Admin

Number of posts : 916
Birthday : will you eat my baguette?
Registration date : 2008-09-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Romans 2

Post  julian on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:27 pm

Icecream, eh? You and your bizarre posts, Isaac... Razz Hope I get into Queen's! Time to do my PSE soon...

Romans 2:

First paragraph sums up to one word - HYPOCRISY. If you ever study Law, there's something called the RULE OF LAW, where no one's above the law, in any case. I guess it sorta brings us to the same thing. No one should judge because we all fall short of the glory of God. Judgement can only be done by God alone - no one on this planet is perfect. No one is righteous but God.

Verse 7 and 8 basically tell me that if you live for GOD's glory and honour, he gives us eternal life - if you live for yourself (self-seeking), then God's wrath will come. No one said it was easy, also. Just believing in God doesn't do much. I mean, James mentions that faith without deeds is DEAD - it's just as useless if your actions don't tell enough; we're all self-seeking in many ways, whether we WANT certain things to eat, certain clothes to wear, or certain things to do.

There isn't a whole lot I wanted to discuss in terms of verses 12 to 16.

Hypocrisy basically reflects itself from 17 to 25.

I'm guessing that in Jewish times, circumcision was meant to be 'cleansed'... If you understand, good... if you don't, just go by what I'm saying, hahaha. And so, it got practiced by the Jews - basically, it talks about hypocrisy among the cleansed people - a person who isn't clean yet never sins versus the one who is cleaned and still sins is still a law-breaker, no doubt.

I guess that's it? Sorry it's a little short. Sad

- Jules.
julian
minion

Number of posts : 212
Birthday : April 12.
Registration date : 2011-01-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin on Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:37 pm

Hey guys, for some of us, hope your first day back to school was good. ahahah

1 You may think you can condemn such people, but you are just as bad, and you have no excuse! When you say they are wicked and should be punished, you are condemning yourself, for you who judge others do these very same things. 2 And we know that God, in his justice, will punish anyone who does such things. 3 Since you judge others for doing these things, why do you think you can avoid Godís judgment when you do the same things?

A lot of this chapter pretty much spoke about hypocrisy. This passage is ALWAYS a good reminder for each and every one of us, that we are all sinners. We can never judge anyone because we always fall short to the glory of God. Also, we should all keep in mind that no one is a "bigger" sinner than others. I'm sure we all know that we all sin, but we can never say that, this person does "worse" sins than I do. Because in God's eyes, sin is sin, that's it. He doesn't judge someone by the severity of their sins. That said, we are all on the same level with anyone around us, because we all sin. We can't judge others that are on the same level with us, the judging is for God and God alone, so leave that to him ahahha.

In this verse, it also reminded me of humility. This is something that we all need and it's very important. We're all on the praise team and I'm sure that the ministry sees us as some of the leaders of our ministry. But we are definitely not any greater than any single person there. If anything, as leaders, we can put ourselves lower than the people of our ministry. The greatest example of that would be Jesus washing his disciples' feet. That must have been one of the dirtiest jobs because the feet was most unhygienic body part of the people back then because they only wore sandals. So as a praise team setting where people view us as leaders, keep in mind to be humble about what we do and judge no one. Yah, we're on the praise team but we're not big shots, we are HI-C EM, just like the others. Remember, Always be humble!
Kevin
Perfection

Number of posts : 903
Birthday : i'm an orphan
Registration date : 2009-08-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Grace on Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:51 pm

gahhh, tomorrows my last day off before semester two....... great. HAHA
but i hope everyones been having a good week!? and i am really missing all of youssssss !

uhmmm, okay chapter two.. i got a lot out of this chapter, but the main thing was hypocrisy

17Some of you call yourselves Jews. You trust in the Law and take pride in God. 18By reading the Scriptures you learn how God wants you to behave, and you discover what is right. 19You are sure that you are a guide for the blind and a light for all who are in the dark. 20And since there is knowledge and truth in God's Law, you think you can instruct fools and teach young people.
21But how can you teach others when you refuse to learn? You preach that it is wrong to steal. But do you steal? 22You say people should be faithful in marriage. But are you faithful? You hate idols, yet you rob their temples. 23You take pride in the Law, but you disobey the Law and bring shame to God. 24It is just as the Scriptures tell us, "You have made foreigners say insulting things about God."

as members of the praise team, each and every one of us is in a position of leadership. the congregations looks at us differently from the rest. We need to set the right example, a good one. because what we do affects them big time! Who are we to lead them closer to God if we are not setting the right example? Can we really tell them to do QT when we are not consistant? can we tell them to pray more when we dont even take the time to pray to God? It's all connected. Not just for our sakes, but for everyone around us, we need to stay away from being hypocrites.
Act out God's word, don't just say them.
It goes the same whether its at school or anywhere else... what we do reflects on our beliefs. Our relationship with God looks false, if we don't act out what we preach to other people. If anything, we'll have them futher themselves away from God because they think that it's all a lie.

