Always Worship
Very Happy

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Always Worship
Very Happy
Always Worship
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You Were Saved to Serve God - September 5, 2013

+7
Eunwoo
jeremy k.
DunNo
John Kim
jaake kwon
Pa Ta Rick
James
11 posters

Go down

You Were Saved to Serve God - September 5, 2013 Empty You Were Saved to Serve God - September 5, 2013

Post  James Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:15 pm

2 Timothy 1:9
9 who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began,

1 Corinthians 6:20
20 for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.

Romans 12:1
1 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.

1 John 3:14
14 We know that we have passed out of death into life, because we love the brothers. Whoever does not love abides in death.

God redeemed you so you could do his "holy work." You're not saved by service, but you are saved for service.

It cost Jesus his own life to purchase your salvation. The Bible reminds us, "God paid a great price for you. So use your body to honor God." (1 Corinthians 6:20 CEV)

We don't serve God out of guilt or fear or even duty, but out of joy, and deep gratitude for what he's done for us. We owe him our lives. Through salvation our past has been forgiven, our present is given meaning, and our future is secured.

In light of these incredible benefits Paul concluded, "Because of God's great mercy . . . Offer yourselves as a living sacrifice to God, dedicated to his service." (Romans 12:1 TEV)

The apostle John taught that our loving service to others shows that we are truly saved. He said, "Our love for each other proves that we have gone from death to life." (1 John 3:14 CEV)
James
James
Disposable

Number of posts : 411
Birthday : No one cares about my birthday. I like kids.
Registration date : 2011-09-25

Back to top Go down

You Were Saved to Serve God - September 5, 2013 Empty Re: You Were Saved to Serve God - September 5, 2013

Post  James Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:57 am

I think that our lives are in full debt to Him and during our lifetime, we won't be even close, giving back what God gave for us. We're saved by grace, as our sinful nature is so undeserving of a saviour that could withstand and carry the weight of sin from all of us. All in all, it wasn't fair for us to receive Christ. Personally, I feel guilty whenever I mooch a ride/meal/whatever and I feel as if that I should do the same for the same person. However, although it's great to repay them back, God has a different approach. He doesn't necessarily just want us to repay that same person back. Instead, I feel as if he wants us to bless a different person just as we've been blessed ourselves. Serving and blessing others proves to God that we've been privileged to have His son die for us, and that we want to give back to Him. And because we can't even become close to reaching God's standards of a serving/blessing, we give to others.

"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you." John 15:12
For me, this also says, serve each other as I have served you. It was Christ that had done it all! Our actions reflect him, just has he had done himself.
James
James
Disposable

Number of posts : 411
Birthday : No one cares about my birthday. I like kids.
Registration date : 2011-09-25

Back to top Go down

You Were Saved to Serve God - September 5, 2013 Empty Re: You Were Saved to Serve God - September 5, 2013

Post  Pa Ta Rick Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:59 am

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
random black out at 7:30 in the mourning...

Serving God is a option we all have. Some serve God because they feel joy out of it, others feel like they are forced to because other wise theyd feel guiilty. Being on PT we are serving God and it SHOULD NOT BE FORCED. if being on PT feels like a chore to you than that is a serious problem and you should reconsider being on PT. Being on PT should be fun but at the same time it should be hard. We are the role models to the ministry and we should watch our language and our actions. Of course we can fool around and such but we should know when to goof off and when to be in serious mode. I cannot put enough emphasis to the fact that being on praise team is a dedication we have all committed in and if being on PT starts to become dull and it starts to feel like a chore, than talk to someone on PT or a close teacher. Taking a break is always an option but that should be a last resort method.
Talking about dedication, being on PT there are a lot of things you must be committed to such as practicing every week and coming prepared to practice. Daily devotions is a requirement for PT because how do you expect to lead others when you are not growing spiritually yourself? Of course sometimes it feels like devotionals are forced but if you realllly think about it, it takes about 10 minutes to a devotional give or take. So in a full day say we wake up at 7, 8 hours of school, than we have 6 hours to do hw, take a break, whatever. Can we not find 10 minutes in our day to find some peace and quiet and do devotionals? Devos may sometimes feel forced because we do them at the end after we have done everything when we are worn out with everything we did that day. So what im getting at here is find a time in the day where you can just zone out and think.
For those of you who are doing your devos, Great Job keep it up
For the others, ... please
Pa Ta Rick
Pa Ta Rick
Admin

Number of posts : 409
Birthday : Snitching Since 1945. I'm a monk.
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  jaake kwon Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:45 pm

Mmm I see that we have two lenses that we CHOOSE from;
God's salvation was not free,
OR
God's salvation is free but what we do with it is what really defines our fate.

To elaborate on the second *which the devo outlines* as a Christian what are we to do? "Give and Take away". We took from God his Life/He gives to us salvation. In return, we need to seek to give God our Life/He takes our Life. In other words, since God doesn't want a dead body that's premature or whatnot, we give our Life in a sense that our Life is only built to serve God. I guess in a way, it's moreso looking at how our life should be dedicated to paying back our DEBT. God didn't give us a free ticket to Heaven. God pulled us out of hell and we choose where we go from now by choosing whether or not to LIVE a Christian.
jaake kwon
jaake kwon
Disposable

Number of posts : 338
Birthday : 7.21
Registration date : 2011-10-10

Back to top Go down

Post  John Kim Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:04 pm

I think that what we as a praise team and individuals should try to work on is serving God not out of fear and because we are forced to, but out of free will and joy. I feel that a lot of the time in my daily life I do not focus on serving God and devoting my life to him. He saved us for the purpose to serve him, and the least we could do is try to.

"Our love for each other proves that we have gone from death to life." (1 John 3:14 CEV) Like apostle John says, we should live to serve others and love others as yourself to show that we are truly saved.

