Always Worship
Very Happy

Spiritual Growth Takes Time - September 12, 2013

Go down

Spiritual Growth Takes Time - September 12, 2013

Post  Pa Ta Rick on Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:22 am

Philippians 1:6
6 And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.

It takes years for us to grow to adulthood, and it takes a full season for fruit to mature and ripen. The same is true for the fruit of the Spirit. The development of Christlike character cannot be rushed.

When you try to ripen fruit quickly, it loses its flavor.

While we worry about how fast we grow, God is concerned about how strong we grow. God views our lives from and for eternity, so he is never in a hurry.

The moment you open yourself to Christ, Jesus begins to work in your life. You may think you have surrendered all your life to him, but the truth is, there is a lot to your life that you aren't even conscious of. You can only give God as much of you as you understand at that moment. That's okay.

Once Jesus begins to work, he take over more and more of your life until all of your is completely his. There will be struggles and battles, but the outcome will never be in doubt. God has promised that "he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion." (Philippians 1:6, NIV)
Pa Ta Rick
Admin

Number of posts : 409
Birthday : Snitching Since 1945. I'm a monk.
Registration date : 2011-09-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Spiritual Growth Takes Time - September 12, 2013

Post  Pa Ta Rick on Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:01 am

I cannot agree more to this devotional, about a year ago i thought that i was giving my all to Jesus than i realized today you can always give Jesus your all but you can always grow and give him more.
Everyone grows differently and matures at a different pace and it isnt about how fast we grow, its about how strong we grow and the experiences we gain from growing. It is impossible to grow quickly and it isnt good wanting to grow quickily.
Pa Ta Rick
Admin

Number of posts : 409
Birthday : Snitching Since 1945. I'm a monk.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jaake kwon on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:31 am

Iunno, I feel like this one sort of talks about the way we hurry to become a Christian because we're called Christians.

Right now, if anything, I think we can call ourselves broken Christians. As much as we have perfections and whatnot, we have all these defects and some stuff are stopping us from really approaching God and asking for the right way, things like: pride, shame, maybe other sins. Point is, we hurry to become like Jesus because we're called Christians, but we forget to remember that we put Jesus and God on a pedal stool because they are above us. While Jesus is the perfect Christian, and he provides all these expectations which are practical to become a perfect Christian, I feel that us trying to rush this goal immediately under the pretense that "we have practical milestones" is total nuts. We have to realize that we're not walking the fine line between holy and human, and that for whatever we lack within ourselves, we can and SHOULD turn to Jesus, rather than being frustrated at ourselves for not being a "true, by the book Christian."

But yeah, that's about it :/
jaake kwon
Disposable

Number of posts : 338
Birthday : 7.21
Registration date : 2011-10-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  James on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:56 am

Hah, just like cooking sang gyp sal, the slower you cook, it becomes more succulent. Rome wasn't built in a day. Pastor Dan gave the illustration on Saturday talking about Sarah's friend and her rapid growth of faith. He reminded us that we have to pace ourselves, so that we don't burn out spiritually. Although we might have a minor set-back towards our faith, it doesn't matter as long as we make that extra 2 steps to account for the set-back. Even though our growth may not be the fastest, it's better for it to be steady, rather than inconsistent. God's patience does give us reassurance, as He's always waiting on the other side with open arms.

Personally, sometimes I don't know if I'm doing too much or too little for my relationship for God. I'm afraid of burning out, but I feel as if sometimes I could do a little more. I'm more than sure I'm not the only one..
James
Disposable

Number of posts : 411
Birthday : No one cares about my birthday. I like kids.
Registration date : 2011-09-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  julie.ro on Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:15 pm

Only James would refer this devotion to food, more specifically, samgyupsal Rolling Eyes 

This devotion pretty much said it all: God is not looking for how fast you can become a devout Christian. He's looking more for how strong we are as Christians. We shouldn't feel rushed and go with the flow with the Holy Spirit. But, we should also make sure we're not led astray or that we're slowly declining.

Isaiah 40:31
31 But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint.
julie.ro
minion

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2013-09-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kim on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:45 pm

This devo in my opinion is mainly focused on gradual improvement instead of rushing to become closer to God. God does not rank your progress based on speed, He has all of the patience in the world. You do not have to worry about trying to become closer to God and grow spiritually with Him as soon as possible, because a little improvement every day is better than struggling to become closer to Him just in the blink of an eye. All that we have to do is accept Christ into our lives, and from then on He will guide you to the right path. You can only give so much to Him because of your lack of knowledge of Him, but that is okay! We just have to know that everyone has a different pace of growing in faith and that it is okay!

