Always Worship
Very Happy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Always Worship
Very Happy
Always Worship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Genesis 42

+3
dennis
hannahlee
Roh
7 posters

Go down

Genesis 42 Empty Genesis 42

Post  Roh Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:48 pm

I'm in my evening class, but class sucks and it's getting reallllllly boring, so I just popped my headphones in and decided to do my devos. It's been a loooong day and this makes me feel good. Hope you guys are having great weeks and can't wait for Friday! I'm really excited as well. Please respond to my email that I've sent out today if you haven't done so already, and we'll try to work something out.

Genesis 42

This is one of those chapters where you read it, and you take a peek at the next one because it's so exciting! But I'll keep the contents of my devo on just this chapter. This story actually has some sort of humour and it made me really enjoy it. First of all, what a coincidence that Joseph saw his brothers! But it made me wonder...if Joseph was that high in the ranks, wouldn't he have made an effort to at least pay a visit back to his land and meet his family again? No...for many years, he probably could have done so, but he chose to wait it out and his brothers finally came to HIM (not intentionally, obviously). But how he treats his brothers, though he was happy to see them, sort of explains why Joseph did not want to go back to his father and his family. Although he loved his family, he was holding a grudge and that kept him away from his home. Good thing is though, is that this grudge wasn't big enough to actually punish his brothers but simply to trick them to see Benjamin. And he was very charitable. He filled their sacks with a lot of food, didn't take their money, and even gave provisions for their journey back home.

This is a good example of grace. His brothers basically wanted to kill him. And look where he came. He came so far. His perseverence and commitment to God took his this far through many troubles (of which we've seen a couple of) and he must have been so excited to boast to his brothers. But no, he kept his humble character and was very wise about it. He wanted to see that all of his family members were doing fine and he let that happen. He did not get angry, or he did not get boastful; he was simply concerned for his family and loved them so dearly. That's an honorable trait.

I'll send out the song list soon!

Roh
Roh
Roh
Admin

Number of posts : 147
Registration date : 2008-09-09

https://milal.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Genesis 42 Empty Re: Genesis 42

Post  hannahlee Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:56 pm

My school choir's singing Handel's Messiah this winter, WHOOOWHOOO. You know the Hallelujah chorus? Yeah, sick tings. You know, for the first time ever, I heard a friend say that yesterday and they were being perfectly serious. Sick Tings.

GENESIS 42
Joseph's one crazy cat, an individual who definitely has God at his side at alllll times! His so-called family, namely his ten brothers who sold him and expected death upon him, come to Egypt where he is, and I can't imagine the anger that I'm sure a lot of people would have felt had they been in his position...He's in a position to EASILY compensate for all the hurt that they put him through, but what does he do instead? He shows them grace. I mean, perhaps not in the most obvious way but we can tell that his intentions mean no harm and he sends them back home with grain and pouches of silver to boot. That couldn't be anything but love to give them what they certainly don't deserve. Pretty great.

HAPPY WEDNESDAYS-

- H
hannahlee
hannahlee
minion

Number of posts : 219
Birthday : how tall? CN tower tall...

Back to top Go down

Post  dennis Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:39 pm

Oh crrrrrap. I realized that I did Genesis 42 last night.. oopsies.
And I did Genesis 41 two nights ago.... pale

Sorry for the mix up. I'll just do Genesis 40 here.

Genesis 40

v.6& 7. When Joseph came to them [guards] the next morning, he saw that they were dejected...."Why are your faces so sad today?"
This verse shows how compassionate Joseph is to other people. Although he could have been really emotional and depressed from having been abandoned and betrayed by everyone around him (first, his brothers, and then, Potiphar), Joseph did not stop caring for those around him.

This is kind of a tangent, but do you ever have those moments when you wave or say hi to someone, and that person doesn't wave back? Ugh, that's one of my pet peeves. When I'm walking in the hallway, and a teacher I don't know says good morning to me, I feel so good. If he/she didn't say hi, I would've felt really awkward. I think Joseph is like that teacher- he doesn't dwell on his own emotions because he cares so much for other people.

v.23 The chief cupbearer, however, did not remember Joseph; he forgot him.

