Always Worship
Very Happy

LALALALALA

Go down

LALALALALA

Post  Cathy on Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:34 pm

Hey everyone.. I must have read Romans like. 4 times now in the years I've been a Christian. But it seems so different everytime. hahah whether my memory SUCKS or God is speaking to us in a different way each time. Hopefully the latter!

Romans 4: In this chapter, Paul uses Abraham as a great example of the message that we are saved by faith, and not works. Funny, because one would think that since Abraham is from the old school days of the Old Testament, that this message wouldnt apply to him. But it totally does in so many ways, and it shows that God has always valued faith above anything else. Because Abraham was always so faithful and trusting in God, God credited him righteousness. This whole chapter was about God 'crediting us righteousness'. Although many people think that we become righteous through the good deeds that we do, righteousness is really more like a gift given to us by the grace of God as a result of our faith. We don't really earn it in the same way that we work and earn money. But God grants it to us for being faithful.
"14For if those who live by law are heirs, faith has no value and the promise is worthless, 15because law brings wrath"
This verse explains why simply living by the law doesnt work: because if Chrsitianity is a religion based on law, then it sort of becomes like a crime-and-punishment kind of thing, much like the way the criminal court works. hahah. If we follow the law, no trouble. But breaking the law = God police --> Jesus the judge --> Condemnation to jail hell. But God doesnt want it to be like that becuase it just results in God pouring out his wrath on us. But God wants a relationship : with faith and a promise, in which we as sinners and God as the perfect being are held together by this intimate relationship where we worship God and serve him because of the grace that he gives us. Christianity is not a binding religion of laws and rules. Yesterday me and my severely atheist friend got on the topic of religion. And he weas sort of bashing all religious people because he was saying "What gives them the right to tell me how I should live my life? To tell me what's wrong and what's not? I should be able to do whatever I want. I don't wanna live by those rules".. And this is where we really see the misconceptions. Christianity is different from other religions in this way, because we are not bound by the law like other religions. Instead we stress a personal relationship with God - and it is through this relationship that God gives us righteousness, and through his example, stirs in us the will to do good. It starts from the inside out Smile

I'm in a ROCKING MOOD today.. Hope all of you are too (even though Isaac's text proved otherwise)
Praise team, Ill see you tmrw, im PUMPED.
Cathy
Disposable

Number of posts : 401
Registration date : 2008-09-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: LALALALALA

Post  hannahlee on Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:10 pm

From the iiiiiinsiiiiiide outttttt! (Cathy's post)

ROMANS 4

Abraham's a beast. In a good way, hahaha.

I like how this chapter continues to drive the point home that it is not our law-abiding but our FAITH that will grant us righteousness.
I feel like some people might interpret that as, "so it's one or the other that I have to focus on, and it should be faith", but we fail to understand that when we have faith, our desire to obey the law will come as the most natural response. If you have true faith in God, why wouldn't you believe that all of His decrees were put in place with a wisdom we can't fathom, and that there's a point to them?

I also like how circumcision is brought up, because in these times, that physical action was indicative of your spirituality, or so the people thought. But Paul says that so long as one has faith, that's all that really matters. Abraham only got circumcised afterwards, and Paul says that even those that were circumcised are found righteous before God, only if they practice faith. To draw a comparison in today's terms, maybe it's the false belief that one is saved only if they go to church every Sunday. But that's not true, so long as the person practices faith, faith, faith.

Over the past couple days, these chapters have helped re-affirm the fact that, as leaders, keeping ourselves in check spiritually, is the most important thing before we can even think about serving. We can come up with great ideas and things to carry out in our ministry, but it amounts to nothing without faith. Furthermore, if we keep our faith strong first, then the right steps to take will naturally follow. The Spirit will guide us and we'll just know what to do. So let's keep this up guys! FIGHTING! Very Happy Love us.

But ya gotta have faith-a, faith-a, faith!

- H
hannahlee
minion

Number of posts : 219
Birthday : how tall? CN tower tall...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Joseph on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:35 pm

HaHaHa, cathy same with me, when i read the same verse or chapter over and over i get a different meaning to it....
Hannah brings out a good point about how our faith will grant us righteousness, not law...

So this is what i learned in Romans 4, it says

"David says, the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the man to whom God credits righteousness apart from works. "Blessed are they whose transgressions are forgiven, whos sins are covered. Blessed is the man whos sin the Lord will never count against him."

So in this verse, i think God is telling us that he does not continue to credit unrighteousness to the sinners who repent, but the Lord forgives them when they confess. It also says that he will bless those who transgressions and forgiven, whose sins are coverd. So what there trying to say is that once Jesus is crucified, he will bring blessing to every one of you.

