Always Worship
Very Happy

See From God's Point-of-View - September 18, 2013

Go down

See From God's Point-of-View - September 18, 2013

Post  James on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:50 am

Hebrews 5:14
14 But solid food is for the mature, for those who have their powers of discernment trained by constant practice to distinguish good from evil.

Psalm 103:7
7 He made known his ways to Moses, his acts to the people of Israel.

Perspective is understanding something because you see it from a larger frame of reference. It is the ability to perceive how things are interrelated and then judge their comparative importance.

And, for believers, it means seeing life from God's point-of-view. In the Bible, the words "understanding," "wisdom," and "discernment" all have to do with perspective. The opposite of perspective is "hardness of heart," "blinded" and "dullness."

Perspective answers the "Why?" questions of life. Psalm 103:7 says, "He (God) made known his ways to Moses, his deeds to the people of Israel." The people of Israel got to see what God did, but Moses got to understand why God did it.

This is the difference between knowledge and perspective. Knowledge is learning what God has said and done. Perspective is understanding why God said it or did it. Having perspective is evidence of spiritual maturity.
James
Disposable

Number of posts : 411
Birthday : No one cares about my birthday. I like kids.
Registration date : 2011-09-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: See From God's Point-of-View - September 18, 2013

Post  Jess Kim on Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:40 pm

It helps me to think about God like this: if you've ever been in a plane, when you look down you see all the land below you in a sort of patchwork quilt pattern. You see where all the roads go, with the tiny little cars that looks like ants. You see all the gigantic lakes as a basketball sized blue spot on the landscape. We are the tiny little confused humans on earth and God is watching over us from above- seeing where everything leads even when we can't see it from our perspective. If we were lost in the middle of the ocean and God is above us and can see all ends of the ocean- wouldn't it be wise to listen to what he says instead of blindly trying to swim your way to shore? Life is like the ocean and God us trying to lead us out and towards him. We just have to listen and obey. It's important to know at all times that God never wants to lead you to destruction and he is all-knowing and powerful. Idk, I may just be rambling at this point. Honestly I think I just made myself confused so I'm going to stop now hehe. Overall what I was trying to say is that God has the best perspective over our lives and we should try and see things from his point of view? oh no. okay im done

Jess Kim
minion

Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2013-08-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DunNo on Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:11 pm

I think there are two ways to look at the world. We can see it in a worldly way, or in a holy way. Looking at it in the former is easy, the world is all around us. Even being wise in a worldly way is different from being wise they way the devo describes. Looking at it from God's POV, the holy way, is really difficult however. Sometimes, in conversation with older, wiser people with more experience, I feel like a kid again, awed by the amount of insight they have in certain things. Yet, God's POV goes way further than that. I really like the first verse in the devo in relation to this topic, because really, who are we but children? Even the oldest of us still have some developing to do and if you ask parents, grandparents, etc, they're all still learning as they go. The boundaries are almost nonexistent and with the constant practice and effort, it is possible to continue to develop and hone your senses tuned to God's. I remember in NYC for missions, a main point that kept floating around was that in a big lights, big city kinda place, how do we focus on the not-so-bright spots. I think during that time, I percieved things in a way a lot more closer to the way God does than an average tourist would per se. That being said, I don't think this devo is even only about knowledge and wisdom, but about how we see the things that God sees. Always pray for Him to open your eyes to the things normally unseen; Awareness of a problem is the first step in fixing it.
DunNo
minion

Number of posts : 281
Birthday : I'm Germs, a maggot.
Registration date : 2011-01-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jeremy k. on Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:38 pm

