Always Worship
Very Happy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Always Worship
Very Happy
Always Worship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John Sixteen!

+2
JacobPk
Roh
6 posters

Go down

John Sixteen! Empty John Sixteen!

Post  Roh Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:47 pm

Hey guys!

Hope your "choosedays" (as some dork once put it) are going well! I just took some time off between classes...sitting here with JOSH, actually on the thirteenth floor of the library, studying our lives away. But I like taking my breaks by reading the word and writing to you guys, so here it is.

John 16:

This chapter is sort of the turning point from these last few "sad" chapters, as Jesus prepared for his death. It's still mesmerizing how Jesus was so calm all through this time, knowing that his death was imminent, and still taught amazing things to his disciples. I find that in these last few chapters, Jesus has said the most wise words.

Jesus talks about his departure from the earth and tells us that although he will be gone, the Holy Spirit will always be with us. He comforts his people by letting them know that the Spirit will always be there to hear them to be "the connection" between them and God himself. He said, "But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come." The Holy Spirit doesn't work by himself. We need to ask him, we need to seek him. That is why we pray. Why do you think we pray before services? Before practices? Before we go to sleep? Before we do devotions? Is it because we're crazy? No. It's because Jesus has promised us in these very verses that if we ask him, he will guide us into all truth and speak what he hears. The Holy Spirit is omniscient and is ready to listen and do what we ask (by the way, I've been using God/Jesus/Holy Spirit interchangeably, and that's because these last few chapters really emphasize that the three are actually one).

Taking that into account, I want you guys to remember that God is ALWAYS around you. Everywhere you go, every breath you take, he was, is, and will be there. So remembering that, I don't want you to have guilt wherever you go, but rather feel comforted that someone's protecting you at all times, and live the best life that you can. Impress him. Talk to him. Listen to him.

PLEASE check out the Weekly Set List! and PRACTICE.

Roh
Roh
Roh
Admin

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-09-09

https://milal.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

John Sixteen! Empty John 16 i'm turning 16 tomorrow sickk :)

Post  JacobPk Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:52 pm

Ola Very Happy
I got tthe time to read the Bibs during english class because we weren't doing anything aha.
and long distance call for an hour and 16 minutes is going to be a mistake in the end. aha.

I was pretty much confused up to verse 17, until i realized Jesus was talking about the Holy Spirit. Jesus kept saying when "He" comes, "He" will convict etc. SO i was pretty much at lost.
But one part that struck me most was the phrase" Grief to joy"
I pretty much want to sum it up to thatm because when have we experienced pain and sorrow, when it resulted in joy and happiness? I like how Jesus gives the allegory of the pregnant woman, it shows us that we should have a more optomistic way of looking at things, and look forward to what is at the end and not in the middle. God always does things for a reason, to bring glory to his kingdom. Just like how when 9/11 happened, people were angry and lost, but found satisfaction in their lives through church and seeking answers. Dig it!

I had band today Wink Flute is sick
Chow Ciao Xiao
JacobPk
JacobPk
Disposable

Number of posts : 458
Birthday : I like men

Back to top Go down

John Sixteen! Empty Re: John Sixteen!

Post  dennis Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:57 pm

My chem teacher makes me angry..!
My friend and I were talking about indian food because we were done our work, but my teacher told us to separate. So, I moved to the back of the class. Then, only 20 seconds after, she said I could move back.. what the heck. Walking all the way up to the front was so embarrassing..

maybe it's my fault for talking? I dont know. She's weird. i swearr

John 16. Sweeeeeet sixteen.

When Jesus talked about the mother giving birth, I was like "ahh...". All the disciples were upset that Jesus was leaving them, and they were confused. But, like a father, Jesus told them that grief will turn into joy when they see Jesus again. I thought it was really amazing that he was consoling his disciples when he's the one who was probably the most fearful and worried to face death on a cross.

Verse 24 also spoke to me: "Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete." I finally understood why we say "In Jesus' name we pray, Amen." It's to remind us that all our prayers are through Jesus. Moreover, the fact that we should ask for everything in Jesus' name made me conscious of what I pray for. Sometimes, I pray for the most unreasonable things, like "I pray that I get a really good mark on this test even though I didn't study at all. Please help me to remember everything I've learned." I guess, sometimes, I take advantage of God in my prayers. Knowing that everything is through Jesus, I've realized that some of my prayer requests have to be modified or destroyed completely.

The last few verses stuck out to me also. Verse 32 and 33: "...Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me. I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace." Everyone betrayed Jesus, but he believed he was not alone because of God. When I was in Korea and little, I used to get picked on by nasty mean girls, and I remember telling my mom that I hated God because He says He loves me, but made me face these girls. I also remember telling her that I was such a loner. Even now, when we go through tough times, we often ask "Where is God in the midst of all of this?" But from these verses, it's clear that God is always with us, even when no one else recognizes us. Knowing that God is watching us everyday and loving us more each day, peace can definitely be with us all the time.

Adioss amigos
dennis
dennis
minion

Number of posts : 204

Back to top Go down

Post  Isaac Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:14 pm

Long day... i keep sleeping in class lately.. i dont know why... i should take more powernaps when i get home.

John 16
Finally Jesus says "no more figuratively speaking" and gives us the down low on the situation! He makes it very clear what is happening, what is going to happen, and what will happen after. I can imagine him being like "sigh ok buds, its been fun and long. Heres the plan!"
Also a lot of our fundamental Christian ways are from this chapter. This should be more well known. Like Roh and Dennis said about calling the holy spirit and why we end prayers like that and what not but the big key factor that stuck out to me was ""i have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace". Sam talks a lot about how being Christian isnt easy but God gives us "peace of mind". This is hard to apply in real life situations but its true. During turmoil if we rely on our faith and God, he will help us get through it. Peace of mind is a great thing to have. Im sure many of you have it and understand what its like to go through tuff times with your head up.

Grumble grumble. the one day i can sleep in during the week i have to go to the doctors in the morning... Sad
Have a good wed nes day. (i have to say it like that to spell it because thats how i was taught... pale )
-Isaac
Isaac
Isaac
Admin

Number of posts : 916
Birthday : will you eat my baguette?

Back to top Go down

John Sixteen! Empty John 16

Post  hannahlee Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:11 pm

I like to eat eeples and baneenees.
School was interesting today. I'm coming to realize more and more, what a challenge my Becoming Fully Human course is going to be for me, coming at it from a Christian perspective. But I was happy to realize that there are others in the class who are on my boat as well, who also aren't afraid to stand up for what we believe in, so I'm thankful for that. Whatever...I'll see it as an experience for my personal spiritual growth..It'll be G-double-O-D-Good. My friend from Newfoundland taught me that. Hahaha. Anyways.

John 16
v.33 "I have told you these things so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."
My favourite verse from today's passage..Whenever I'm struggling, I always remember what Sam's said about finding the inexplicable, incomparable peace of Christ through prayer, and this is exactly what Jesus suggests here. I also really appreciate the fact that, He himself, doesn't try to sugarcoat things and try to make it seem like the run is going to be something easy - no, on the contrary, he blatantly says, "In this world you will have trouble." And I realized it can not only be trouble in the form of persecution for our beliefs, like it primarily may have been for the disciples, but also in the form of our personal struggles with our faiths by way of falling into temptations that are of this world. Anyways, then He goes on to make this verse for me, with the "But take heart! I have overcome the world." To me, this is such a great message of hope. It reminds me of one of my favourite verses from Romans 8:31 where it says, "If God be for us, who can be against us." I remember I used to say that out loud whenever I was home alone and I'd be walking up the stairs, and that phrase was the greatest comfort. Substantially better than the singing ridiculously loud, poorly pretending I was an Asian Aretha and/or Tina, that I'd done prior to that. So when Jesus states how he has "overcome the world", it has the same kind of comforting effect for me.

I also really like how the power and significance of the Holy Spirit is emphasized here. I think oftentimes, I used to subconsciously cast the Holy Spirit as a..."supplementary" of sorts, if that makes any sense...Where I recognized that it's important, but failed to recognize that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are one and the same. In this chapter, Jesus even says how when He leaves this world, it'll be the Spirit of truth that comes and takes his place. It was a good reminder for me to consciously continuously try to seek and engage in the Holy Spirit in all that I do, as Roh mentioned.

Happy Wednesdays across the board tomorrow, everybody! Smile
Have you ever thought about how unnecessary the 'd' and 'e' in that word are? Or is it just that the entirety of the English-speaking population says it wrong...Hmm...Food for thought. (HAHA - e-sak, that phrase is like our food philosophy. no? no? Nevermind.)

- Hannah
hannahlee
hannahlee
minion

Number of posts : 219
Birthday : how tall? CN tower tall...

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:18 am

Goood evening ladies and gents
so here is my two cents on JOHN 16:
So this is one of the last days before Jesus' crucifixion; and Jesus has a serious talk with the disciples about what is to come, and they are just really confused for a while. Jesus expalins that he is returning to the Father, who he came from, but that it is necessary for him to leave because if he doesn't, the Counsellor (the Holy Spirit) won't come. He says that he will leave, and that he will return. The disciples are like. HUH?
and Jesus uses the analogy of a woman experiencing labor pains affraid
A woman goes through A LOT OF PAIN during labour (remember that, boys); just as how Jesus will go through great amounts of pain tobe crucified, and the disciples will be very mournful and sorrowful. However, this labor pain is necessary in order to bring new life into the world, which is what Jesus is essentially doing. When Jesus rises from the dead, he opens the gates of heaven - he receives eternal life, and by doing so, gives everyone the opportunity to receive the same. Later on, Jesus says that we will have many trials and sorrows.. but "Take heart, becuase I have overcome the world." By rising from the dead, defying the worldly rules of life and death, Jesus shows that his power is greater than the natural cycle of life and death. He shows us how powerful he is, how much greater he is than the world we know. And thus, he encourages us to be comforted; when the world hits hard and gives us pain, we can seek Jesus who can help us overcome the hold and oppression of the world Smile
Cathy
Cathy
Disposable

Number of posts : 401

Back to top Go down

Post  Isaac Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:36 am

I heard labour is like peeing out a lemon for guys.... But that would hurt no?:p yacob I have ur bray in my iPod calender so I didn't forget! It 26 min till ur birthday but let me be the first to wish you a happy birthday!!!! 15 sucks. It's such an awkward age and number!!?!? Have a good one and let's do something special for our friend on Friday!!!!!
Isaac
Isaac
Admin

Number of posts : 916
Birthday : will you eat my baguette?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down