Always Worship
Very Happy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Always Worship
Very Happy
Always Worship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

!!!

5 posters

Go down

!!! Empty !!!

Post  Andy Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:03 pm

umm quick thing before i start off..Just wanted to suggest a break on friday, it seems like we are pressed for time, after school drop off your bag and go to your meetings..just wanna hear your thoughts. Maybe even perhaps sunday? im not sure because before the leadership team joined the forums thats how we did it. and my bad for the recent missed devos, whole exam week and other things threw off my scheduling..ill definitely get on track with future devos, for sure!

galatians 2 here we go...

Well this chapter starts off with a very bold statement saying "God does not judge by external appearance." this means that God doesn't care what you do on the outside, like going to church, helping the homeless, etc. i mean don't get me wrong these are all good things, but the most important thing here is your motive and why you choose to do these kinds of things, if its for anything else but God we are doing something meaningless. It doesn't matter what kind of person you are on the outside, the inside is where is counts for God. The other thing that sort of jumped out at me was when Paul publicly opposed Peter in public. I really thought that Paul should have done this in private, as i don't think the other people needed to hear all this. I think that our leadership team and praise team has to watch out for one another, if we are doing something clearly wrong we have to come out and say it in private not in public. We should just take it as advice, swallow our pride and listen to the person that is trying to help you. Paul talked to Peter about hypocrisy, as peter went around telling the Gentiles to live like a Jew, but instead himself was living like a gentile. This goes for the same with us, if we tell other people to do something, then we must do what we teach, like telling someone to clean up, while you don't clean up yourself, doesn't really make sense.. The last part is about justification, Paul states that we will be only be justified through FAITH and not by observing the law, so no matter how good you are, you cannot be justified, only when you have faith in God you will be...

Andy
minion

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

!!! Empty Re: !!!

Post  Cathy Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:31 pm

Hey Guys..
Hope Street Missions is going well!
Kk so for Galatians 2:
Paul talks about the fact that we are saved through God's grace, and not by the Law. He then brings up the controversial question, that if we are justified in Christ, but we are sinners, does that mean that Christ promotes sin? And he answers it himself saying NO! Verse 19-21 says: "For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!"
Through this verse he reveals that he gave up his entire life to be with God - that through God's grace, he gave up all of his former life, and with it his sins - and made Christ the center of his life. Thus, he puts the grace of God in the centre - and because of his grace, that he sort of ressurrected too in a way - except more figurative than Jesus' ressurection ofcourse. He means to say that his life became renewed, and that the grace of God does so much more than just the law. Therefore, I think that this passage really seeks to remind us that we can't just live a good life that is abiding by the law to be saved. But we really need to see our lives as being renewed - and have a completly different perspective on our life and the purpose of it in comparison to the lives we had before Jesus. By simply living by the law, it's easy to make our priorities and our motives selfish. But in living by the faith that we are saved by God's grace, our perspective gets changed and we should be shifting our priorities on God and our motives on glorifying him. This is what makes Chrsitianity so easy and hard at the same time. It's not brain science or a ridiculous amount of self-discipline or paranoia. But at the same time, because we're trying to transform our lives from the inside - it can be so hard to keep ourselves in track. Smile
Cathy
Cathy
Disposable

Number of posts : 401
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Isaac Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:39 pm

Loads of fun today but all in all we reached out and started something that will hopefully become something great Very Happy

He talks about faith in God and not the law. It was hard to follow thought no? i had to read it a few times to get it right. This makes me think of the "its a relationship not a religion" phrase. Its through God, not through the laws, that we are saved. Cathy summed up everything i was thinking, kudos cathy.

E-Sek OUT!
Isaac
Isaac
Admin

Number of posts : 916
Birthday : will you eat my baguette?

Back to top Go down

Post  JacobPk Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:43 am

Street Missions : Success!

In verse 6 it says that the reputation as great leaders didn't mean anything to him for God had no favourites. So true. Paul doesn't say
the great leaders itself, he says the reputation makes no difference. Everyone has the oppurtunity to become great in God's eyes, reputation is something man created not God. We can all become great leaders, although reputation may seem important because we leaders are the examples, it can also be a hindrance! To put ourselves higher than God is NOT the right way to go.
I also like that verse It is no longer i who lives, but CHrist lives in me. It's really powerful if you think about it. You are seldomly giving upo your life so that you can live for Christ, tahst what it means for CHrist to live in you. TO change and become more like him everyday.
Excited for tomorrow!
JacobPk
JacobPk
Disposable

Number of posts : 458
Birthday : I like men

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Ha Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:47 am

Just saw the last 2 episodes of season 3 of The Office...
It had so much depth, it shook me to the core...
Basically it was about Jan's total self-destruction, ironically, along the process of seeking "happiness"
By the end of the season, she is just completely leveled to the ground... totally pathetic...
Now obviously there were a series of events that accumulated to eventually lead up to the tragedy, but I thought the most important factor was blindly seeking "happiness" and in doing so, neglecting everything else.
What's happiness anyway? geez... The things people do, and how they fool themselves to seek "happiness" is just... gruesome
Anyways, I actually arrived to the conclusion that The Office is actually quite deep:
Every character in the show pertain to one extreme quality that are present within the "outcasts" of society, and I believe they are the medium used to question: what is normal anyway?
The obvious protagonist of the show is Michael Scott, and he is actually the most interesting character.
His personality is rather straightforward, there aren't any secrets when it comes to how he feels, and in terms of social aspect he is totally uncaring, or just totally oblivious, of his rather in-the-face behaviour.
His redeeming qualities are that he is honest, caring, he TRIES to be open-minded though he obviously has ignorant biases stamped into his head, and he values people/relations over work.
Now when I first started watching The Office, I felt uncomfortable everytime when Michael got himself into really embarrassing situations, I don't know what it is but watching another person go through embarrassment makes me want to cringe and look away, and obviously laugh.
But then again, I started asking myself why did I see it as that way?
It's kind of annoying... living with norms and standards... being restricted to who you can be in society because of other people's perspective... I mean, if you don't have anyone who understands you or likes you, then you're basically done for in this world.
Then I realized how fake everything was here... Makes me feel rather reticent about living in general...
Even sharing this makes me feel so fake, because it's so melodramatic and emo right? I know whoever is reading this will see it that way.
But seriously, Paul points it out in this Chapter when he observes Peter's hypocritical behavoiur: "Since you, a Jew by birth, have discarded the Jewish laws and are living like a Gentile, why are you now trying to make these Gentiles follow the Jewish traditions?"
Peter was fine before he met Jews... but because he was afraid of how he would be seen, he changed...
So fake...
Michael Ha
Michael Ha
minion

Number of posts : 214
Birthday : in you

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down