Always Worship
Very Happy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Always Worship
Very Happy
Always Worship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nov 1

+4
Pa Ta Rick
Sarah Oh
jaake kwon
Kevin
8 posters

Go down

Nov 1  Empty Nov 1

Post  Kevin Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:25 am

Acts 4:36-37
36 For instance, there was Joseph, the one the apostles nicknamed Barnabas (which means “Son of Encouragement”). He was from the tribe of Levi and came from the island of Cyprus.
37 He sold a field he owned and brought the money to the apostles.

It's April Fool's Day-time for twenty-four hours of nonstop pranks, plots, and practical jokes. There are the typical gags like "Your shoe's untied!" and-a favorite of brothers everywhere-'There's a spider crawling up your back!" Then there are the more elaborate schemes, usually created by adults to try to "pull a fast one" on one of their friends. Take, for example, the two attorneys who take turns mailing each other the same sack of rotten, smelly garbage every year on April Fool's day. The joke is in coming up with creative ways to have it delivered so the other person has to accept the package. Does God have a problem with April Fool's Day? Probably not. After all, God doesn't mind us having fun-he likes it when we laugh and play. Of course, he's probably not happy when practical jokes become mean or destructive. But a joke is a joke. Kidding can be fun. The problem is, some people play "April Fool" every day. They say something cruel and then add, "Just kidding." Or they get caught in a lie and say, "I was only fooling." They don't seem to understand-or they don't want to admit-that there's a difference between kidding and lying. Kidding and joking are intended to produce fun and laughter. But lying is intended to hurt or to deceive another person. These words from Scripture explain it well: "Like a madman shooting firebrands or deadly arrows is a man whom deceives his neighbor and says, 'I was only joking!'" (Proverbs 26:18-19, NIV). When you try to make someone believe something that isn't true, you're not only lying to that person, you're also sinning against God. And no matter who you may fool, you'll never fool God; he knows whether you're kidding-or lying. So have fun on this April Fool's Day, but don't lie!

REFLECT: Look back at today's Bible reading (Acts 4:36-5:5). What do you think Ananias hoped to gain through his lie? Did it work? What kinds of jokes do you play on April Fool's Day? Are there any that shouldn't be part of your bag of tricks?

PRAY: "Lord, you are truth, and there is no deception in you. Help me to follow your ways closely."
Kevin
Kevin
Perfection

Number of posts : 903
Birthday : i'm an orphan
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Nov 1  Empty Re: Nov 1

Post  jaake kwon Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:47 pm

I really can't tell how to take the message today.

I think I'm not feeling too well right now. Everything in my head feels like a haze...
Sorry guys. I think this just might be one of those off-days wheere you can't do much. I pray that it's not like this on your sides.
jaake kwon
jaake kwon
Disposable

Number of posts : 338
Birthday : 7.21
Registration date : 2011-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Oh Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:08 pm

Wow already November!
Lately, the messages from the devos that I have been getting are so simple for me, while everyone else's are so profound xD
So I apologize that my devos are so short and boring!

I looked at the story of Ananias and his wife, Sapphira. Pretty intense!
I don't think we would die like them if we lied, but their story could represent how deadly and sinful lying is!
Think about how many times you have lied in your life! A lot? Yea me too. Even little lies. Or those stupid fibs you regret so much Razz
Although we won't completely just drop dead, our relationship with God dies a little when we lie. It makes us farther from Christ, and closer to Satan!

Sarah Oh
Sarah Oh
minion

Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa Ta Rick Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:37 am

=) birthday in a week or soooo

what i got from this short story and verse is that we usually cover up for our mistakes. For example, something may slip out of mouths by accident, and instead of apoligizing we may say that it was a joke or something like that. In the short story, it says that we sometimes may take jokes a bit too far and the person getting joked on may have some sour feelings. Our Lord is the truth and we can never lie to him. He will know straight away that we are lying, so we should try to be more self controlled, and when joking its all good but taking it too far is a big no no.
gntie
Pa Ta Rick
Pa Ta Rick
Admin

Number of posts : 409
Birthday : Snitching Since 1945. I'm a monk.
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  DunNo Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:51 am

meanwhile in november, doing a devo about april fools, yay

I didn't get much from this devo.
But like the devo outlines, we should be able to tell the difference from right and wrong even when we're joking and stuff. Even the line between a joke and a lie or insult is very thin, and likewise, discerning right from wrong might be difficult at times, but follow the way that God has set out for you and that is the right path.

ummm... excuse the short devo
DunNo
DunNo
minion

Number of posts : 281
Birthday : I'm Germs, a maggot.
Registration date : 2011-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post  Esther Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:05 am

In terms of joking, I always say that people should be careful when making jokes about others because you never know how a joke could affect someone.
While you might just be kidding, it could actually be hurting the person you've joked about.

And I realize that that isn't exactly what the devo was about but it reminded me of this.
So, just be careful because you may be hurting someone without meaning to!

Esther
Esther
Disposable

Number of posts : 368

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:37 am

April fools?
cool.

Acts 4:36-37
36 For instance, there was Joseph, the one the apostles nicknamed Barnabas (which means “Son of Encouragement”). He was from the tribe of Levi and came from the island of Cyprus.
37 He sold a field he owned and brought the money to the apostles.

The son of ENCOURAGEMENT.
We hear this all the time, as brothers and sisters in christ, we are to build each other up, not tear each other down
As many times as ive heard this, i dont think i fully absorb it.
I still make crude jokes at times with my brothers. And believe me, I don't mean the rude jokes i say.
But I DO understand why it is wrong, and why we should not to do it.
I guess because we're so comfortable with each other, sometimes we get carried away
but like some of you said, we never know just how personal someone else takes it.
Kevin
Kevin
Perfection

Number of posts : 903
Birthday : i'm an orphan
Registration date : 2009-08-17

Back to top Go down

Post  James Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:53 pm

Sorry for not posting this yesterday guys.
There HAVE been times to where I've taken jokes more seriously than others and have made jokes that were hurtful.
This would obviously mean that the joke wasn't practical, only making it a burden to another person rather than sharing a laugh with them.
Long story short, God really wants us to know where to draw the line, not just with jokes, but with our life.
Managing everything, especially incorporating God in our everyday lives.
I definitely struggle with keeping a consistent touch with God.
James
James
Disposable

Number of posts : 411
Birthday : No one cares about my birthday. I like kids.
Registration date : 2011-09-25

Back to top Go down

Post  josephpaik Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:49 am

I used to play april fool jokes without thinking if it could hurt the person im doing it to or not..
Now i realize that you can hurt someone even if you have no intention of hurting them in the first place. Either know and be 100% sure that they will not get hurt or dont do it all..
Thats all i ahve to say... be careful in everything you do.. not only during april fools day. thats what i got from this message.
Not only be careful on april fools day but be careful always. You do not know what people are going through and what they have been through so its always key to be cautious.
josephpaik
josephpaik
Disposable

Number of posts : 347

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum