Always Worship
Very Happy

Hopelessness Can Lead to Faith - September 11, 2013

Go down

Hopelessness Can Lead to Faith - September 11, 2013

Post  Pa Ta Rick on Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:22 am

Psalm 116:10
10 I believed, even when I spoke: “I am greatly afflicted”;

Did you know that admitting your hopelessness to God can be a statement of faith? Trusting God but feeling despair at the same time, David wrote, "I believed, so I said, "I am completely ruined!'" (Psalm 116:10 NCV)

This sounds like a contradiction: I trust God, but I'm wiped out! David's frankness actually reveals deep faith: First, he believed in God. Second, he believed God would listen to his prayer. Third, he believed God would let him say what he felt and still love him.

Focus on who God is - his unchanging nature. Regardless of circumstances and how you feel, hang on to God's unchanging character. Remind yourself what you know to be eternally true about God: He is good, he loves me, he is with me, he knows what I'm going through, he cares, and he has a good plan for my life. Raymond Edman said, "Never doubt in the dark what God told you in the light."

So don't be troubled by trouble. Circumstances cannot change the character of God. God's grace is still in full force; he is still for you, even when you don't feel it.
Pa Ta Rick
Admin

Number of posts : 409
Birthday : Snitching Since 1945. I'm a monk.
Registration date : 2011-09-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hopelessness Can Lead to Faith - September 11, 2013

Post  Pa Ta Rick on Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:27 am

Whenever we are struggling and going through hard times, we should put our faith to God.
We are already struggling and you know that you will struggle by yourself so why not ask help from God.
Have some faith in God and believe what you pray to him. Of course no one can tell when God will answer your prayer but He will when He sees that the time is right.

"Never doubt in the dark what God told you in the light."
this really stood out to me because the way I interpreted this was that we may sometimes deceive ourselves. We believe and have faith when everything is fine and when the struggles come in, we start to doubt.
We should always remind ourselves that God has a reason and should always have faith not doubt

that is all
Pa Ta Rick
Admin

Number of posts : 409
Birthday : Snitching Since 1945. I'm a monk.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  James on Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:59 am

Stating how lost we are without God is surrendering ourselves. Giving everything up because we'll never finish our spiritual journey without God. It shows how dependent we are, as we seek guidance and having his light be a lamp to our feet, just as pastor Dan explicitly described it to us. He provides us direction and meaning to our path, walking through that dark valley with faith onto God.

"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me." Luke 9:23

To me, denying ourselves meant to deny our sinful nature that we originally live in and to be born again with a life of Christ. Taking up the cross meaning that we'll endure similar pain and struggles that Jesus felt as he came onto earth in the form of a man. And as that sanctification process continues, he has empathy towards each and everyone of us while leading us to salvation.
James
Disposable

Number of posts : 411
Birthday : No one cares about my birthday. I like kids.
Registration date : 2011-09-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kim on Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:30 pm

One thing we should always remember and know without hesitation is God's unchanging love for us. No matter what situation or circumstances we are in, His unchanging nature will never let us down. There will be times when we forget about His love and question and doubt if He truly is there, but we should always know that He was, is and always will be there for us.

Let's take David for example. He was in a time of need, and throughout the whole process he did not doubt God once. In fact, David always believed in God, believed that his prayer would be heard by God, and believed God would let him express his feelings to Him. That is something we should always remember, regardless of the circumstances. So the next time you have a conversation with God, have no doubts, put everything else aside, and just have faith in Him. Pray to him whole-heartedly, sing to Him with all of your heart, mind and spirit, and always try to keep Him in mind in your day. It will make a big difference in your life in the long run.

John Kim
minion

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2013-08-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jeremy k. on Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:26 pm

I've personally experienced this in my life especially when our family was moving from one country to another. Because of all the unknowns: if you would enjoy your new school, your new place to call home, were you going to make good friends, etc, I have prayed many prayers telling God that I need Him to guide and help me through these tough times. Although we are not in control, we have a God who is. In my understanding this is how we proclaim our faith to God in rough times or when we feel hopeless. When we admit to Him that we can not go through the process alone, we proclaim that God is far more powerful than we are and that He is the only one who can help us.

jeremy k.
minion

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2013-08-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Oh on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:21 am

There is an ocean of a difference between admitting your hopelessness and complaining to God about your life.
Don't be afraid to really let out your pain in front of the Lord because probably to him, he's so glad to know that you trust him enough to tell him your deepest sorrows (Although he already knows what's happening). I mean, you wouldn't just go up to a stranger and tell them things like that right?
sorry it's short :/
Sarah Oh
minion

Number of posts : 251

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DunNo on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:27 am

We seek God when we're at our weakest. It's only natural. That's why Jesus said the stuff about the rich man and the camel and the needles eye and whatnot. When we have everything, where in our heart does God have room to reside? And then, it's also natural that we are angry when things don't go our way. But rather than be angry at God, the attitude we should have is an attitude of desperation. Though the devo points out that it's alright to express brokenness, it's different from a spiteful attitude.

man i am like not feeling this devo... LOL
whatevz yo. it was pree straightforward... dunno what else to say...
DunNo
minion

Number of posts : 281
Birthday : I'm Germs, a maggot.
Registration date : 2011-01-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Audrey Jong on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:38 am

Admitting what kind of shape you're at currently is not wrong, God wants us to be open with him.
Confessing that you're in a bad position is not complaining, it can be surrendering. When we recognize where we are and be honest to God about it, believe it or not, you are one step forward. Surrendering itself is a sign that you've matured and are able to do something about it to change yourself for the better.
In of you are willing to change, God is there and will gladly support you.
Eventually, you will have become so muh stronger in faith and are able to spot different things and see things differently than you have before when you were weaker in faith.
Have an honest and open heart to yourself God and others.

~Audrey~
Audrey Jong
Disposable

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-09-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jaake kwon on Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:42 am

I guess this is sort of one to remind me of the purpose of Church.

To take an understanding of this, if we look back on the past, the overpowering demographic of the Church has always been the weak and broken. People came to seek Jesus to fill in for what anything else can't. I guess what I'm getting at is that if we come to Church with all these perfections, we're really not being involved in the essence of Church. Sure if you're strong in your faith, that's a great thing and you should keep coming to Church for that. Nevertheless, when at Church we should never have any negative feeling towards showing our flaws. The Church has traditionally always been and still is to this day; a hospital for the broken. That being said, you can't just be haphazard and have no self restraint when you come to Church, but you have to make a conscious effort to change your flaws and make yourself better.

*In short; don't come to Church with pride but humility. Come to Church BECAUSE you recognize the variable that's missing in your expression can only be filled in by Jesus Christ :/
jaake kwon
Disposable

Number of posts : 338
Birthday : 7.21
Registration date : 2011-10-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eunwoo on Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:30 am

Personally I think that the title is a little off from what the devo is saying.
Hopelessness leading to faith would be about a person who has nothing and therefore since he/she has nothing to lose, they put all their faith in God. But I feel this devo is talking about having faith during times of hopelessness, which implies that the person already has some faith in God and the message would be to try to keep that faith going during those times.

But anyways, there's no point in hiding what we feel from God so we might as well tell him when we're struggling in life. When we do this, we should have the right mindset. Not to complain about how difficult our lives are to God but instead knowing that God is who He is and surrendering ourselves to Him. In times of hopelessness, we can either be angry with God and reject Him because it may seem like He is not there when our lives are difficult, or we can acknowledge our complete hopelessness and that our only solution is trusting in God.

Eunwoo
minion

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2013-08-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  michellee. on Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:40 am

I think acknowledging our weakness, our hopelessness, our wariness brings us closer to God reminding us that we're human and we cannot go through these times alone without God. Furthermore, it reminds us the strength of God, His Love, and how He doesn't condemn us if we admit this to Him. Admitting the hopelessness we feel while declaring our faith in God, shows I think more our trust in Him and our process of surrendering all to Him, knowing God is the only one who can bring us out of this hopelessness.
I think it's mostly about surrender, trusting that when you feel at your lowest or weakest, God will take over, and He will work in our lives and help us progress and grow with Him. God sees and knows, our circumstances but He knows that He will not let that define us, and the person we will ultimately become.
We can rely on God and who He is, because things will always change eventually (like our circumstances, problems, etc.), even things that seem permanent, so we can't depend on that, but we can depend on God who is Unchanging and is always for us.

28 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
Matthew 11:28

34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.
Matthew 6:34

31 What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?
Romans 8:31
michellee.
minion

Number of posts : 74
Birthday : 13/03 - I smell like laundry.
Registration date : 2013-02-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down