this chapter really gets me when it comes to leadership.
we were chosen by God to lead.
but it makes us no better than the rest.
we're not perfect, but we need to set the example, and be close with God in order to have other people approach God too Smile
Grace
Disposable

Number of posts : 416
Birthday : GB braces

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jennifer on Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:35 am

icecreeaamm!! cheers haha
i hope tomorrows a snow day!!! silent cause i dont wanna go to schooooll!! No
sighh..
OHYEAHHH!! I GOT MY G1 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy did youuuuu kevin?? Razz
tehe anywhoo! on to the devo!
Romans 2
like how all of you said that this chapter was about hipocrisy, i think that too! hehe so im not going to tell you guys what i learned about hipocrisy in this passage, but about the other things ive learned.
5 But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of Godís wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed. 6 God ďwill repay each person according to what they have done.Ē[a] 7 To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life. 8 But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger. 9 There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile; 10 but glory, honor and peace for everyone who does good: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. 11 For God does not show favoritism.
so basically this whole chapter explains how people are so hiporcritical, and shows how easy it is for us humans to say and preach and critisize about the things that we shouldnt do, and then go do them right after.
But in the passage above, it says that people who have tried their best to do things good and with honor in God's eyes, will be blessed with eternal life. It shows how even though it's terribly hard to do so, the grueling work to do good in this world in God's name will pay off when you stand before God and judges you. I thiknk it's like working out. You struggle and sweat and your muscles burrrrnnnn, but in the end, you get fit and healthy Wink kinda. haha. ALSO! really, our time on earth is SOOO SHORT and it wont compare to an eternity in hell or an eternity in heaven. If you "zoom out" and think about it, it's only a short time in which we have to struggle and be ridiculed and persevere to end up with an eternity with God, the ultimate prize. ITS LIKE math Smile you do a bit of homework, you do well on the test; you live a short time and do things in God's honour, you get to spend eternity with Him.
YEPP Very Happy thats all for today!
i hope i hope i hooope its a snow day tomorrow. That would be superly duperly amazing Surprised
hahah anyways!
i hope y'all have a wonderful tomorrow!! see you soon affraid
jennifer
Disposable

Number of posts : 304
Birthday : My birthday isnt important :(
Registration date : 2011-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy Kim on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:00 am

Jennifer, It doesn't matter if you have a licenses or not....
you can't physically anyways. But don't worry, you'll be too busy in to kitchen to
even think about driving anyways. AHAHAHAHAHA jokes jokes. make sure your dad
teaches you how to drive carefully. (Notice how I said your dad not your mom.) aha

Wow, Romans are actually scaring me.

5 But because of your stubbornness and your unrepentant heart, you are storing up wrath against yourself for the day of Godís wrath, when his righteous judgment will be revealed.

I remember once Sam said It doesn't matter if you were a Homosexual, a Murderer, or a person who said a small lie; A sinner's a sinner and all sin is a the same. There are no levels or values to sin, and each sin are worth the same. We are all Sinners and it doesn't matter who sinned more or who sinned less, just because we are tainted with sin we have no right whatsoever to Judge others. God will do all the Judging necessary in the end. We also will be judged for Judging in the end so yea. aha

25 Circumcision has value if you observe the law, but if you break the law, you have become as though you had not been circumcised.

This verse Kinda stuck to me, because it talks about how actions speak louder than words. And this is something that's been bothering me for a while. I had a talk about this with Kevin. We can sing songs like to the ends of the earth and not mean a single thing. If I go to my gf, wait that wouldn't work since I don't have a GF. So If Kevin went to Christine and said I would catch a grenade for ya and when a robber actually goes to her while he was there and let her be shot when he clearly could have saved her life those words have absolutely no meaning to it whatsoever. My point is, when we practice, play in front of the congregation, or even when we're in the congregation, we should have our hearts dedicated to God and show our God that we are actually worshiping and glorifying God. That was kinda what I was trying to say in my last devo.

Well I'm off and have a sick night guys
Billy Kim
Disposable

Number of posts : 345
Birthday : August 4th

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Esther on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:33 pm

Congrats, Jen! (:

Alrighty, getting to the good stufff....

1 You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge another, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.
Everyone makes this mistake on a daily bases. Everyone places others on a certain level. If they don't seem to be as devoted to God as another, we look down upon them. Who are we to judge others based on their journey with God? The only person that's allowed to judge is God, and even HE doesn't.