John Kim
minion

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2013-08-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DunNo on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:07 am

idk about the analogy of the fruit they used, but yaknow when you grill chicken, you have to grill it at the right temp, or the outside will be seared and the inside will be raw? That's a relatable analogy for me LOL. But yea, it's a good devo in that there are times when I've personally tried to take shortcuts regarding my spiritual health, but the bigger they are, the harder they fall. In gym a couple years ago, we saw charts of dopamine levels of drug users and basically, your first rush is like sky-high, but later it goes that far down below average levels and continues to do that until it can regulate itself again. In the same way, if we're looking for God as some sort of spiritual "rush," it may not be the best way to approach things. Rather than looking for a shortcut to God, look for ways to stabilize the relationship you have. Retreats are great as a step up, but they shouldn't be viewed as a one-weekend high. There's a lot of good that comes from building faith one step at a time rather than in leaps. Find solid footing in your journey, prepare for the next step, and only when you're ready should you take the next step.

LOL and omg patrick, your devos are so wastee, but then again, 7am
DunNo
minion

Number of posts : 281
Birthday : I'm Germs, a maggot.
Registration date : 2011-01-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Oh on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:08 am

Like everyone else, I basically got the message that we shouldn't rush our relationship with God.

I think God would much rather you have a very slow and troubled walk with him because that gives him time to work in you whereas if you are absolutely in sync with God and there's no trouble, then what is he supposed to do? You're already the "perfect Christian" so he no longer has to worry about you.

And remember, all those great people in the Bible had to deal with a lot of hardships before doing amazing things for God's name.
Take Paul (Formerly Saul) for example! He hated Jesus and everyone who believed in Jesus! He was brutal and did everything he could to make sure they were persecuted. That is until Jesus came to him and changed his life. He was specifically called by the Lord and yes it took time but it still happened!
It's like that quote "Good things come to those who wait!"
goodnight~!
Sarah Oh
minion

Number of posts : 251

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jeremy k. on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:22 am

A way I can relate to this devo is thee analogy of playing a sport. Even Jordan did not just pick up a ball and start draining baskets, he had to work over a long period of time to truly mature in his sport. Likewise the process of spiritual growth is long-term as we continually learn more about God each day. As we experience Him through prayer, worship, fellowship, devos, or even simple day to day activities such as studying, we slowly grow and mature as a Christian. As the devo pointed out it is not a quick process but one that gradually unfolds over our time with God.

jeremy k.
minion

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2013-08-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eunwoo on Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:35 am

I think that especially in this generation and the advancement of technology, we want everything to be fast. But our lives are not actions or tasks, they're processes.

I sometimes thought of our walk as Christians to be like a really long treadmill. When we do nothing, instead of staying the the same position we get farther from God (because we are naturally drawn to the world and such), and when we slowly walk, though it may seem like we're making progress because we keep taking steps, we aren't really trying to get closer to God, so we stay in relatively the same position.
I used to think that we could just sprint to God and be there with him but when I think about it now, I realize that I underestimated the length of the treadmill. Since it is so long, sprinting would only tire us out and by the time we recover, we might be further away than when we started.
So what im trying to say is that we shouldn't try to sprint there, but we should keep a good pace, getting stronger along the way.

Always be looking for where you should make your next step.

Eunwoo
minion

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2013-08-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Audrey Jong on Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:19 am

We can't rush our growth. There's so much detail he puts when he molds you throughout time.
Eventhough this is true, we still need to be trying to learn and grow each and everyday. As said in the devo, You can only give God as much as you understand at that moment.
Try your best to always be open to God and let him work through you. He knows what he is doing so trust in him.

Sorry I didn't post this yesterday...
~Audrey~
Audrey Jong
Disposable

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-09-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  michellee. on Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:57 am

You can't rush anything, especially growth because things take time. If we want to grow in our faith to our best extent, we have to realize that it's an accumulation of baby steps, instead of one gigantic leap. If we rush things, I feel like that will create gaps in our faith and it won't be as strong and confident as it should be. Taking our time, and realizing that it's a slow process, but it'll still bring results can help us know that we'll look back in the future and see how far we've come. We just have to be patient.
"Some quit due to slow progress. Never grasping the fact that slow progress is progress."
Significant change can be seen over time, we have to trust that when we work hard and do things to our best extent in everything we do especially our faith will help us progress towards what we want to become or achieve. When we seem like our faith is going no where, maybe there are some places in our lives that we can reflect upon and think of ways to improve if that spot in our life requires it.
I don't think that there's a shortcut or a highway option to build strong faith. Small steps might not seem like much, but eventually, in the future, they'll show a significantly amazing difference.

5 May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you the same attitude of mind toward each other that Christ Jesus had, 6 so that with one mind and one voice you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Romans 15:5-6

12 Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.
Romans 12:12

8 The end of a matter is better than its beginning,
   and patience is better than pride.
Ecclesiastes 7:8
michellee.
minion

Number of posts : 74
Birthday : 13/03 - I smell like laundry.
Registration date : 2013-02-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down