After reading or learning about something related to God and His work, the next step is to apply it in life. A couple years ago I was struggling to distinguish what I should participate in, in my daily life. All my friends were swearing and making inappropriate or degrading jokes, shouldn't I try to fit in and join them? Questions like these were on my mind as I had trouble seeing the world through Godly eyes. I remember even in middle school when there was a kid that everyone picked on, I really am disappointed in myself for this but I vividly remember joining the large majority of the class and picking on him as well. Thankfully, God has worked in my life to grow me in maturity and to gain an understanding as to what it means to see the world through God's perspective. He fills me with guilt when I make bad choices but always offers a way out and teaches me a lesson/ His Holy Spirit in my heart guides me away from evil and draws me more and more to God. As a result, it is far easier for me to separate what is wrong and right and what I should participate in or avoid. Trying to view the world through God's perspective has encouraged me to pick encouraging and God-loving friends as well as helping me grow in maturity.

jeremy k.
minion

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2013-08-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kim on Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:11 am

I think a lot of the time we as Christians focus solely on trying to gain knowledge of God and try to become more like him. But what I think is also very important and is forgotten a lot of the time is having perspective of things. Having knowledge is a key part in growing in faith and becoming closer to God, but having perspective also helps contribute greatly to those things. Having perspective helps you better understand some of the questions you may have and also help you understand God's point of view and His way of thinking.

What we should realize is that there is a difference between having knowledge and having perspective. Knowledge is learning what God says and does, and that is only half of what you should know. Perspective is realizing and knowing why God says and does the things he says and does. So we should always try and grow our knowledge of God, but not only focus on that but on perspective as well in order to better understand Him.

John Kim
minion

Number of posts : 45

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  michellee. on Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:23 am

James wrote:Having perspective is evidence of spiritual maturity.
I think this last part of the devotional spoke to me the most, primarily due to the fact that I agree with it immensely.
I feel like today there are so many misunderstood people in the world, due to the amount of biased, harsh judgment people face on a daily basis. We also tend to judge as people as well, we say weíll try not to, but sometimes it just happens. Only when we attempt to try to understand a situation, topic, idea etc. from someone else's point of view, we can see the meaning of it to that particular person.
If we only try to understand things from our own perspective, we become selfish and probably frustrated because we don't understand ANYTHING. Instead we misinterpret and miscalculate everything which can prove to be troubling. Seeing it from God's point-of-view is the complete opposite of our confined, prejudiced point-of-view.
Godís perspective is probably the best way to see life, and understand it. When we try to understand things from Godís perspective the eyes of our heart begin to open. We notice things that we could not have noticed if it was just from our own monocular perspective. But when we see from Godís perspective, everything seems different, our understanding begins to develop, and so does our spiritual maturity. It takes spiritual maturity to be able to perceive things from Godís perspective, rather than if we were to only see things from our own perspective.
Furthermore, I feel that when we try to understand things from someoneís else perspective, it not only gives us insight, spiritual maturity, and growth, but most of all it gives us humbleness. We learn that things don't always happen how we see it, or how we think it should be. Things happen according to God and what He knows, and we learn that things are understood through His perspective. I think that only when we see it from God's perspective, our sense life will be renewed.

2 turning your ear to wisdom
† †and applying your heart to understandingó
3 indeed, if you call out for insight
† †and cry aloud for understanding,
4 and if you look for it as for silver
† †and search for it as for hidden treasure,
5 then you will understand the fear of the Lord
† †and find the knowledge of God.
Proverbs 2:2-5

Last edited by michellee. on Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total
michellee.
minion

Number of posts : 74
Birthday : 13/03 - I smell like laundry.
Registration date : 2013-02-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa Ta Rick on Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:26 am

I love how this devo pointed out that we can have two different mind sets. This devo shows that theres the perspective mindset and the knowledge mindset, but obviously there are more.

I for one, have been through many different mindsets. The best one is the perspective mindset where you understand what God is doing and you know the reason for what you are doing. I remember I'd sometimes have the mindset of just letting God do whatever he wanted. Either I was to focused on something else or just plain lazy, I'd just accept whatever God threw at me. I didn't bother try and understand what He was doing but I'd be like okay whatever I'll take it. But after reading this, I'd like to try my best to always try and understand what God wants me to do.