Also, as leaders of the EM, we have to set an example for congregation because, whether we like it or not, we are looked up to. It's not any good if we go around judging others because people will assume, "Oh, if the praise team can do it, so can we."

4 Or do you show contempt for the riches of his kindness, forbearance and patience, not realizing that Godís kindness is intended to lead you to repentance?
Think for a second. Would you 'repent' to someone you don't look up to? Would you 'repent' to someone who you were completely afraid of or someone who you thought, wouldn't understand? Obviously not.
We feel that we can repent to God because he has authority over us, he's someone we look up to, understanding and fair.

11 For God does not show favoritism.
This DEFINITELY spoke to me. God loves everyone, no matter what you go through, say, feel, see or do. It doesn't matter how much you love him, he still loves you as much as the holiest, most dedicated Christian.

14 Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15a They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts.
Although, this may not apply to Christians as much as people who don't believe in God, this is definitely something to think about. This is one of the reasons we, Christians, have a hard time spotting other Christians out of a crowd of non-believers. Even people who do not believe in God have morals. They know what is fair and just and what is not.

Verses 17 through 24 and Verse 25, 29
We tell others to love God with all their hearts, and to worship God without being embarrassed. What we have to ask ourselves is, don't we also do these things? We've all hid our relationships with God because we were afraid of what another person would say. This whole passage, as you've all said, is focusing on hypocracy. You can't tell people that you're Christian because you go to church, you're on praise team, because you've been on a mission trip. Actions may speak louder than words, but the thoughts behind those actions are what matters most. Say and do what you mean, and mean what you say and do.
Esther
Disposable

Number of posts : 368

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Isaac on Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:51 pm

billy "you cant physically anyways"?
icecream is bomb
i didnt have a snow day, sucks

and keep up the good work guys! Devos are both healthy and fun!
Isaac
Admin

Number of posts : 916
Birthday : will you eat my baguette?
Registration date : 2008-09-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Romans 2

Post  Paul 폴 on Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:04 pm

This is my second devo in total......I am so~ slow. >.<
Sorry~~~ Crying or Very sad

1: You, therefore, have no excuse, you who pass judgment on someone else, for at whatever point you judge the other, you are condemning yourself, because you who pass judgment do the same things.
Okay, this passage really impacts and is forwarding to us 'cause peops don't realize this. Whenever someone blames something at you, they're hypocrites 'cause they have done something in the past that was similar or was the same with the event that happened. I chose this passage 'cause no matter what we do in life, we have done it before in our past life and peops forget about that all the time. I remember when I was young, well, I'm still young right now, but when I was younger, I used to blame everything on someone else, when I knew it was my fault, and everyone would take the blame for it, except for me. Later on, while I was growing with that kind of attitude, my Pastor from my old church read out this passage, well, not this one but something similar to this, and I was shocked about what I grew up with and what kind of guy I became when I was young. So, from then on, every time there was an incident that involved me, I would think about the passage that my Pastor read me and take all the blame for what happened, even if it wasn't my fault, 'cause I know, in the past, that I did something the same thing.

Sorry for being a day late...... Neutral
Paul 폴
minion

Number of posts : 26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DunNo on Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:19 am

Guys... Sorry... I posted last night, but then that thing Isaac talked about in Roman's 3 about the post anyways button... Yeah... and i didnt copy it, so i have to redo it... Sad

So... In Romans 2, I noticed that though most of it was about hypocrisy and how we should act towards God, there were certain places where it implies that we are not the only ones needing help, but that while we are struggling and striving to be more holy, we should also help others and bring them with us, or even go below their standards to push them up.

11 For God does not show favouritism

This verse, though short meant a lot, because it first of all shows that our God is a kind and caring God, but it also teaches the lesson of humility. At that time, God picked a group of people, Jews, to be his instrument and spread his word, but later, they became prideful that god chose them, and looked down on others, though they themselves were not any different. They wrongly perceived God's blessing as God saying that they are the ONLY chosen ones, even when we are all called up to be Gods children. This verse tells us to swallow our pride and step aside for the next person because honestly, you are not anymore special than that person, though in God's eyes we are all precious, so as a praise team, we should never feel pride that we are in the team, but the only pride should be that we can praise God and love him, just as he loved us.

24 As it is written: "Gods name is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you".

This verse struck out for me, because it made me realize how important it is that we set a good example for the congregation to follow. When we mess up as a Christian, we're, above all else, making God look bad. I always looked up to the praise team, and I still do, but if the previous praise team set a bad example as a Christian, unconsciously, I would follow. We are supposed to leave a lasting impression on people's heart about God, but there is no use for us, if that impression is a negative one, rather than a positive one. So I pray that God will give us, and me especially, to act as children of God and set a good example to others.
DunNo
minion

Number of posts : 281
Birthday : I'm Germs, a maggot.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: