Perfection

Number of posts : 903
Birthday : i'm an orphan
Registration date : 2009-08-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Romans 13

Post  julian on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:19 pm

I guess I'll be the first to do devos...hahahahaha, I have a gig tomorrow at some hotel near the Metro Convention Centre! Smile So stoked, and I'm getting paid a lot for this one... but the only bad thing is that the gig's from 10:30 PM to 1 AM.... sigh. So I'll have to do tomorrow's devos today as well. Sorry guys!

Submission to the Authorities:

I find this passage really applying to my overall life. I think the gist of it is pretty clear - respect your elders because God made it so. As long as you do right, you won't be punished or judged - if God is commanding us to respect our elders, we should do it. And I mean, I'm sorta stressed a little bit this week, with a whole bunch of things piling up on me, I'll be honest about that. I act somewhat gloomy to my parents and I'm not as close with them as I really should be - and I don't think I respect them the way that I should either. I'm sure they deserve much more, and so does God. God deserves more than anyone else, and to really be submissive is a hard task, at least for us. Pride stands in our way and sometimes, we just feel egotistical to the point where we don't even want to submit to God. But my prayer is that we all submit to those who govern us - who take care of us!

EDIT: I forgot to the other side, hahahahah!

Love, for the Day is Near:

Verse 9 makes this passage so simple. The commandments (as we know...) are summed up in this one rule: love your neighbour as yourself. The best way I would see this is that the following things apply to our lives:

- Do not steal
- Do not lie (bear false testimony)
- Do not covet

These would apply a lot to our friends - true love for our friends would show that we wouldn't do any of these things. We all fail... I mean, it's an obvious statement - but it wouldn't matter as long as we would try our best for God - through verse 14.

- Jules.
julian
minion

Number of posts : 212
Birthday : April 12.
Registration date : 2011-01-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Grace on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:27 pm

1Obey the rulers who have authority over you. Only God can give authority to anyone, and he puts these rulers in their places of power. 2People who oppose the authorities are opposing what God has done, and they will be punished.

woah! this is what Yeni was telling our Ohana group about!
God put certain leaders in charge for a reason. HE is the one who gave them authority, who are we to disrespect them and question their authority when it has been given by God. Like honestly, not gonna lie, my last manager... was a total jerk... but i still gave him my respect.
In our praise team, Kevin is the leader, and we all need to listen to him and give him the same respect as we would give other leaders, age, gender and whatever else aside (like isaac told us last time) . This is REALLY important.

3Rulers are a threat to evil people, not to good people. There is no need to be afraid of the authorities. Just do right, and they will praise you for it. 4After all, they are God's servants, and it is their duty to help you.

They are here to HELP us. They are also God's servants, but they have been sent by God to help guide us.

11You know what sort of times we live in, and so you should live properly. It is time to wake up. You know that the day when we will be saved is nearer now than when we first put our faith in the Lord. 12Night is almost over, and day will soon appear. We must stop behaving as people do in the dark and be ready to live in the light. 13So behave properly, as people do in the day. Don't go to wild parties or get drunk or be vulgar or indecent. Don't quarrel or be jealous. 14Let the Lord Jesus Christ be as near to you as the clothes you wear. Then you won't try to satisfy your selfish desires.

haha long chunk of this chapter... but this also is really important. We are basically being told to WAKE UP! We cant just stay in our day dreams forever, we cant just keep ourselves in the dark, hoping someone will come along to kick us in the butt to get our lives started... but we need to go out and be active Christians NOWWWW! We need to get over ourselves, and all of our selfish desires... whats so important that it could trump God?
It's hard, like a lot of other things in the bible, we are required to act out certain deeds, as members of God's kingdom. We are co-heirs with Christ (the desert song Very Happy), and that means that we are also princes and princesses of heaven. God gave us authority to SERVE Him!!!!

have a good week guys!
i have semi tomorrow... but ill try to do devos early so i dont end up doing them really really late...
gahh, have a law test and accounting test on friday too >.<
Grace
Disposable