Stupid cupbearer. Joseph clearly told him to tell the Pharaoh about letting him out of prison, and the cupbearer forgot. Niceeee. This whole chapter taught me to think about other people and treat them well. Often times, people help us accomplish something, whether it be someone who helps us understand the math concept right before the test, or a friend who talks with us get through difficult times. After we get a good mark on the math test or feel good after struggling for a while, do we remember to thank our friends? A lot of us forget. I hope that we won't be like the cupbearer who forgets the gift of Joseph to interpret dreams. Rather, let's take the time to thank our friends, family, and God for sticking with us through everything little and big.
dennis
dennis
minion

Number of posts : 204

Back to top Go down

Post  JacobPk Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:44 pm

Pretty Intense Chapter.!!
IT must be such a dramatic situation for the Jacob family, they're threatening to kill themselves over this and that. Joseph what a sleep guy, but i want to point out one thing i liked. When Joseph turned around from his brtohers, he teared. Whether he teared with joy or sadness i don't think it matters. Emotions are something you sometimes can't control. I would like to share ahah, i was doing my homework and decided to take a break and do my devo, it was when we were reading John and it was about Jesus dying on the cross. For some reason i started tearing and just crying, and i went outside and saw the most beautiful sky. It WAS pretty sick Smile Now going back, Joseph must've felt so relieved and angry, but through God he was able to forgive his breothers, and i would conclude with saying that Joseph crying tears of joy.
Will we have this power to forgive just like Joseph? Even if it's the most worse-type of scenario you can think of?

Also,Let's be authentic. Lets let our EMOTIONS just pour out when we praise. Lets not let things like pride, and judgement get ahead of us. Lets just go CRAZY for God. WOuldn't that be nice to see one day? ahaha

Ciao!
JacobPk
JacobPk
Disposable

Number of posts : 458
Birthday : I like men

Back to top Go down

Post  Michael Ha Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:12 am

Ya, like all of you guys said this Chapter was about grudge, and from this Chapter I learned about... grudge
I'm thinking to myself now how things would've played out if Joseph had revealed himself to his brothers...
Well I'm guessing that since Joseph's brothers had previously wanted to kill Joseph for having DREAMS of his brothers bowing down before him, they would want to now take away Joseph from his current power.
Joseph could show all the mercy he wants to his brothers, but if they don't learn how to show mercy or love themselves, then Joseph didn't do his job right. I think here Joseph did the best thing which is to show grace to his brothers indirectly. This is a great move by Joseph in my opinion because it is something Joseph's brothers can look back and reflect on in the future and say, "Wow Joseph did these things for us even though we betrayed him." However, if Joseph had treated them really well from the moment he saw Joseph, I think they would have just thought to either usurp Joseph's power or manipulate their "naive" brother. I mean.. come on let's face it, if someone treated you so badly and you welcome him with open arms, anybody would think you're a naive person.
Yep.. that's what I took away from this Chapter.
And Roh, I was wondering why Joseph insisted on Benjamin coming to see him, so when you said it's because Joseph would've wanted to see one of his brothers he has never seen before, that helped me understand it.
Also Jacob, ya honestly let's go crazy/ape/authentic/ and give everything for God in our praise! Amen brother, see you on Friday!
See you all on Friday =]

p.s. Denise... fail... monkey lol jks =D
Michael Ha
Michael Ha
minion

Number of posts : 214
Birthday : in you

Back to top Go down

Post  Isaac Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:16 am

Just took a 4 hour nap... going for 10 more hours Very Happy

I know how this story ends, and its pretty awesome. but in this chapter Joseph gives the old back of the hand to his "brothers".
Mike makes a good point, if he acted all nice from the beginning, they might abuse his powers but in this way, they might learn their lesson.

Have a good Wed-nes-day!
E-Sek OUT!
Isaac
Isaac
Admin

Number of posts : 916
Birthday : will you eat my baguette?

Back to top Go down

Post  Cathy Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:04 am

WHAZZUPPPPP
kk so on with the joseph story Smile
so joseph's brothers got punished for what they did; turns out that joseph's dreams about them bowing down to him were true. SUCKS TO BE THEMMM!
and when they come asking Joseph for grain, joseph pretends not to recognize them. I think that a part of this is like.. revenge. I mean, Joseph did get sold off by his own brothers.. But at the same time, Joseph knows that everything happened within God's plan. I mean, even though it seemed like he got screwed by his brothers selling him off, in the end he ended up being really rich and high in status with the pharoh, whereas his brothers were starving. So Joseph shoudl actually kinda be hapy that he got sold.
But anyhoo, he shows the brothers charity indirectly, like Mike said. he doesnt come out and say OH MY BROTHERS I LOVE YOU LETS EAT LOTS OF BREAD TOGETHER. he makes them think that he's suspicious of them, so that they can prove himself to him, and proabably so they dont try to take advantage of him. But with the deal he made and the pouches of silver everyone found, he is showing mercy, but hes doing it in a sly and mysterious way. By doing this I think he makes sure that the brothers appreciate the charity more. Cause if he reveals that he's jacob and gives them lots of food, then they'll kind of take it for granted like "Oh he's our brother, he should be giving us food".
So yeah thats my two cents on today's bible passage

hope you all have a great day tmrw Smile
hahah i have a field trip tmrw to watch a french movie and go to a french restaurant
and i hate to admit that im actually really really pumped.. TEEHEEEE
i love the yellow schoool bus Smile
Cathy
Cathy
Disposable

Number of posts : 401

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down