Always Worship
Very Happy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Always Worship
Very Happy
Always Worship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

colossians 2 2 2

4 posters

Go down

colossians 2 2 2 Empty colossians 2 2 2

Post  dennis Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:51 pm

Hello, I've read the past devos, just didn't get a chance to post them up.
I'll do them soon Smile

Colossians 2
I'm really liking this book. In this chapter, there are three verses that I want to expand on.

v.2 "My purpose is that they may be encouraged in heart and united in love, so that they may have the full riches of complete understanding."
This verse can apply to us in many ways- with friends, family, other believers. When I read this verse, the first thing I thought of was our praise team; I'm sure some of you in the leadership team were reminded of your group as well. I think it's been quite a while since we've had the full band at practice and on Sunday, but I think it's important to recognize that this should not significantly affect our unity. Paul tells us in this verse that being encouraged in heart and united in love will bring people to complete understanding. First, if being encouraged at heart applies to us, I think some of us are already motivating others to keep on track with their devotions. In addition to these reminders, subtle encouragements and acts of kindness can really change someone's day. When someone's missing from practice or Sunday service, let's get into the habit of texting, e-mailing, or calling him/her. After all, we're a family, right? I'm sure if our sibling did not come home one night, we would call him/her up. Let's just continue to be accountable to each other. Second, I think we can be united in love through prayer. In our busy lives, we hardly take the time to pray for everyone in our lives. If we all took a chunk of time in this week to pray for everyone on the praise/leadership team, that means that each person is prayed for by at least 13 people this week.

v.6 "So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness."
During morning prayer last week, Elisa talked about how we can recognize God's power in our lives when we take the time to look in the past and see how He has moved in every moment. This verse talks about growing and strengthening our faith with the same passion that we had when we received Jesus as our savior. Thinking back to the retreat when my life started to change reminds me of what God has done in my life. When we are lazy in our faith in God, I think the best thing to get back on track is to reflect and be thankful for God's blessing on us.

v.11 "In him you were also circumcised, in the putting off of the sinful nature, not with a circumcision done by the hands of men but with the circumcision done by Christ..."
We've all heard from Sam that simply being "good" will not save us because we have to more importantly believe that God sent Jesus to take away our sins. Being "good" is our idea or perception of the way to heaven. However, the only pathway to heaven is to follow God and be ready to follow his lead. Paul talks about how people are not free from sin just because they are circumcised. Instead, they are only saved through Christ. Thus, believing comes first in God's eyes. Once we believe and love our relationship with God, we will naturally want to praise Him, be "good", and sin less.
dennis
dennis
minion

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

colossians 2 2 2 Empty Re: colossians 2 2 2

Post  Michael Ha Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:37 am

I agree with everything you mentioned Denise, especially about the one involving the Praise Team.
We actually haven't had a full band in a while, but that shouldn't hurt our team chemistry at all.
I don't even think it has, we're a pretty tight team overall so ya..

At the very end of this Chapter Paul mentions that laws set out by human beings are wise, good, etc. but they will not ultimately help us become "good" people. This is due to the fact that the desire to commit to evil deeds still reside within ourselves, the laws and their repercussions just prevent us from committing these crimes. Yet, the thought lingers in our head and that's why Paul says that the only way to be saved is to believe and love Christ, who frees us from treacherous thoughts. A lot of the good things entail believing in God and Jesus anyways, so it all starts with belief.
Also, this Chapter taught me the value of education, and the value of the course I'm taking at school: Theory of Knowledge. Education is important so you can call bullsh** on people when they're saying bullsh** and the course I'm taking basically teaches me how to do that.
I mean, it's really all common sense, but if you don't have education, you won't be familiar with all the areas of common sense because of the shear breadth of it. For instance, for a person who knows the dangers of weak ice, it's common sense to not purposefully walk over the ice unless you really have to. However, if a person is unaware of the dangers of weak ice, then the person will not possess the same common sense as the former person and might walk over the ice even when they don't have to. Therefore, I learned that it's valuable to educate myself about all the aspects of God, and the Bible so I can benefit from all the good things that precede it and call bullsh** on things when they present themselves.
That's what I learned today~
Come on guys, let's not slack on devos
Michael Ha
Michael Ha
minion

Number of posts : 214
Birthday : in you

Back to top Go down

Post  Isaac Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:41 am

pig
7 Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him
People say they are Christian. Apparently around 26% of the world call themselves "Christian". Now, to me, its one thing to say it, and its something else to live it. It says LET your lives be built on him. Not "build your lives". So we choose to do it. Its not something that "happens" one day when we wake up, or after we accept Jesus. Im sure most of us are strong in our Christian walks, but we should build our lives on Jesus, not around. Dont be a "convenient Christian". Dont go to God only when YOU want something. I HATE it when people go to Church for different purposes other than connecting with God. Like picking up chicks, or what not. So although doing devos, at times, is hard... see it as connecting with God. I mean, we all come on Friday with open hearts, and ready to worship, yet were not doing devos daily. If you think of it as homework, its really not.
Isaac
Isaac
Admin

Number of posts : 916
Birthday : will you eat my baguette?

Back to top Go down

Post  JacobPk Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:54 am

goood points alll of you guys, i really learned soemthing. sorry for not posting up devos!
I really like the praise team unity bit, pretty tight yo.

I want to touch up on isaa'cs verse. Later on it says "Overflow in thankfulness."
Our thankfulness for him should be overflowing, because his love for us is overflowing.
I remember at missions we talked about Overflow. Picture this :
There is a jar of dirty water, however if you kept pouring clear water into it, it will eventually turn clean as well right? THe jar itself will eventually be filled with only clear water because the clear water overflowed with the dirty water. Isn't CHrist's love the same? He loves us so that our hearts can be purified and cleansed fomr sin.
I really like that song Overflow. Powerful ahaha
JacobPk
JacobPk
Disposable

Number of posts : 458
Birthday : I like men

Back to top Go down

Post  Isaac Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:58 am

hhmmmm great devo Jacob! i like the overflow analogy. Which made me think of what Opera said once. I only watched her show once and i learned a lot from that one show. She said "you can only help others if you are full, and overflowing... if your cup is overflowed, it will overflow into other cups and so on, and so on". Really taught me something about being a leader. Since were all leaders, we can take this analogy into practice.
Isaac
Isaac
Admin

Number of posts : 916
Birthday : will you eat my baguette?

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down