"It is not through law that Abraham and his offspring recieved the promise that he would be heir of the world, but through the righteousness that come by faith. For if those who lives by law are heirs, faith has no value and the promise is worthless, because law brings wrath, and when there is no law there is no transgression."

Yes hannah, Abraham is on fire. anyways, so this verse it talks about faith and law. It says that the righteousness comes from faith and not by law. Faith is a really strong word. Many of us have faith, meaning trust, believe, etc. God mentions that faith is the way, because faith is everything. If we want to get to God we must get through Jesus Christ. And to do that we need faith. Remember that having little faith is no difference from big faith. Faith is faith. Its either having no faith at all, or having faith 100%. In verse 16 it also says that, "Therefore the promise comes by faith, so that it may be by grace and may be gaurenteed to all Abraham's offspring not only to those who are of the law but also to those whoi are of the faith of Abraham. He is the father of us all. As it is written, "I have made you a father in the sight of God in whom he believed the the God who gives life to the dead and calls things that are not as though they were. So in this verse it also talks about faith. That we must believe the Lord is our father, he has given us life and death. Its the close correlation between faith and grace. The gentile christians who share Abraha,'s faith but who life Abraham, do not possess the law.

"The words īt was credited to him, were written not for him alone, to him also for us to whom God will credit righteousness for us who believe in him who raised Jesus Christ our Lord from the dead. He was delivered over to death for out sins and was raised to life for our justification."

I really like this verse, it is showing love from God. That the Lord sent his son Jesus Christ down to earth so Jesus can bring grace and peace in this world and also in your hearts. But God is telling us that we should have faith in that, wemust believe that the Lord will actually bring grace and peace in us, if we cannot believe that, then are sins will still remain. We must have faith that our sins will be clear and that the blood of Jesus will come through.

Lets have faith shall we.....

AMEN....................

Have a good day guys, and may God be with you.......
Joseph
minion

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2009-01-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Steven.Hong on Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:15 pm

hahaha
i saw youu cathyy pakkkk
i loved your text isaacccccc!!!!!!!!8=======================================================================D
geek

verse 9. Now, is this blessing only for the Jews, or is it also for uncircumcised Gentiles? Well, we have been saying that Abraham was counted as righteous by God because of his faith
Circumised Gentiles wow soo mean ehh jews shouldnt be blessed that much,, And I like how this chapter talks about faith again because FAITH is a big word...

Im so dead affraid
Steven.Hong
minion

Number of posts : 142
Birthday : Inside 8====D~~~~o
Registration date : 2008-09-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Isaac on Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:21 pm

hey guys... to be honest nothing really struck a chord with me in this chapter... i mean i know what its saying, but nothing stuck out to me. However... i am unsatisfied with my devo and will be doing my cell groups devo chapters for today to get more out of the word.

-Isaac
Isaac
Admin

Number of posts : 916
Birthday : will you eat my baguette?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Ha on Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:57 pm

"... it was recorded for our benefit too,"
I believe that when someone accepts God into their life and put their faith in Him, they become better people themselves.
Based on that.. this is what I took away from this Chapter:
I think "benefit" here is the treatment a person receives from the other person who has accepted God and put his faith into Him.
God is the most loving... being in the entire universe, but the thing is, He is pretty intangible. So, if someone puts faith in Someone who is REALLY loving, but is intangible, how would that person treat those around him that ARE tangible? Probably really well =]
That's what I got out of this Chapter
see ye tmr guyz
Michael Ha
minion

Number of posts : 214
Birthday : in you

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Allan on Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:07 am

Well it's 12:58 pm, lol...things are not going my way this week. Oh yah by the way if you are reading this Jacob I am practicing right now and the high sound thing you wanted might be a hit or a miss, so don't 100% count on me that it will work, Sry about that.

Psycho test tomorrow what joy...LOL

Neutral

So much talk about Circumcision...not going to lie it's a but awkward. Any who...

So the promise is received in faith. It is a free gift
It's not about following the law. The law is sometimes focused to heavily upon and you miss the big picture. To be right with God, to have a true understanding and authentic relationship with him. It's impossible to follow a law perfectly, so if you based yourself upon the law than you will never be right with God. It's not through Laws you will see God..No No No it's the direct opposite. Through a relationship with God you will want to follow God's Laws, and you can truly be humbled by them.

rabbit C you guys...today?
Allan
Disposable

Number of posts : 314
Birthday : Viet for life
Registration date : 2008-09-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JacobPk on Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:12 am

ahah tis' fine Allan, it'll still sound sick either wayy!

i really can't concentratee. i've been stacked with projects and i'm just argggh. so i haven't really got to settle down these past few days.
I have nothing to post because i didn't get much, btu i'll read it again before i sleeep.
JacobPk
Disposable

Number of posts : 458
Birthday : I like men

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: