Always Worship
Very Happy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Always Worship
Very Happy
Always Worship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

February 6: Devotions!

Go down

February 6: Devotions! Empty February 6: Devotions!

Post  hannahlee Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:26 pm

Romans 14

"Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters. One man's faith allows him to eat everything, but another man, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables. The man who eats everything must not look down on him who does not, and the man who does not eat everything must not condemn the man who does, for God has accepted him. Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To his own master he stands or falls. And he will stand, for the Lord is able to make him stand.

A couple of things about this passage..
1. I like how even the "weak" men are addressed in a personal way, when he says that the weak also cannot condemn the strong. It indicates to me that this wasn't a document intended only for the faithful and holy to read but one for all the people of the time...it wasn't meant to be something designed to exclude but include all. For whatever reason, it gives me more confidence in the bible as a historical text.

2. I just read a piece in my English class by Spider Robinson, and he's talking about how he can't see the awe-inspiring spirituality behind religions that condone manslaughter with a purpose...how he can't understand how Arab imams have not publicly denounced suicide-bombings, how Catholic cardinals have not condemned the abortionist-murderers, or the pedophile priests, etc. etc. and still see the right to call themselves sane, spiritual beings, because in his words, they are carrying out actions akin to those of individuals suffering from psychosis. And as a Christian, it really struck me. It sucks that with a religious history of fatal Christ Crusades and the Inquisitions, and extremist Christians even today that misinterpret and misconstrue the word and will of God, we can potentially lose our shot at validity with a lot of non-believers in today's day and age. So it's all the more important to allow our actions to speak for us. The worst thing we could possibly do is make ourselves seem like a group of peoples that condemns non-believers, like it says in this passage. We need to be a loving, compassionate, open group that makes everyone feel sooo welcome. Blah. I think I might send out this article to you guys..Really neat and puts things into cool perspective.

I'm seeing everyone in like...an hour. BOMB.
Whoowhoo.

- H
hannahlee
hannahlee
minion

Number of posts : 219
Birthday : how tall? CN tower tall...
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down