Number of posts : 416
Birthday : GB braces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jennifer on Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:39 pm

you know what i noticed?
i noticed that you guys use gist alot after i used it Razz tehe
Everyone must submit to governing authorities. For all authority comes from God, and those in positions of authority have been placed there by God.
i found this verse to really relate to teenagers lives in general. we're always saying how my manager is stupid, that my teacher doesn't know what hes doing, and "im not going to do this because hes rude" etc haha we think that since we dont agree with what our authority says or does, it gives us a right to be rude to them or to act against them. But since God has put them above you on purpose, you must submit to them, and by saying im not going to do that since theyre stupid is like saying God's decision for you is stupid and you know bettter than Him. It might not even be that God thinks that what theyre telling you to do is good for you or will help you to achieve something, maybe it actually is random crud! but He might be trying to build your character by putting you through this kind of situation haha its terribly hard to submit to ridculous teachers or something our parents tell us to do, but really, this is God's will. If he didnt want you to do those things, he wouldve chosen a different authority to put over you.
Also, if you think that they should be "punished" for treating everybody like dirt, then it's not your responsibility to punish them, God has the power and control and will make a way for them to be punished, if that's what God's intention is.
“Love your neighbor as yourself.”
I like how this, like when we talked about being a christian in your heart, and not just saying it, is something you do, and if you do this many other things that are in God's will will come on their own. If you love someone as you love yourself, you wouldnt steal from them, you wouldnt murder them, and you woiuldnt covet. If you love your neighbour as yourself, nothing bad will come out of it, only good. Its fool proof I love you hehe

The last paragraph is kinda scary Shocked it says that salvation is near and to take off our dirty clothing and whatnot and dont participate in worldly evil because he will be here faster than you know it and we have to be ready, or we will be left No scary scary scary! and exciting haaha

have a great tmr guys Smile
I HAVE SEMI TMR TOO GRACE! we shall suffer together hehe Very Happy byee!!
jennifer
Disposable

Number of posts : 304
Birthday : My birthday isnt important :(
Registration date : 2011-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  josephpaik on Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:22 am

you think you're nice Jennifer?

Romans 13

As soon as i read verse 9
The commandments, "Do not commit adultery, Do not murder, Do not steal, Do not covet", and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up to this one rule: "love your neighbor as yourself."
I knew that this verse summed up this whole chapter.

In this verse, it talks about the commandments in life. Commandments are far more greater than the Laws themselves. If unable to follow all commandments, i think what you should do is at least try your best to follow the commandment that all of them follow up into. Love everyone as you love yourself. Enemies, family, friends whoever. Love them.
If you hate yourself... then i pray for you and hope that you will truly realize how valuable life is and if you live your life according to that one commandment, then you will live a great live through a safe and directed passage way to the kingdom of heaven.
josephpaik
Disposable

Number of posts : 347

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:25 am

12 The night is almost gone; the day of salvation will soon be here. So remove your dark deeds like dirty clothes, and put on the shining armor of right living
When I read this passage, I thought, are we ready for the day that Jesus comes? He can come at any point of our lives but I'm constantly thinking about 2 things, when that is ahah, and how will I prepare myself? What I believe the analogy of this passage is that the night is referred to as the time we spend here, and well the day of salvation is the coming of Jesus. Remove your dark deeds like dirty clothes and put on the shining armor of right living. This is something we should all try to do because some things are in our control. Someone told me, stop the doing the things that are within your controls. Such as bad habits that we are capable to just not do, eg, swearing and such. But something more generic, such as COMMITING sin, is not in our control. Little by little, I believe that we can overcome our sins and truly wear an armor of right living.
Kevin
Perfection

Number of posts : 903
Birthday : i'm an orphan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Esther on Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:33 am

4 For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.
Like Grace said, Yeni talked about this is Ohana.
I know there are people who have authority over us, who we completely ignore or are just plain rude to. For example, substitute teachers.
I know we've all been a tad rude to one, whether it was just rolling your eyes, or the occasional spitball. We've all seen it happen, and we rarely do anything but laugh.
I think that in itself, is a test. Can we treat them as we would like to be treated?

Basically, the golden rule. (:
Esther
Disposable

Number of posts : 368

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy Kim on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:14 am

Man, I had 2 Bacon Burgers today and I Actually feel my heart aching... Arg!
This is How a break-up feels like. Man, how am I supposed to study in this condition????

6 This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. 7 Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor.

This explains a lot to me. It basically means to follow the law. The law is there for a reason. If you have to pay taxes, then pay the taxes.. I remember a passage in the bible where Jesus said give Caesar what is his (Money), The money had Caesar's face in it. I know there are some laws that are just very random but the bible says follow those rules. So if showing 3 inches or more of your underwear is illegal (Which is illegal), pull your pants up. breaking the law is sinning also. The law back then were a lot worse compared to how it is now, so if people back then followed the rules, it shouldn't be hard for us to follow it.

8 Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law. 9 The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not covet,”[a] and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”[b] 10 Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

I really like this verse. Basically, loving one another is as important as keeping the law. Love does no harm. I don't know how to further describe this but I think this verse is SOOOO important and we should apply these verses on to our lives.

aha, Jules again. LOL

Billy Kim
Disposable

Number of posts : 345
Birthday : August 4th

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  julian on Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:01 am

Hahahahahahaha, glad you noticed, Billy. Wink
julian