I can relate this to learning. You can't just accept what you learn and be like okay whatever... You have to understand the concept and the reasoning behind all the knowledge to be able to apply to other things and think outside the box. therefore if we can understand what God wants us to do, we can see outside of the box. Of course, it isn't always easy to understand what God may be doing in your life. But times like those just pray and pray =)

gnite guyzzz
Pa Ta Rick
Admin

Number of posts : 409
Birthday : Snitching Since 1945. I'm a monk.
Registration date : 2011-09-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  julie.ro on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:18 am

The devotion made me think a lot today, and questions like "What knowledge and/or perspective do I have about God and the work he has done?" and "Can I understand what ans why God did this?" popped up.

I think there's a fine (but distinct) line between the two concepts. We all see God's work in people, around us and we LIVE God's work by breathing and living. But can we fully understand it all? Can we see things from God's perspective and how he sees us? I like Jessie's example of our view of the world when we're midair on an airplane, how we see the people above and all the land so easily. God is so capable of everything, and understanding what he can do and how he did it, really is the next step of spiritual maturity.

I saw this bible verse today; intrigued me a lot and it related to this week's devo concept so here it is.

Psalm 139:1-4
1 O LORD, you have searched me and you know me. 2 You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. 3 You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. 4 Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely, O LORD.

As always, have faith!
julie.ro
minion

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2013-09-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  James on Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:26 am

I got 97 on math test zo happy righ nao

Acknowledging God's intentions gives us strength and reassurance. It takes away our doubts and allows us to leave everything on the line, knowing what God knows. We become holy, as we can feel God's true feelings once we understand why something is done. Knowing the purpose behind his plans is definitely beneficial, so we could implement it to shine God's true intentions, as salt and light. We could help others see what we see, when they can't see what God sees. Because what we see is what God sees. omggggggg. It even allows us to be flexible with God, so that we may be stretched and pulled for our own good. He overflows our "cup" with his intentions so we can eventually take in more, to glorify His kingdom.

Just alittle insight I got while reading this devo, It made me realize when our parents tell us to do something without the reason. Rather than doing something we were told to do, isn't it much easier to fulfill that task, knowing the reasoning behind it? Rather than "mom made me do it", it seems that we'd be doing what we were told whole-heartedly. "I'm doing this because..."

James
Disposable

Number of posts : 411
Birthday : No one cares about my birthday. I like kids.
Registration date : 2011-09-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Audrey Jong on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:22 am

Sorry that I'm posting so late, I had a big group project to finish tonight but I'm finally done! Very Happy

There are times where gid has put is in an uncomfortable or unfavourable situation and we can't seem to understand why. After all, God does things for a reason.
It may not be too obvious now, but your perspective may be off. We need to sometimes think differently so that we can see God's intentions. Most only think of themselves and worry about how they will be affected by everything that happens.
Also, understanding comes with spiritual maturity. Change that point of view and think differently and keep in mind others instead of complaining with frustration.

~Audrey~
Audrey Jong
Disposable

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-09-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eunwoo on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:10 pm

When we look at things from our own perspective, we tend to automatically think selfishly and how things will affect us in a gain/loss sense, mainly because that's all we really know. But God sees and knows everything that goes on in the world, and He makes things happen based on what would be the best way to do it.

When God tells us to do something, we could just take it blindly and do it for the sake of doing it, or we can try to understand why we are doing what we are doing and why God asked us to do it by looking at the situation through God's eyes. If we understand the true reason why, since God is always good and therefore his actions and commands are good also, we will be driven to do what we do to the best of our ability and have a new found sense of motivation and determination.

This also applies when your life takes an unexpected turn and you don't see how this can be a good thing. Though we see only a narrow path, when we try to understand it from God's viewpoint, it will tend to makea lot more sense. Therefore trust in God and His decisions because what may seem right to us isn't always the right path.

Eunwoo
minion

Number of posts : 45

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down