Always Worship
Very Happy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Always Worship
Very Happy
Always Worship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Being in Shape is a Spiritual Discipline - Wendesday

+6
jeremy k.
Audrey Jong
John Kim
Jess Kim
julie.ro
Pa Ta Rick
10 posters

Go down

Being in Shape is a Spiritual Discipline - Wendesday Empty Being in Shape is a Spiritual Discipline - Wendesday

Post  Pa Ta Rick Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:11 am

Keeping your body in shape is a spiritual discipline. It's not just about losing a few pounds, wanting to live longer, or trying to look nicer.

God created your body, Jesus died for it, the Holy Spirit lives in it, your body is connected to Christ, and it's going to be resurrected one day. When it is, God's going to hold you accountable for how you managed what he gave you.

My body is connected to the body of Christ -- "Don't you know that your bodies are a part of Christ's ?body?? So should I take a part of Christ's ?body? and make it part of a prostitute? Absolutely not!" (1 Corinthians 6:15 HCSB) God considers sins against the body to be in a special class because your body is connected to the body of Christ.

The Holy Spirit lives in my body - "Don't you know that your body is a sanctuary of the Holy Spirit who is in you ." (1 Corinthians 6:19 HCSB) Your body is God's temple. Would you ever consider vandalizing a temple? When you don't take care of your body, you are vandalizing God's temple.

Jesus bought my body on the cross - " You were bought at a price. Therefore glorify God in your body." (1 Corinthians 6:20 HCSB) If you want to know how much you're worth, look at the cross. Jesus with his hands outstretched says, "This is how much you're worth to me. You're worth dying for." You are infinitely valuable.
Pa Ta Rick
Pa Ta Rick
Admin

Number of posts : 409
Birthday : Snitching Since 1945. I'm a monk.
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Back to top Go down

Being in Shape is a Spiritual Discipline - Wendesday Empty Re: Being in Shape is a Spiritual Discipline - Wendesday

Post  julie.ro Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:32 am

Oh wow, the verses in the devotion today, are the exact same ones I used yesterday. Rolling Eyes 
So this is an elaboration of yesterday's topic: respect your body, but more along the lines of "be fit".
This devotional says that "God's going to hold you accountable for how you managed what he gave you" which could be both physical attributes and gifts that we may have. I think that sentence really struck a chord with me, because I always surmised that our spirit and how much our spiritual growth amounted to by the end of our lives was the most important, rather than how we have used what God has given each of us.

Like yesterday's devotional (and today's also) points out, our bodies are like holy and basically, God's property. Thus, we shouldn't neglect or cause our physical body harm, because in doing so, we are also harming the holy temple in us. But today's devotion is encouraging us to keep fit, and-- come on, I wouldn't exactly want to show up in heaven in the worst shape. Keeping fit physically is important, but also keeping fit spiritually is just as important, because what is the purpose of having a great temple, but no Holy Spirit to occupy it?

John 2:19-21
19 Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days.”
20 They replied, “It has taken forty-six years to build this temple, and you are going to raise it in three days?” 21 But the temple he had spoken of was his body

TEEHEE
julie.ro
julie.ro
minion

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2013-09-06

Back to top Go down

Being in Shape is a Spiritual Discipline - Wendesday Empty *WEDNESDAY* <-- just saying

Post  Jess Kim Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:38 pm

lol! i said the whole staying fit is a spiritual discipline in my last devo xD its a little terrifying to think about how God is going to hold me accountable for how i treated what he gave me (my body) because I ingest awful things a lot more frequently than i should. Shocked ahhh now im scared... this is good motivation to get me off my butt because ive only ever though about not living healthy as something that's bad for MYSELF; I've never though about it being something bad in God's eyes. I truly believe that being fit is a spiritual discipline because its just so hard for me to roll off my bed, change into sweat proof clothes and actually commit physical activity. its like devos in a sense- its hard to start but once you start it gets easier to maintain- but if you stop its extremely hard to start again. except exercise and diets are just about a billion times harder.

*on a completely unrelated note* if anyone is really bored and wants to see an adorable, really sweet video --> http://www.godvine.com/You-Need-to-Hear-What-a-Little-Girl-Says-About-Her-Brother-With-Down-Syndrome-4188.html <-- (someone shared this on facebook and i had nothing to do so i watched it and died of adorableness rendeer and yes, the site is called godvine and im really hoping this isnt an attempted godly spin on the 'vine' app...)

Jess Kim
minion

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2013-08-26

Back to top Go down

Being in Shape is a Spiritual Discipline - Wendesday Empty Re: Being in Shape is a Spiritual Discipline - Wendesday

Post  John Kim Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:16 pm

This devo is the same idea as yesterday's devo, about taking good care of your body and recognizing the importance of it. I feel that this is more related in terms of keeping your body in shape, not just physically, but spiritually as well. We never really think about our bodies as something we must maintain and keep in shape in order to please God, but as it is said in the Bible, our bodies are all a part of the sanctuary of the Holy Spirit that is living in us, we are a part of God's temple. We should honor God's temple and not abuse it, and that means honoring our bodies and not abusing its purposes.

I'm on the same boat as Jessie and probably a lot of you guys as well, in the sense that I love food. And sometimes I don't realize when to stop eating LOL, and it's really easy for me to take advantage of my body like that. Of course this is a bad habit that I try to realize and fix, but it's not something that can be changed so easily. We all need to remember that our bodies are a part of Christ, and they will be judged just as our spirits are. So keeping this in mind, we should have the mentality to please God and ask ourselves this: What do I need to do in order to please God?

