Always Worship
Very Happy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Always Worship
Very Happy
Always Worship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Luke 20 - Devotions

+10
Andy
Suji
Sean
JacobPk
Isaac
Steven.Hong
dennis
Roh
hannahlee
Moses
14 posters

Go down

Luke 20 - Devotions Empty Luke 20 - Devotions

Post  Moses Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:10 am

Ah....im posting now cause I don't think I'll have time to post later cause I have so much stuff to study for my math exam....
gl with exams to all of u guys too!

In "The Parable of the Tenants" and "Whose Son is the Christ", Jesus talks about the teachers of the law, the Pharisees, and the wrong doings that they commmit. In the same way, we shouldn't be like the Pharisees who consider themselves to be higher in status or more important than anyone else since God made us all the same way. When we pray, we should pray because we want to and not because we have to or so that others may see what we are doing. In "The Resurrection and Marriage", Jesus talks about how marriage and death are not present in the kingdom of heaven. As he says, God is a God of the living and not of the dead. As a result, people do not marry nor sin in heaven as people become something like angels and become God's children - God's children who praise him and worship him.

Moses

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2009-01-18

Back to top Go down

Luke 20 - Devotions Empty Re: Luke 20 - Devotions

Post  hannahlee Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:23 pm

Luke 20

Good luck with exams everybody!

Luke 20

v.25 “Give Caesar what belongs to Caesar, and give to God what belongs to God.”
This made me reminiscent of the verse that says we cannot mix money and God. To me, Caesar was representative of this world. So once more, in a similar fashion, it reminded me that what is of the world stays in this world and we shouldn’t allow it to conflict with our relationship with God.
We’re a part of this world whether we like it or not, so as difficult as it may be sometimes to follow God’s word in this world, we just have to try hard. It’s not like we can all just pick up and go, buy an island, and deem it Jesus Land. We can’t just give up on the world. So we need to figure out and strike that balance, where we’re participating in the world but not letting it govern our spiritual lives. Participate in the world, but always remember that our bodies were crafted by God, so at the end of the day, even when it feels like you can take the world on by yourself, we have to give to God what belongs to God.
Hope that makes sense. Hahaha.
- H
hannahlee
hannahlee
minion

Number of posts : 219
Birthday : how tall? CN tower tall...
Registration date : 2008-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post  Roh Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:39 pm

Hey everyone!

One more day and then Friday! You know what that meansssss. Remember to look over the songs and have them ready for tomorrow! I really appreciate your work guys! I hope exams are going/went well too.

I like the story of the evil farmers. When I first read it, it made sense almost right away. We're the farners and Goid is the man who leased out the land to us while he was on leave. I think it's a good reflection, for we often reject God's messages (and messengers - prophets) to keep doing what we're doing. We don't want others to tell us what we do wrong - it's a natural response. But when you feel like God is speaking to you, don't ignore Him. The last thing you want is for God to tell you that you had all the chances while he still trusted you with the farms.

Know your responsibilities and roles.

Roh
Roh
Roh
Admin

Number of posts : 147

https://milal.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dennis Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:53 pm

Luke 20

v.46 "Beware of the teachers of the law. They like to walk around in flowing robes and love to be greeted in the marketplaces and have the most important seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at banquets."

I wrote about humility for one of my university applications, and it's been on my mind for a few days now. This verse really spoke to me about being boastful and almost meaningless. By meaningless, I mean that, as praise leaders and believers, I think that we have the responsibility and should want to "always worship." However, it's so difficult for us to step out of our bubbles to get to know other newcomers at our church. Obviously, our tight-knit group is great. But as leaders, I really think that we should step out of our comfort zone in order to make everyone at our ministry feel welcome.

For praise team, specifically, I think we've kind of overcome our dead looks when playing on Sunday. To grow a little bit more, let's stretch ourselves to always worship and extend our love and care for those around us.

Praise team, have fun worshipping tomorrow SmileSmile
Leadership team.. hiii

-Denise
dennis
dennis
minion

Number of posts : 204

Back to top Go down

Post  Steven.Hong Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:04 am

hey guys finally done
examssss
hehehehehehehe
for people who have more exams good luck

v25, This verse talks about how they were goin to trick Jesus into saying bad stuff
so he gets arrested wow evil guys ehh
but Jesus was smart and his answer were so great that the spies became silent..
Wow can you imagine yourself trying to catch someone but they say something that makes change ur mind.

-Steven Hong lol!
Steven.Hong
Steven.Hong
minion

Number of posts : 142
Birthday : Inside 8====D~~~~o
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Isaac Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:13 am

Hello... hello....

Jesus owned two people in this chapter... sick....
hmmm like Rohan i liked the farming parable. But i didnt get it at first. Mainly cause my eyes are tired and i had to read the chapter over a few times.
But i dont get the capstone analogy. Can anyone care to explain???

Good luck on your exams guys!!!!! ciao guys tomorrow!

E-Sek OUT!
Isaac
Isaac
Admin

Number of posts : 916
Birthday : will you eat my baguette?

Back to top Go down

Post  JacobPk Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:17 am

i didn't get much from this chapter.
I liked the parable of the Evil farmers though.

Also the part about the stone that the builders rejected. Jesus is referring the stone to himself, i think. Everyone rejects him, but in the end he has become the corner stone. And whoever falls awwy from God or falls short to reachign God will not have everlasting life. i think.
JacobPk
JacobPk
Disposable

Number of posts : 458
Birthday : I like men

Back to top Go down

Post  Sean Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:23 am

wow i just wrote out my longgggggggggggggggggggggggg devo
but i doesnt post.
Sean
Sean
minion

Number of posts : 36
Birthday : when michael was born

Back to top Go down

Post  Isaac Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:30 am

if you click something or go backwards it deletes it. So try to either not press anything or once in a while copy the text.
Isaac
Isaac
Admin

Number of posts : 916
Birthday : will you eat my baguette?

