Always Worship
Very Happy

Confession Leads to Transformation - September 2, 2013

Go down

Confession Leads to Transformation - September 2, 2013

Post  James on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:14 pm

Genesis 32:27
And he said to him, “What is your name?” And he said, “Jacob.”

God allows a crisis to get our attention, and then he uses the crisis to develop our character. One thing that signals we're changing is when we confess that we are the problem. We stop blaming other people and we admit, "I am the problem with my life." Until you understand this, there can be no major change in your life. This is the breakthrough God knows we need,

God asks Jacob, "What is your name?" This is a very strange request because God obviously already knew Jacob's name. We need to understand that in ancient cultures you were always named for your character, what you really were. Your name might be Tall or Short; or your name might be Brave or Lazy. You were given a name that labeled you. It wasn't just something that sounded nice. It represented your character.

That's a problem because Jacob means "deceiver, manipulator, liar." And Jacob lived up to his name! When Jacob says, "My name is Jacob," it is an act of confession. He's admitting, "I am a manipulator."

Here's the insight into this: We will never be able to change until we openly and honestly and authentically admit our sin, our weakness, our fault, our frailty, our character defects, confessing this to ourselves, to God, and to other people.

What do you need to admit about yourself?
James
Disposable

Number of posts : 411
Birthday : No one cares about my birthday. I like kids.
Registration date : 2011-09-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Confession Leads to Transformation - September 2, 2013

Post  michellee. on Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:21 pm

We can't fix our problems or change our ways unless we acknowledge them and admit to them. Instead of pretending or denying there isn't something wrong that's effecting us, we have to see that a problem or a flaw that we hold is influencing us negatively. We don't enjoy admitting our flaws, mistakes and problems, because it makes us feel shameful, and tears down some of our pride.
But the only way to get around fixing these problems are admitting to them, then changing how we address this problem issue/flaw/mistake. WE have to take that first step to acknowledging and admitting our problems to God, and WE have to make that effort and take action to change things for the better. God will carry us through this as we go through the journey to change our ways, all we need is faith and trust.

3 Commit to the Lord whatever you do,
   and he will establish your plans.
Proverbs 16:3

9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.
1 John 1:9

"Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything."
-George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by michellee. on Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
michellee.
minion

Number of posts : 74
Birthday : 13/03 - I smell like laundry.
Registration date : 2013-02-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pa Ta Rick on Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:44 pm

Whenever we encounter a problem our instinct is to find the problem but we never think that the problem could be us.
IF we are struggling with our faith, or we feel spiritually flat, we must ask ourselves what am I doing wrong? What can i change, what was i doing before when i did feel spiritually high and wasn't struggling with faith. Also we have to admit to God whatever we feel. or whatever we've done. We must acknowledge our flaws, mistakes and etc.. and ask God for strength to accept ourselves for who we are and move on serving God
LIke yesterday's message, we must surrender to God and just do whatever He wants us to do. We cannot cling onto one type of lifestyle because God can call us anywhere anytime and we must respond to Him
Pa Ta Rick
Admin

Number of posts : 409
Birthday : Snitching Since 1945. I'm a monk.
Registration date : 2011-09-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  jaake kwon on Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:47 pm

I guess this one focuses on going for an objective point of view upon ourselves.

I'm definitely one to admit that I view the world subjectively, to the extreme. To illustrate what I mean by this, 'I look at you' rather than 'Currently, I am looking at you.' It's a subtle difference between perspectives, and subjectivity puts a biased lens to one's eyes whereas objectivity is to see the world without bias. As impossible for me as it is, I feel that this devotional is to focus on having at least an objective look upon myself and my identity. Christianity promotes a lot of lifestyles, but to strive towards change we have to look at what to change. In my case, I'd look at treating myself like other people rather than treating other people like myself.

