you. After all, a lot of people probably go through their whole lives without ever giving away clothes or tossing money into a Salvation Army kettle. But that doesn't mean generosity isn't important. It is. That's why God commanded it. God says, "Give freely without begrudging it... share your resources freely with the poor and with [others] in need" (Deuteronomy 15:10-11). He commands us to be generous, not only because it helps others, but also because it's the right thing to do.

REFLECT: Are you usually generous with: money, time, possessions, toys, attention, or kind words? Can you be more generous in any of those areas?

ACT: Pick one of the "I've never" statements that you checked, and do it this week!

PRAY: "God, I need your help being generous with..."
Kevin
Kevin
Perfection

Number of posts : 903
Birthday : i'm an orphan
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

dec 19 Empty Re: dec 19

Post  Sarah Oh Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:53 pm

10 "Give generously to the poor, not grudgingly, for the Lord your God will bless you in everything you do."

God blessed you with certain talents, or riches so that you could use it to help others. He didn't give it to you so you can brag about it and then be greedy with it. During bible study, Jina was talking about how God specifically chose us to be messengers to those who don't know God. Using what we have, we should be helping everyone with all of our strength.
Sarah Oh
Sarah Oh
minion

Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  James Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:18 am

Ain't it never have I ever?... AHA
I've always found that it doesn't really seem like a good deed when there isn't any willingness or any thought put into it.
Sure, when you'd have loose change, just toss it into the box. But it wouldn't fulfil that same purpose of maybe cutting half your lunch money to help pay for a school in a third world country.
It's truly the sacrifice which shapes generosity, the warm touchy feeling of giving something away, regardless of your stomach growling constantly throughout class.
It's like giving away money when you truly want it for your own benefits, and giving away an umbrella when its pouring, not when it's sunny.
James
James
Disposable

Number of posts : 411
Birthday : No one cares about my birthday. I like kids.
Registration date : 2011-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post  jaake kwon Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:20 am

I think what's really the underlining detail here is "do it because you want to"

Jesus teaches alot about Charity, and giving. I think something thaat's hard and has always been hard is how we can't really 'want' to give away the things we have. We like to get more from making investments into things. But for us to SEE what we're profiting from the investments we make in God's will, I think that really underlines a real definition of charity. Also, I think back to the "Second greatest commandment from God"; treat your neighbor as you would yourself. So it's an order see ourselves all as equals. It's hard to look at ourselves and a homeless person or a rich millionaire like Robert DeNiro on a similar scale.

World vision, yo. crazy hard thing to do.
jaake kwon
jaake kwon
Disposable

Number of posts : 338
Birthday : 7.21
Registration date : 2011-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post  josephpaik Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:32 am

10 Give generously to the poor, not grudgingly, for the Lord your God will bless you in everything you do.

The verse speaks for itself.... do not be greedy with your possessions.. share them and enjoy them with others. I ususally am generous with things that i have a lot more of... but when it comes to things that i have limited amounts of... i hesitate to spread and generously give others that one thing. Thats my problem.... i could be a lot more generous witht he things that i do not possess often. Even though it hurts me... i would much rather see those who are in more need of it to be happy over me. If you do give everything you have... God will repay you back with even more blessings and with a genuine heart. Never doubt God and never be afraid to give give give!
josephpaik
josephpaik
Disposable

Number of posts : 347
Registration date : 2011-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Christine Kim Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:19 pm

God has given us many different talents and traits that we are to give to others so that they may pass it on to the people they come across as well. it is sort of like a chain reaction, showing someone kindess can fill them up with happiness to show another person kindness and it goes on. we shouldnt feel the NEED to give to others because that is giving grudgingly as the verse had said. we should give with a heart filled with meaning and the want to give to the poor or others in general. it is hard to give to others with a want to give. i tend to give to others with a lot of hesitation and reluctance at first because i always doubt that the person i am giving to will take it in well and will just backstab me or something. but i pray that God will transform that mind into one of pureness and the want to give to others and be generous to them.
Christine Kim
Christine Kim
minion

Number of posts : 186

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa Ta Rick Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:05 am

this verse stood out to me. i remember someone saying give until it hurts, that is being generous or somethign along those lines. Being generous isnt giving $10 to someone if you have $1000.just because your giving someone somthing, doesnt mean your generous. Being generous would be when your giving because you want to give and not because you were forced to.
Pa Ta Rick
Pa Ta Rick
Admin

Number of posts : 409
Birthday : Snitching Since 1945. I'm a monk.

Back to top Go down

Post  Audrey Jong Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:35 am

It is normal for us to be hesitant when being generous. Some thoughts run through your head as we make a decision: "how does this help me?"
we must avoid those kinds of thoughts and continue to give and share generously. Do not worry or do things for the sake of the things you will recieve in return because god knows!
He appreciates all the good things we have done, all the things we do with our heart.

~Audrey~
Audrey Jong
Audrey Jong
Disposable

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Esther Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:22 am

I dont know about you guys but I'm pretty stingy when it comes to certain situations and people.
Obviously, you'll blow some cash on your closest friends but when it comes to the unknown and poor, would you still do the same?

But it's pretty evident from this weeks devos that money isn't going to make you happy, it isn't going to live a more fulfilled life and it won't be around as long as God.
So lets try to be humble and generous with our earnings!!
Esther
Esther
Disposable

Number of posts : 368
Registration date : 2011-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:14 pm

Like a bunch of you
This is what stuck out to me
From my experience, most of my pastors tend to buy dinner and such for their students
They don't have a problem with it because it's their desire that we do the same, for the next generation
Giving to the poor always has a positive outcome, im sure the pastors had a vision in doing things like buying their students
When we give, we should give with the right heart, sometimes it's hard, but if we can't give small things to the poor
How can we give big things to God?
Kevin
Kevin
Perfection

Number of posts : 903
Birthday : i'm an orphan
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down