Always Worship
Very Happy

Colossians 3!

Go down

Colossians 3!

Post  Roh on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:38 pm

The weather was pretty sick today...I pulled off shorts and sandals for the first time in a week without getting cold...Yeah it was pretty sick. You had to be there.

Anyway.

The first section is titled "Rules for Holy Living", but I'd like to call it "Guidelines to Christlike Characters". I don't like it when I think of my religion as just a set of rules that guilt us to follow. I don't want to read the Bible, feel guilty that I'm doing things wrong or not doing things that God told us to do. I want to read them, and feel inspired to follow his guidance. So I like the fact that this section encourages us to "do" things, rather than "not to" do certain things (exception: there's one section that says Do Not Lie, but that's a given anyway).

Verses 7 and 8 teach us a new way of living, for those that are ready to repent. They guide us from things that harm others and ourselves. And from verse 12 are my favourite verses from this chapter -- sections that tell us to practice GODLY characteristics: "Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience." And even in the next couple of verses, these words are pretty heavy and hold lots of responsibility. It's hard to be compassionate, kindness, humble, gentle, patient, and forgiving all simultaneously. But it would be easier if we practised these things one at a time, perfecting each and every one of these good acts.

Verse 18! Women, know your place. Haha, JUST JOKING. Smile Guys, don't ever learn from what I just said, it's just a joke. Rather, hold the door for your women, pull the chair out for them, and say kind things. Just remember, if you're confused about why this section seems so patriarchal and talks about slaves, just remember that you need to take in anthropological considerations.

So challenges for this week! Practise those "kind" acts one at a time, and try to perfect them. Second, treat the women with lots of respect, starting from your thinking and mindset about them. Start by treating Cathy, Denise, Hannah, and Isaac with lots of respect! This means no making fun and watching out for their sensitivity (for guys too, actually). Isaac's pretty sensitive, so give him some room. Wink

Roh
Roh
Admin

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-09-09

View user profile http://milal.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Colossians 3!

Post  Isaac on Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:52 pm

you suck roh... and by the way, you look like a douche wearing sandals and shorts... thats right.. a douche...
That was uncalled for :p... bastard...
Isaac
Admin

Number of posts : 916
Birthday : will you eat my baguette?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roh on Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:04 pm

Isaac, you're rather cute when you get angry like that Wink
Roh
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Isaac on Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:23 pm

soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo gay.....
Isaac
Admin

Number of posts : 916
Birthday : will you eat my baguette?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Roh on Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:25 pm

so sexy.

OKAY PEOPLE.

we're gonna focus back onto the Bible Study......

NOW.
Roh
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  hannahlee on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:24 pm

IN-APPROPRIATE.

Today I was over at my vocal teacher's house for a lesson and played with her kids for a bit as they watched "The Lion King". It was that scene where Simba comes to rescue his lion-folk from Pride Rock and he sees Scar slap his mother, and he leaps out, and they're like, "MUFASA? I thought you were dead!" Anyways, it pulled some emotional heartstrings. You know, Disney movies obligate you to invest so much of yourself into them, seriously. Yup. Hahaha.

Colossians 3
I'm really shaping up to like Colossians because I feel like it's going back to basics, in a sense. I mean, I think if I were a non-believer and read this, I might be prone to interpreting it the wrong way, getting the impression that Christianity is a composite of more rules than any kind of relationship, BUT - within our contexts, I think the verses serve as great reminders of how we can achieve a greater likeliness to Christ. It's like, you've already accepted Christ and love him as your Lord and Saviour, now what's next, you know? What more can we do? And Colossians has thus far, offered puh-retty wise words in this department.
I don't know if anybody else felt this, but I like how Paul writes v4. "When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.", and then follows it with a "Therefore, put to death whatever belongs to your earthly nature.", before listing off all these kinds of sin. The "therefore" makes it almost like a natural course of action that occurs, after Christ becomes you. So that stood out to me. And lastly...haha..
v.12 "Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience."
A jam-packed verse with a heavy calling, but I like this metaphor. As Christians, sometimes the best thing we can do to reach out is to show the love of Christ through our actions. So I want to challenge us to clothe ourselves with these characteristics, little by little, wearing them on our sleeves!

LAST DAY OF SCHOOL TOMORROW. My condolences for those of you who cannot be so fortunate Smile
That was a bit mean. Sorry, guys. Hahaha.

- Hannah
hannahlee
minion

Number of posts : 219
Birthday : how tall? CN tower tall...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down