Romans 12:1-2
12 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro afro 

John Kim
minion

Number of posts : 45

Back to top Go down

Post  Audrey Jong Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:39 pm

God granted all of us life in this body that he custom made for you.
It's a gift so special, unique and perfectly planned for you that it must be used for the right purpose. But as humans, we all sin. While we should be honouring our creater, people will "vadalize" his work all the time. Sinning physically is more noticeable to us than verbally. We need to be very cautious of our words. They pierce like a sword and it says in the bible that it is not possible to have both pure and dirty water flow from a pipe. Be watchful and reflect God's goodness through your actions and words.

I was so ill today, I've actually lost most of my voice... Shocked 
~Audrey~
Audrey Jong
Audrey Jong
Disposable

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  jeremy k. Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:25 am

Haha this totally relates to pastor Sam's vid and sermon- anyways taking care of what God has given us is again a form of worshipping God. About two years ago I was really into cross country and track, and I understand that taking care of your body with daily exercise and training is truly a discipline and is not easy. I eventually stopped because my workload was conflicting with practice and meets, but the experience showed me the benefits of being in shape and being physically fit. Ever since then I've been getting less and less fit, so this year I took weight training. The devo assures me that what we do to keep ourselves fit is not only beneficial and pleasing for ourselves, but also is pleasing to God. That's all for my thoughts on this devo- it takes dedication to be physically fit, and doing so is a spiritual discline that worships God.

jeremy k.
minion

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2013-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post  jessieekimm Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:28 am

Same thing as yesterday really - & it also says in the bible somewhere (don't remember exactly) that the lazy are bound to be unsuccessful - something like that.

For me, I actually eat a lot too - much more than most girls & some guys my age & much more than it appears. However, I do a lot of sports & activities such as dance, basketball, volleyball, skipping (jump rope), cross county and track&field so I am fit. However when I'm not movin around I am so lazy & sometimes I can be just so unhealthy.

So when this topic kind of made me think about what I'm eating & putting into my body... Lately because I'm moving I've been having so much take out ... Probably not all that great for my body :/

jessieekimm

Number of posts : 8
Birthday : 2000 - I'm the younger Jessie Kim
Registration date : 2013-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa Ta Rick Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:54 am

Whenever someone reminds me that it is important to keep our bodies in shape and in good condition i totally agree with them.
I remember someone saying, treat your bodies like its God's body because God created ALL OF US IN HIS IMAGE.
EAch and every one of us represent God physically in some sort of way and he created all of us as his prized sons and daughters. We should always remind this to ourselves whenever we feel discouraged or self conscious of ourselves. We are all beautiful so there is no point in being discouraged by your looks. People may bully you and say funny things about you but just ignore them because who cares? you'll probably never see them again after high school.
I really like how it says Jesus bought my body on the cross therefore glorify God in your body. Our bodies are priceless and nothing can ever buy our bodies.
We should ALWAYS rememebr that our bodies are important and we are all beautiful.
have a good night folks
Pa Ta Rick
Pa Ta Rick
Admin

Number of posts : 409
Birthday : Snitching Since 1945. I'm a monk.
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Eunwoo Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:50 am

Wow I fell asleep and forgot to post this ._.

I don't know if what this devo says is directly related to the phrase "spiritual discipline", but maintaining your body well can definitely be seen as a spiritual discipline if we do so in order to glorify God.

The main thing that stood out to me was similar to something I mentioned yesterday. When Jesus died on the cross, he paid the price of our lives, and as the Holy Spirit came within us, we no longer were our own selves, but rather our bodies became a temple of the Holy Spirit. And it comes straight out of the bible in 1 Corinthians 6:19-20.
Verse 20 ends with an application command,"Therefore honor God with your body."

Personally, I think that something I really need to work on is getting more sleep. While I can't change that I have to get up early in the morning (if only I could...), I can sleep earlier. But unfortunately it's become habitual for me to sleep late and be a little tired for most of the day.

We are all parts of the body of Christ, and so we need to make sure that we can properly function as the parts that we are meant to be. If someone is called to help build a church building overseas but can't move a block, they are not properly functioning. Manage the body that was valuable enough for Jesus to be crucified and honor God with a healthy, well-functioning body.

Eunwoo
minion

Number of posts : 45

Back to top Go down

Post  michellee. Fri Nov 08, 2013 2:37 am

To be honest for me personally, I never thought about my body being in some sort of parallel with my relationship with God. I never considered taking good care of it (e.g. by sleeping early, eating well, exercising, etc.), would glorify God. However, I'm slowly starting to see the correlation between how I treat my physical body and taking care of what God has given me.
Most of the time, I'm constantly comparing other people to myself, and therefore find no respect in what God has given me. I'm starting to see that this could be somewhat of a sign of disrespect and an insult to God. God formed our bodies with care, time, attentiveness, and most importantly, with love. Not only that, but God also had bought our bodies at the expense of His Son.
I feel with keeping all this context in mind, it gives a whole new dimension of taking care of ourselves. When we take care of ourselves properly with God's intentions, then we are glorifying God through our body, we are showing we understand the value of what He has given to us.
Be grateful for what you have, and continuously give thanks to God.

16 Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you?
(1 Corinthians 3:16 ESV)

20 for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.
(1 Corinthians 6:20 ESV)
michellee.
michellee.
minion

Number of posts : 74
Birthday : 13/03 - I smell like laundry.
Registration date : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel Kim Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:06 am

Just like the previous devotion, you should take care of your body. If you vandalize it with dirty actions, you are vandalizing God's temple. God created our body, which has the Holy spirit living in it. So, you should keep your body clean, as you are keeping God's temple clean. Then, Jesus will know that you were worth sacrificing for.

Daniel Kim
minion

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2013-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down