It's hard to make it simple to understand, but the idea is there; look at myself through the 3rd perspective.
jaake kwon
Disposable

Number of posts : 338
Birthday : 7.21
Registration date : 2011-10-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Audrey Jong on Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:48 pm

How can we change if you don't know what to change?
The point of realization, confession, then action is important. It will point us to who we will live to be. It's not easy to come before God and admit our wrongs but we've all done something that we are now ashamed at. We know that it was wrong and we learn from it and that's what keeps us growing. You could've gone the other way and made it a bad habit. Fully admitting what we've done wrong changes your mindset and eventually you will become stronger. And that's one step forward.
Every choice that you make affects your character. it also helps us to reflect on ourselves and be able to spot those flaws and get rid of them.
God knows you've come to that realization and that's a sign of maturation. He is always there examining your growth and is supporting you in every step you take forward.

So be open and honest to yourself and God.
~Audrey~
Audrey Jong
Disposable

Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2011-09-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sarah Oh on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:53 pm

Like Pastor Daniel said at the retreat, you are the foundation of your life. Everything starts with you.
Yes, messing up is super embarrassing and you may look foolish but being able to swallow your pride and admit that it was your fault takes A LOT of courage.
God really doesn't care what you've done in the past. If you're able to confess in front of him and truly feel sorry, then that's what matters in God's eyes.
PLus, you can learn from your mistakes so as long as you know that you did something wrong, there is always room for spiritual, mental and emotional growth.
Sarah Oh
minion

Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2011-09-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eunwoo on Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:00 am

It's easy to make excuses and blame other factors besides yourself, but when we do so, since we are not addressing the real problem, there is no change in how things were.

For example, (also in correlation with school starting) you get grades worse than you wanted. You can blame many things for this; the teacher is bad, the subject is uninteresting, too cool for school, etc. But just saying these things are not going to change the real problem, which is ultimately ourselves, despite whether or not some of these factors are actually present.

So when faced with a problem, we can either avoid doing anything about it by just giving excuses, or we can address the problem and then resolve it in the best way possible. Yes, there are cases when the fault isn't all ours, but in the end any problem is a relationship
problem that involves us.

Eunwoo
minion

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2013-08-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  James on Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:23 am

I think God leaves us in tough circumstances to mend us and allowing us to come to realization that we're nothing without Him. He breaks us, so that we can return to Him as a stronger and wiser Christian. And the first step is always admitting what kind of problem we're going through. Following, something drastic must change, so that we could substitute it with something more God-honouring. Like Grace mentioned on Saturday, the most difficult thing on praise team is controlling our pride. She clarified specifically that it's NEVER about us and we have to keep each other accountable from building up pride. We're a team and we've got to be there for one another, physically AND spiritually. We have to build each other up, especially when we're tunnel visioned, leading to the wrong path.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-12

Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up.
James
Disposable

Number of posts : 411
Birthday : No one cares about my birthday. I like kids.
Registration date : 2011-09-25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  DunNo on Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:33 am

Wow speaks to me a lot as I struggled with this sorta thing recently. Won't go way into detail, but I have been struggling with a personal sin since like november last year and I had trouble giving it up even if I knew it was wrong. During the winter retreat, I tried to give it up, but I simply couldn't. I had made progress in terms of admitting to myself and to God my problem and that it had a simple solution, but it was hard to get rid of. Finally, during the summer retreat, I resolved to give it up and try to live at least that much more of a holy life and so far it's been working. I realize now that I never understood what "weight of sin" really meant. Giving the sin up and surrendering myself to God really made my heart feel lighter. This devo is right in that we need to admit our mistakes in order to change, but one thing to add is also that the final change comes from us. Especially really personal struggles, it's completely between us and God, no one else can make the decision to change except for you. So whatever sins you may be struggling with, always look to God for help, and I hope that you will make the decision to let it go.
DunNo
minion

Number of posts : 281
Birthday : I'm Germs, a maggot.
Registration date : 2011-01-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down