Back to top Go down

Post  Suji Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:21 am

OMG- cannot beleive Brad Pitt would ever get an Oscar Nomination- really shocked
but I hope slumdog millionaire wins something!- SO GOOD, a must watch- a really beautiful one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGde-2liFwU
This one was nominated for best animated short film- really good, hope it wins

When I read the Parable of the Tenants I saw that the characters parallel God, Jesus and those who do not beleive or accept him as their saviour. The owner of the vineyard is God and his vineyard is this earth and its fruits being gifts and blessings (free will, capability to worship etc). The evil farmers being those who ignore God and those who are completely selfish. Fruits (worship, love, a relationship) is sought but not given though the owner has complete control of the vineyard. Why wouldn't he just take the fruits by force?- because he wants genuine love that is given with free will. Throughout the chapter God sends three servants. ( i think those three are Solomon, David and some other...) Each servant comes back empty handed but also pays a price of being beat and wounded (both Solomon and David fell into lust). Finally the owner sends his son, Jesus Christ and He is killed by the selfish renters. Yes Jesus Christ technically sacrificed himself but it is shwon in this parable that the sins (which we commit because we are selfish, sins do not benefit anyone except for our selfishness) killed him. In turn the owner comes and kills them deciding to get the vineyard to others.
Therefore the moral of the story is if you sin which is an act of selfishness and do not return what God has given you (love) than you will burn in hell.

later days
Suji
Suji
minion

Number of posts : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  Roh Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:03 am

sean u should still post
Roh
Roh
Admin

Number of posts : 147

https://milal.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:13 am

I think the part of when Jesus mentions the teachers of the law at the end of the chapter is really key in here. I mean these type of people still exist today, they look good on the outside, but they are fake on the inside. I think it really doesn't matter what we do unless we are devoted to it, our whole heart needs to be there. People do things to be recognized and noticed so that other people go like "hmm wow he really follows the word of God..." but on the inside, their true intentions are not what it's supposed to be. I think its really key for us, the leadership team and the praise team to be reminded of this, we don't do this just to be noticed and recognized by everyone, but we do it for out God.

Andy
minion

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2009-01-19

Back to top Go down

Post  Joseph Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:17 am

Hey guys, how are u all doing, hope everything is going out well for you guys..anyways heres my devotion...

In verse 26-27 it says Beware of the teachers of the law, They like to walk around in flowing robes and love to be greeted in the marketplaces and have the most important sears in the synagogues. In this verse God is giving us a warning he is telling us that these teachers or law, are trying to get everything they want. They want to get respect from others, and want to be like number one. They think they are in charge of everhting, but i totally disagree. I believe that God is in charge, he is the one who created us, so we should be thankful.
The teachers of law thinks that just because they are the teachers of law they think they must be treated like kings. When God saw this, i thik God was disapointed. So in verse 27 God says "They devour widows houses and for a show make lengthly prayers. Such man will be punished most severly. In this verse God is telling us that, if we are like these teachers, God will punish us. Overal in this passage i think God is telling us that we should all be treated the same, and we should also treat others we treat our selves.

AMEN.....................
Joseph
Joseph
minion

Number of posts : 66

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Ha Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:38 am

hey guys, just came back home and took a shower after playing ball with my friends in boarding
i'm wiped.. lol
got wiped too, their shooting average was like 99.9%
good luck with exams everyone!

Parable of the Evil Farmers really spoke to me in this Chapter...
I always had this perspective that God was loving, He will forgive everyone, He loves everybody, and all these sugar coated stuff.
But in this part.. It shows God's reaction to the people who reject Him: brutal wrath.
I kinda forget how great God really is sometimes, He's not just some foolish, naive person who forgives all trespasses and loves blindly.
He made us after all, and we should thank Him, love Him, and most importantly respect Him.
Michael Ha
Michael Ha
minion

Number of posts : 214
Birthday : in you

Back to top Go down

Post  fobsquads Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:29 am

What up peoples!
It is Thursday! One more day till the week-end peeps!

What I read: Luke 20
What I learned: so here I see Luke puts all the testing of Jesus together. So he is tested by the chief priests, and the Sadducees, and then at the end Jesus makes this statement which I found quite interesting: “beware of the teachers of the law. They like to walk around in flowing robes and love to be greeted in the marketplaces and have the most important seats in the synagogues and the places of honor at banquets. They devour widows houses and for a show make lengthy prayers. Such men will be punished most severely”. I found this quite interesting as this is so hard to not fall into as a human, and especially as a pastor because of all the attention a person can get. I guess this is why many of the teachers of the law fell into that temptation.
What I am going to do: well I got to learn to be humble, but more importantly as a leader to continue to remember to be that leader who is willing to not take on that role as someone who is important.
fobsquads
fobsquads
minion

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:44 am

Guys who's fobsquads?
haha anyways
i agree with miguel i likke the parable of the tenants becuase it reminds me that we can't only think about the sugar-coated GOd who lves us no matter what. But we have to keep in mind the wrathful God.. haha reminds me of the simpsons where homer had that picture.. loving God, wrathful GOd. Loving God, Wrathful God.. Hhaha ohh Homer.
Anyways so yeah this parable is like an extended metaphor (im sorry i just had an english exam today haha ) and God is represented by the vineyard owner, and all of the servants that he sends are prophets. He sends his son (JESUS) in the hopes that they will respect h im, but he only gets killed becuase they thinik that by doing so, they'll sort of. defeat God and take over his kingdom(vineyard). Maybe id understand this passage a little more if I knew waht a capstone is.
Cathy
Cathy
Disposable

Number of posts : 401

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down