So what should be the sole purpose and focus in our lives is to serve others and God, because like it says in the devo, you are not saved by service, you are saved FOR service.

John Kim
minion

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2013-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post  DunNo Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:44 pm

God has since the beginning, given us a choice. We can choose to obey him, love him, walk with him, or we can choose to go our own way without God. Although our one purpose is to love and worship God, God has never forced anyones hand. That's why he put the tree of knowledge of good and evil in the garden, so that we still have free will. I think this is echoed in Christ's death. Salvation was costly, but it was never meant to be bounding. We owe God our lives and devotion, yet still, it's our choice. In the end, it's up to each one of us to make our choice, but if glorifying God is your choice, do it with a full heart. Like Patrick mentioned, praise team and devos should never be a chore; Praise is something we do because we choose to. ahah for some reason, this devo kinda put in a way that made it seem like we are bought by salvation and now we're all little robots or gears in a machine playing our part, and though we are part of a greater system, it's not because of obligation, but an unconditional want to serve. So never serve half-heartedly or out of obligation, but out of want and love and a willingness to serve.
DunNo
DunNo
minion

Number of posts : 281
Birthday : I'm Germs, a maggot.
Registration date : 2011-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post  jeremy k. Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:09 am

To me what stuck out the most was our reason for serving and worshipping God. As the devo explained, we should not praise Him because we feel pressured or obliged to but instead we should give Him glory stemming from the joy that He has saved us. To me this is powerful because Jesus paid the ultimate price to save our sinful selves even though we are unworthy. This is something to truly be thankful and joyful about.

jeremy k.
minion

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2013-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post  Eunwoo Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:10 am

What i got out of this devo is that the best way to prove or show something to someone is to let them experience it or lead by example.

For example, you want to spread the word that ice cream is delicious. Even if you tell your friend that ice cream is delicious, they aren't likely to spread the word unless they have experienced it themselves. In the same way, God has saved us and has shown us his endless grace and love and has called us to do the same to the people around us.
Though it was not ours to rightfully receive, God gave us His ice cream, and now that we have experienced how wonderful it is, He wants us to not only spread the word about it, but also to show how good it is to others.

Ice cream aside, I believe that God has shown us His love so that we can show that kind of love to others. And because we have already received it, we can serve others out of joy and gratitude.

Eunwoo
minion

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2013-08-26

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Oh Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:14 am

I tried thinking about this devo but honestly nothing new came to mind :/
Plus everyone above me wrote everything I wanted to write pretty much...sorry!
Sarah Oh
Sarah Oh
minion

Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post  michellee. Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:29 am

Jesus didn't save us because He felt that He was obligated to do, like He had no other choice. Jesus saved us out of unconditional love for sinners He called His own. I think when we serve God, that's kind of the mindset we should have. We shouldn't do this because we "have to be Christian" and we're obligated to. I think we should have a mentality, where everything we do, say etc. is conceived out of love, respect, and acceptance for each other no matter who they are. Once we begin to see what God saw in us and others, we might not feel our life as an obligation, but more as an genuine expression of Jesus' Love for us.
Our service to God becomes an expression of our life, and I think if we serve God with this in heart, we might have a different outlook on our service to Him. God has plans for us through our service, He wanted us to do so much more than face death, and He saw potential in "unclean" sinners when probably no one could see past it.
We should serve this way, and spread the message of an Unconditional Love that gave a greater purpose to our service.

28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
Galatians 3:28

23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.
Colossians 3:23-24
michellee.
michellee.
minion

Number of posts : 74
Birthday : 13/03 - I smell like laundry.
Registration date : 2013-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post  julie.ro Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:12 pm

I'll never know / how much it cost / to see my sin / upon the cross
This particular verse started playing in my head when I read through this devotion.

God has given his Son, Jesus, to die on the cross for our sins, so that we may have a bright future in God. I know I'll never fully understand the extent of what God has done for me, and I know I'll never be able to make up for everything he has done. Instead, we should be living every minute of our lives, devoting our every minute to God. That sounds overwhelming and difficult to me, I'll admit.

Since I joined the praise team, I've personally felt the distance between me and God close up a lot. I'd constantly catch myself singing praise songs, as opposed to, well, you know, other songs, and I found that God was somewhere in the back of my head all the time. These changes, I suppose, came with serving God more and closely. God knows I haven't been diligent in my devotions, but he chosed to serve me. And like he served me and us, I will choose to serve others. How? With love, like he showed us.  

Joshua 22:5
5 But be very careful to keep the commandment and the law that Moses the servant of the LORD gave you: to love the LORD your God, to walk in all his ways, to obey his commands, to hold fast to him and to serve him with all your heart and all your soul."

1 Samuel 12:24
24 But be sure to fear the LORD and serve him faithfully with all your heart; consider what great things he has done for you.
julie.ro
julie.ro
minion

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2013-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post  Audrey Jong Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:07 am

Hahaha my sister just asked me a question that I was not able to answer:
Does heaven have washrooms?

Anyways,
God payed the ultimate price for our safety and forgiveness.
How greatful should we be?
Our whole life with him is saved and we should glorify him and rejoice. The greatest burden ever put on a man is now been cleared. As long we we believe in him, we are eternally saved.

So how do we show this?
With our actions. What we do everyday.
Serveing God and others, using your gifts, spreading the gospel, learning....the list goes on.....

We hear this message a lot but how much do we actually take in fully? Remember that we are his children and like a Shepard, he wants us all to be safe.

An example just came in my head:
Like when birds are first learning how to fly, they jump off high places to fly. If you don't flap your wings hard enough, you will fall.

~Audrey~
Audrey Jong
Audrey Jong
Disposable

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down